eBay Find: Pipe Rack

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Howard

Reaction score
This pipe rack caught my eye on eBay. I bought it thinking it was kind of kitschy, a real conversation piece, and I needed something beside a plastic tub in which to store my pipes.

It arrived today, and my wife wondered if it might be from an actual pub. So I hit Google and found a pub at Charing Cross called The Sherlock Holmes, using the same script as is on this case. So, yeah, it seems possible this piece started out at a London pub at some point in the past (the date on the painting on the doors is dated 1978, Granby Inc), somehow made it to Canada, and wound up in my hands.

That is a super cool rack with the nomencalture on the inside doors, what a great find. How cool that it is possibly from an actual pub.

The information inside the doors is awesome....great score. :cheers:

I almost bought one of those a few weeks back. There were actually a number of them made, with that same pub name, so I don't believe they came from that actual pub. It is an awesome piece though, and I am sure you will enjoy it!

I ran across one of these cabinets at a local thrift store and picked it up thinking it looked a lot like a dart board I used to have. Wasn't too expensive so I didn't even look in it. When I got it home I opened it up to find it stuffed full of all kinds of pipes. A lot were unused and there were some unusual (to me, as I am not a smoker). I don't know if it was bought that way or someone put their collection in it. Most likely from an estate sale. One large OOM- PAUL says wellington imported briar.
Just sharing while I was trying to find out a little about it
Thanks
Bo

My wife bought me one off of eBay. From what I have researched. They are from The Sherlock Holmes Restaurant and Pub in Charring Cross. They sold them in the gift shop in the '70s & early '80s. They are great pipe racks!

so awesome to see this i actually just acquired one of these cabinets the other day off of ebay. only mine doesnt have the glossary and diagrams on the inner doors, i actually sent an email to The Sherlock Holmes asking if they are still in production and if i could purchase the inserts from them. However they informed me that they havent been in production for a very long time so no luck. Either way though it looks like a great cabinet inserts or not i cant wait to get mine in the mail.

Nice find, I have never seen anything like it. Post a pic with all your pipes in it! :cheers:

I had that same pipe cabinet that I purchased back in the late 70's or early 80's. It was sold by the local J.C. Penny and also available through their catalog. I sold it when my wife had a custom-made pipe cabinet crafted for me. :D I often wish I still had the Holmes cabinet.

Jack Howard said:
This pipe rack caught my eye on eBay. I bought it thinking it was kind of kitschy, a real conversation piece, and I needed something beside a plastic tub in which to store my pipes.
A wonderful find indeed.

Very cool! You need a matching dart board and your smoking den will be complete!

Just bought one from eBay just before Christmas complete with contents for $32. Only problem was I had to arrange to get it collected, which if all goes well should be today!

Sweet! I'm watching one like this with an etched glass front on e-bay right now. With luck I may follow your lead! :cheers:

That is a very nice piece, post a picture when you get it hung and filled.