Earthquake!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just had an earthquake about an hr ago.

I was sitting in my recliner reading, and heard it first. Kind of like thunder/sonic boom. Then the house quivered for maybe 5 seconds. I could hear it coming and leaving, like a wave. Not a very big one, felt like a 4 pointer.

I've experienced these some 3-4 times before. A couple 4 pointers. Last big one was in '01 and that was 7.2. So I have a sense of the magnitude.

No damage here, nothing fell off the wall or anything. But it did get my attention! And then you start wondering if it's going to be followed by aftershocks.

They say this region is overdue for a catastrophic 9 pointer. Hope I'm relocated by then!

As if I need any more drama in my life right now. Hope our Pac NW brothers made it through OK. Don't know the epicenter yet, will be looking for that on the local news in a bit.

Oh, and that 7.2 was nothing to sneeze at. Scary stuff. But that's a story for another time.

:shock:

Cheers,

RR

Talk about overdue - i'm only an 1.5 hours (on the highway) from New Madrid - yes, the one you're thinking of. :shock:

Makes us sleep better at night.   :lol!:

In all seriousness, BrewDude - glad it was only a 4 and no serious damage.

Not to sound unconcerned but, on the west coast this is sadly a common occurrence.
Although I hate to admit it, I lived in Cal. for some years and although there'd been some good ones
I was always in the right place at the right time. The year Northridge got it though I had deliveries there the day after and experienced some real good after shocks :bounce: and witnessed the devastation 1st hand. I look at earth quakes the same as I do Tornado's, ya got no place to hide so just cross your fingers and hope for the best.......Lord willing.;)

Glad to hear it didn't swallowed ya up BD, I would hate to see ya go before break'en in that pipe good first.

Rob_In_MO":ccgcv6x7 said:
Talk about overdue - i'm only an 1.5 hours (on the highway) from New Madrid - yes, the one you're thinking of. :shock:

Makes us sleep better at night.   :lol!:

In all seriousness, BrewDude - glad it was only a 4 and no serious damage.
I lived in Memphis in the late 80s / early 90s when there were rumors of a major earthquake along the New Madrid fault line on a specific date. People were buying earthquake insurance policies and emergency supplies like crazy. Earthquake panic became so bad UT Memphis stated any employee  not showing up for work that day would be fired.  The day came and went with no earthquake. Of course, if you are fond of earthquakes , move to Oklahoma where they have 3000 / year after fracking started in the state.

alsmith52":1j1f6vb6 said:
I lived in Memphis in the late 80s / early 90s when there were rumors of a major earthquake along the New Madrid fault line on a specific date. People were buying earthquake insurance policies and emergency supplies like crazy. Earthquake panic became so bad UT Memphis stated any employee  not showing up for work that day would be fired.  The day came and went with no earthquake. Of course, if you are fond of earthquakes , move to Oklahoma where they have 3000 / year after fracking started in the state.
That's funny, I lived in Cape Girardeau at that time and was a Senior in High School that particular year.  That idiot, Dr. Ivan Browning, completely ruined what was left of his reputation on that one.  :lol:

For some unknown reason, the head of Geology at SEMO University mostly agreed with Dr. Browning - saying that there was a greater than normal chance of an earthquake during that particular time frame.  A few weeks later, he resigned.   :roll:

It was supposed to hit on either December 2 and 3, 1990. As we all know, that didn't happen.  But then, he also predicted that the US Government would collapse around 1992.  :no:

Rob_In_MO":aflj5q3d said:
alsmith52":aflj5q3d said:
That's funny, I lived in Cape Girardeau at that time and was a Senior in High School that particular year.  That idiot, Dr. Ivan Browning, completely ruined what was left of his reputation on that one.  :lol:

For some unknown reason, the head of Geology at SEMO University mostly agreed with Dr. Browning - saying that there was a greater than normal chance of an earthquake during that particular time frame.  A few weeks later, he resigned.   :roll:

It was supposed to hit on either December 2 and 3, 1990. As we all know, that didn't happen.  But then, he also predicted that the US Government would collapse around 1992.  :no:

Yep that was it. Seems like there was an earthquake somewhere in the pacific Ocean that day and he tried to crawfish that that was the one he predicted. Never heard much from him after that.

Local news now says the epicenter was 2 miles out of North Bend. No wonder I felt it!

Apparently there's a fault line that runs more or less directly under my 'hood. Guess that one needed a little relief! Heh.......

Cheers,

RR

We've been having bunches of little ones the last few years since they started all the gas drilling up here. Nothing big - yet - but I'm sure we're in for one at sometime !! :twisted: :twisted:

Glad you're ok Rande. Wouldn't have been much fun running for cover with that knee of yours. Here in Blighty we don't have any significant fault lines near by. I suppose the closest is the mid Atlantic Ridge. Ergo I've never experienced even a mild tremor.

Talking of overdue events, isn't Yellowstone due to pop?

Stick":d98axwxj said:
Glad you're ok Rande. Wouldn't have been much fun running for cover with that knee of yours.  Here in Blighty we don't have any significant fault lines near by. I suppose the closest is the mid Atlantic Ridge.  Ergo I've never experienced even a mild tremor.

Aye, that's what they say mate. When that one goes off it'll be the mother of all eruptions!

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":hzp48sz9 said:
Stick":hzp48sz9 said:
Glad you're ok Rande. Wouldn't have been much fun running for cover with that knee of yours.  Here in Blighty we don't have any significant fault lines near by. I suppose the closest is the mid Atlantic Ridge.  Ergo I've never experienced even a mild tremor.

Aye, that's what they say mate. When that one goes off it'll be the mother of all eruptions!

Cheers,

RR
If Yellowstone does erupt in full fury we can ALL kiss our butts good-bye. BTW Rande I'm glad you came through without any injuries to self or property. With the big storms, wasps, earthquakes, and all you've had to deal with in the last few weeks I think you might look to see if there's a black cloud hanging over your house. Sounds like someone has been trying to get you to move to the East Coast or something.  :lol: Seriously you have had a lot of events to deal with recently and now that you've had the surgery. I believe you deserve a break. Maybe you should take the family on vacation for a few weeks. :)

AJ

Local news had some short spots on it yesterday. Seems to be pretty much confined to my immediate area. Doubt the greater Seattle area felt it at all.

Over the past few years there's been some seismic activity in neighboring towns not that far away from me, and I never felt anything from them. Just shows to go you I reckon!

Cheers,

RR

The Juan De Fuca plate is slipping under the North American plate, but not smoothly. This and the fact some areas are being pushed down while other areas are being pushed up, like an accordion, could make the feeling of the quakes differ in places not so distant from each other....

Glad your ok, BD!

I've been in so many down here I've lost count now. Luckily I wasn't here for the big one in '85. There are a few different kinds, and they're all pretty scary.

The biggest one I've been in was back in 2000. I was in the hallway when it hit, and I could see the living room tilting from side to side as if someone was twisting the entire building. Scared the s**t out of me.

The last one hit while I was in the shower. I had to grab a towel and run outside with shampoo still in my hair. ?

MisterE":1pbk8rmz said:
Glad your ok, BD!

I've been in so many down here I've lost count now. Luckily I wasn't here for the big one in '85. There are a few different kinds, and they're all pretty scary.

The biggest one I've been in was back in 2000. I was in the hallway when it hit, and I could see the living room tilting from side to side as if someone was twisting the entire building. Scared the s**t out of me.

The last one hit while I was in the shower. I had to grab a towel and run outside with shampoo still in my hair. ?

Now that would be a sight worth videotaping E!

:affraid:

Cheers,

RR

Good to hear all is well. We had a not even one pointer here in ct about ten years ago. And got an residual shock about five years ago from further away that was kind of weird to feel. I recall I was sitting in a bar about to start my second drink when I felt kind of odd lol