ebay password scam?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just got an e-mail from what looks to be e-bay requesting me to reset my password. It goes on to say that their database was hacked and users names, passwords, addresses, and such were compromised. It also said that they didn't feel any financial info was stolen but put forward a case to have registered users change their passwords.

Normally I'd blow this off as phishing since it always includes a link to click on which I never do. However this asked one to go to e-bay and do it there.  

I did access e-bay and there was a highlighted box on the top of the page that said "password reset". I didn't do anything yet.

So far I've not seen any threads about this on any of the forums I use which makes me suspicious. Anyone else get this and is it a scam?

Cheers,

RR

yeah, I don't know how it went for everyone but I couldn't log into my ebay account after I heard about this, forcing me to do a password reset, so I wondered if when Ebay discovered they had been hacked they changed all passwords so people could not log in to their accounts until they reset their password, kind of forcing them to do so if you will, or at least that is what it seems like in my case

I heard about it yesterday morning and immediatly changed my password just to be safe. There wasn't any box or message in my account asking me to do so....maybe I got it done before it was in place. I figured it couldn't hurt to change it as I haven't done so in a while.

Saw this on our servers support forum, I did the reset from ebay itself Buddy.  :heart: 

I got the email yesterday and thought to myself "Bite Me!, Aint do'en it!"
Loged on to eBay this morning as usual without problem but, did see a reminder of sorts that we should change our passwords.
Why? Is someone going to sell or buy something under my account?
Hope they sell something, I could use the cash. And if they buy something, no problem
I'm not paying for it, just that simple.

Hey RR. It looks to be global. I checked my watchlist and was asked to login and reset my password first. I'm no expert, but as it was generated by ebay itself, I didn't get the notion that it was squiffy...

Some phishers may have joined in with their own Emails.
It's always best to not log in with the link in the Email. Use the link you normally use.

With the info they stole, identity theft could be a cause for concern.

The hack was announced on the BBC and they advised users to change their passwords so I did it immediately, after all, the BBC would never lie would they?  :) 

Adam

I haven't logged onto my ebay account since PeePail
wanted to extend their clutches into my bank account.
It's prolly been two years now. They're dead to me.  :twisted: 

Guess it's the real deal and not phishing like I originally thought. Just went and changed my password from the site. Got a confirmation that it worked and tried it out, all seems to be OK now.

And the weird thing is that I don't really play on the bay. Just use it occasionally to get a sense of what certain things are going for.

Cheers,

RR

This old Buzzard got the notice as well. Went to the eBay site and created a new password. I couldn't log on otherwise and I have about 25 items ending shortly.

docwatson":vv3gk3mf said:
This old Buzzard got the notice as well. Went to the eBay site and created a new password. I couldn't log on otherwise and I have about 25 items ending shortly.
Strange, I loged on without a hitch.

BTW, Nice SER JACOPO!
Oh!and your photos look great also!

you guys should be changing your password regularly for any account that could involve $$$.

I too recieved an email but think I'll wait it out.
Most get an emailed notice of activity when account changes are made, items are put-up for sale or when purchased.
As they claim PP was not affected I don't see the need unless forced to by there website.
Good Luck to all, John.   :x