Ebay "sealed container" loophole concern

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't mark the question.. If they ask just tell them that you do not smoke cigerettes.. done.
A side note.. Even in the stoutest of pipe blends there isn't enough nicotene to show up in one of those 'nicotene test' thingys..
You're not going to get Small Cell lung cancer (short of sitting in a small unventilated room and smoking like a mofo) from pipe smoking.. The mouth cancer attributed to Pipe can be caused by other issues.. Not telling you to be dishonest or anything, just sayin.

A serious note on Ebay Policy though.. They had choosen to disallow tobacco before the hubbub over mail order tobacco...
Same with Firearms.. If you have a FFL lisc, or a dealer, it is perfectly legal to purchase firearms and have them shipped... Ebays policy has nothing to do with Government Regulations in this case either.. I can't prove it but I bet it's the Lawyers not the Laws that are the deciding factor in their policy.

puros_bran":a3rtxukv said:
Ebays policy has nothing to do with Government Regulations in this case either.. I can't prove it but I bet it's the Lawyers not the Laws that are the deciding factor in their policy.
I can almost guarantee you are correct. This has lawyer... "protecting the client" all over it.

"Because selling tobacco is highly regulated, most tobacco items can't be sold on eBay. Be sure to follow all applicable laws, regulations, and our policies."

I would write something almost identical to protect my client. It's vague, overbroad, and 'evidences' that ebay is trying to do the right thing... "Your honor, we can't be held responisble for the actions of the few who violate our own policies. As you can see, my client has been and is just as concerned as the Federal Government over the misuse and abuse of sales."

Look at napster, limewire, etc. It wasn't their fault people were using the program the wrong way. :roll:

That being said, lawyers don't tend to get scared of lawsuits or crackdowns without a fairly reasonable potential for danger. Who knows.

I guess I could actually look up the laws, but then that would require more than my Nostradamusian predictions of the future based on the legal double speak of some very overpaid members of my profession. :lol:

Interesting comments and information. Ebay is a good source for almost everything. If I can remember well, you were actually able to buy cigars at ebay a few years back. Now, nobody is selling cigars at ebay.

puros_bran":hualel9r said:
Don't mark the question.. If they ask just tell them that you do not smoke cigerettes.. done.
They don't ask if you smoke cigarettes any more. They ask if you "use tobacco in any way at all".

Back in the 80s, I was asked (for a life insurance policy) if I smoked cigarettes, and I said no. They asked nothing else.

They drew blood, etc, and a couple of weeks later they called and said that their tests showed that I was smoking the equivalent of a couple of cigarettes a day. I told them I smoked a pipe.

They said, "OK, we just need to know what's going on......." I can't remember for sure, but I don't think my rates increased.

Rad

It's a pretext for them to pad their bottom lines. They know we're not going to stop, so they can jack the rates up without fear of untoward consequences.

:face: