Easy Software to Shrink Photos

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Max

Reaction score
This might need to go under technology but I wanted to get it out to everyone. I had been trying to figure out how to shrink my photos so that when I posted them they would hog the entire screen. I've been looking at a lot of software but this is the one that I think is the easiest. It's called Shrink-O-Matic. You set the size you want the picture to be (640 x 480 is a nice size for the web for sharing) and drop the photo on the washing machine picture. It shrinks it and makes a copy right next to the original. The new photo will have the size in it's name. Here's the link:

http://download.cnet.com/Shrink-O-Matic/3000-2192_4-75354944.html

It's free of course. I'm a Linux fan (not fanatic) so I always look for the legally free software.

Yeah, I've had Irfanview before then with moving computers around, I forgot about it. Don't know why. It's a very good program done by that guy from Bosnia. I appreciate your mentioning it Kyle, it's the one I'm going to start using when I really want to change some stuff. I've been trying to use GIMP but it is SO big and can do SO many things I might not even think of.

The ShrinkOMatic only resizes and does it in one or two clicks without a lot of other things to confuse those of the brothers who might just want to shrink one of their HUGE photos so it fits better on the page. :)

I know it can be intimidating, but for resizing pictures photoshop is pretty simple and straightforward. I'm pretty sure its just two clicks. It's probably not ideal if that's all you want to do, but if you have it anyway its a good choice.

Thumbs is also a good utility photo program that lets you re-size photos as well as view them, etc.

I may be misunderstanding the problem, but why not just re-size as you post them? That seems like the easiest way to me.

Thumbs is still around? Wow, that's a blast from the past! I used to love thumbs... but then, that was around the time I discovered there were naked ladies on the internet.

Greyson":kckb7nvf said:
Thumbs is still around? Wow, that's a blast from the past! I used to love thumbs... but then, that was around the time I discovered there were naked ladies on the internet.
There are??? :oops: :oops: :oops:

George Kaplan":m8612or7 said:
I may be misunderstanding the problem, but why not just re-size as you post them? That seems like the easiest way to me.

Well, because I use Photobucket which, apparently, ain't so hot. I don't get that option when I upload. I'll check out servimg.

I tried to join but it only asked for my current login which I don't have. What am I missing?

Last time I checked (a few months ago) I found that photobucket auto-resizes images to 800 pixels wide, its the reason I stopped using them last year, and checked when a friend of mine told me they didn't... but they still do. I don't know if you need smaller than 800px, if so it wont help you.

Blue Max":aln2egwb said:
Well, because I use Photobucket which, apparently, ain't so hot. I don't get that option when I upload. I'll check out servimg.

I tried to join but it only asked for my current login which I don't have. What am I missing?
Geez, I don't know. That's just what comes up whenever I host an image here. It's done that since I joined, and I upload from my hard drive. I guess I did misunderstand the problem. :scratch:

I use imageshack mostly these days, if you want upload resizing, they do that too, optionally.

imageshackuq.jpg

I only have a PC so I use Photoshop for all my pcs. I have two files for pic on it, one for hard copy prints, the other for 'net posting. These I resize in Photoshop so that when I copy them to my PhotoBucket account they are already resized. Takes a little more effort and time on the front end, but makes things soooo much better when I go to post a pic on the 'net. KISS it :p