Edward's Algerian Briar pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I worked for Edward's Pipe and Tobacco shop in Atlanta Georgia in the late 70's and early 80's I might be able to help with some information on the pipes. I have severe PAD when it comes to Edward's pipes. :!:

Well, I stole a NOS bent billiard on eBay that I like a lot, and it in turn likes Bulls Eye Flake, which I decided to dedicate it to, the pipe offering no objections. It's a cross-grain with zero fills, and the bird's eye is starting to pop nicely. Has kind of a nutty flavor. "Edwards" is stamped in script on the shank, "ALGERIAN BRIAR" in small caps on the opposite side, "MADE IN" stamped in a small arc next to the shank/bit junction on underside, and inside the arc, "USA." Beneath that on the underside of the shank is a big ol' "5." I have often wondered, is that a shape number or a quality designation? Do Edwards pipes even have differing quality levels?

Gee whiz, I just talked myself into smoking it right now. Wonder how that happened? :scratch:

I've only ever heard good things about those old Edward's pipes.

I have 14 of then, all bought at the old Preston Road store back in the '70s and have to say they ALL have smoked better than many others I've bought right from the start. Edward's did a lot of stuff right, the main thing being getting the stock of aged Algerian Briar and their curing process back in the '60s. I've NEVER found ANY Edward's that is not a good smoker. I'm not as familiar with the newer pipe though I've read they are still produced by the same firm in Tampa and many are still made from Algerian Briar with their curing process. They are definately a used pipe worth buying !! :twisted: :twisted:

The pipe you have with the 5 on it was one of the board pipes kept on display out in the shops Edwards did have three digit shape numbers most of which I have forgotten. The Board pipes were mostly traditional shapes with a few of Edwards's own design thrown in the mix. The entry level pipe was the antique etch which I think was later known as the skylark I think those pipes closely resembled a Custom bilt pipe. The next grade up was the Skipper with a very unusual type of rusticated finish. The next up was a five which was the first smooth finish in that line. The next one up was a 7. In the latter days these became the royce and benton line but I don't remember which was which. From your description I would think you pipe is near the end of the Algerian briar made ones. I would think it would be no later than made in the mid 90's. It will be a great smoke no matter what you put in it! I hope that helps! and enjoy that pipe!

Hey, thanks for the info. I knew I'd discover her secrets one day. As mentioned, I had a smoke in the pipe last night and it was awesome. (Think I managed to pack the stuff right for once.)

My oldest Edwards is an Oom Paul a long time buddy gifted me many years ago when he gave up the pipe. It's stamped "Algerian Briar" and has always been a fine smoker.

Since then I've been fortunate to acquire 2 more old Edwards Algerian Briars from brother Mattia. They have been consistent great smokers. I highly recommend them.

Cheers,

RR

So Stonewall...are you still there? Any idea what a heart stamping on the bottom of an Edward's pipe shank means, if anything? Pic:

edward10.jpg
" />

My father's goto pipe was a bent billiard with a smooth finish and a gold band. It had a bowl ID of 13/16 or 7/8 maybe. There was no logo on the stem (pretty sure). I seem to remember from things he said it had been a present from my mother. His pipes came and went and were mostly coupon pipes. This one was different. After my mother's death, I found an Edward's pipe box in her desk with stamps and paper clips in it. I wonder if that was the box from the gift pipe? She told me that her uncle Bill smoked some Edward's blend, so maybe the box was from him, and she just used it for stamps.

Richard Burley":w4qbbreo said:
So Stonewall...are you still there? Any idea what a heart stamping on the bottom of an Edward's pipe shank means, if anything? Pic:

edward10.jpg
" />
From the photo the heart almost appears to have been carved rather than stamped?

Idlefellow":0uo6dljp said:
...From the photo the heart almost appears to have been carved rather than stamped?
:suspect:  If true, I'm not sure that I really want to know what the heart means, or what the pipe was used for.

Richard Burley":gxsl4011 said:
So Stonewall...are you still there? Any idea what a heart stamping on the bottom of an Edward's pipe shank means, if anything?
The way I understand it is it's his grading system sir, yours is about a mid grade and sold for around $50 back then. ;)

Cartaphilus":k94ymxdq said:
Richard Burley":k94ymxdq said:
So Stonewall...are you still there? Any idea what a heart stamping on the bottom of an Edward's pipe shank means, if anything?
The way I understand it is it's his grading system sir, yours is about a mid grade and sold for around $50 back then. ;)
They were stamped and Ron is correct. This pipe was one of their perfect higher grades. If you don't own an Edward's pipe you need to get one as ALL their pipes, lower grades thru the higher grades are some of the BEST smoking pipes you'll EVER OWN ! :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":g3gfkch4 said:
Cartaphilus":g3gfkch4 said:
Richard Burley":g3gfkch4 said:
They were stamped and Ron is correct. This pipe was one of their perfect higher grades. If you don't own an Edward's pipe you need to get one as ALL their pipes, lower grades thru the higher grades are some of the BEST smoking pipes you'll EVER OWN ! :twisted: :twisted:
Well, I do like the one I have, so I done went and got me another. Big sucker, has a one inch wide chamber. Less than 50 bucks U.S.:

edward11.jpg
" />

edward13.jpg
" />

edward12.jpg
" />

Richard Burley":udvw6z2m said:
Entirely superfluous, I would say. It seems the love affair has already blossomed. ;)

Congrats on some fine pipes!

M.

Idlefellow":mb7kbs13 said:
Lovely.  Those pipes beg the question: Why do we ever look beyond the billiard?
I hear ya'--I've thought that many times, and have the collection to prove it. Then along comes a perfect bent bulldog, and once again I stray. Briar slut, I'm thinkin'.

Funny thing. I just received the pipe pictured above and it is a beautiful pipe and quite hefty, though it balances and feels great in hand. It is now the largest pipe I have in bowl capacity. But the draft hole is tiny! I can just barely get a standard cleaner in it. It's not gunked up or anything, it's just a very small draft hole. What's up with that, Edward's lovers? Time to get the drill out, I reckon.

Richard Burley":xu0basek said:
Idlefellow":xu0basek said:
Lovely.  Those pipes beg the question: Why do we ever look beyond the billiard?
I hear ya'--I've thought that many times, and have the collection to prove it. Then along comes a perfect bent bulldog, and once again I stray. Briar slut, I'm thinkin'.

Funny thing. I just received the pipe pictured above and it is a beautiful pipe and quite hefty, though it balances and feels great in hand. It is now the largest pipe I have in bowl capacity. But the draft hole is tiny! I can just barely get a standard cleaner in it. It's not gunked up or anything, it's just a very small draft hole. What's up with that, Edward's lovers? Time to get the drill out, I reckon.
Of the various Edward's pipes I have, most have what some would think were small draft holes but I've never had any problem with how they smoked. if you are used to larger draft holes then you may feel the need to enlarge yours but I would give it a try with what it is before you do any modification just to see what you think! :twisted: