EGR Time

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgoldberg

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to go to The Hill Cigars in StL tomorrow; pretty sure I remember seeing the famous Edward G Robinson blend there, and I'm going to pick some up.

I have a tangential question: they have "basket pipes" there. I understand that you can get a Savinelli or a Peterson's or some other famous brand that way. But how do you know who the actual manufacturer was? Don't they not put the company's marks on them?

Makers usually have several brands, lines or qualities of pipes by various names (i.e. Stanwell with Scandia, Royal Danish, etc.) or you might find a "house brand" pipe (stamped with the store's name or logo instead of the maker's name) that was produced by a major maker. But these likely won't be in the "basket". While you may very well find a smokeable pipe in a basket pipe, I'd say it's unlikely that you'll find one made by a big name maker unless it's damaged or has been declared a clearance item, etc.

Last edited:
To be honest things have changed greatly over the years and I haven't looked at such pipes in quite a while but my guess is that they're likely to be cheap imports made for that purpose and bought in bulk. These days pipes that once would have been name brand seconds are probably just rusticated and sold as firsts :) ! You used to be able to find the occasional decent "basket" pipe but in my opinion those days are largely over. Here's a quote I came across in a quick google search: "Okay, now to the present. Basket pipe is a term used to often designate pipes that are of notably poor quality that even beginners should avoid. They are poorly drilled, of cheap materials, and not designed to make a pipe smoker, a friend or a customer out of the purchaser. Buyer beware." Not saying you should stop looking at them, just be careful and use some discretion. Just my opinions of course.

Last edited:
I must have misremembered about The Hill having EGR; they didn't. I asked the clerk to see if they could order it for me. If not, I'll just get it online. It's not like I don't have a dozen other things to smoke in the meantime ;-)

I didn't walk out empty handed, though. Picked up some C&D Stovepipe. Smells a bit like Autumn Evening, but not. I'll try it out this weekend.