Eh, finally got it done...kept it simple, sort of.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
Well, here it is, a first pipe carving. Hell, first time working with wood at all. Except sanding a table six years ago and re-staining it.

I have no delusions of grandeur that this came out well, I have a LOT to learn about woodworking. I just know I didn't screw this one up. I was so paranoid about the bowl being too thin, but maybe it'll smoke really nicely. I probably should have done a simpler, smooth exterior design so I could really see the grain on this, but this block was rife with sand pits, inconsistencies and knots. Probably why it was kicked down as a carver.

Anyway, it is what it is, I'm relatively happy with it--so long as it smokes okay! No doubt it's a freehander, though.

I'll let the rest of you critique and be the judge. Again, I have a long way to go, and next time, simpler approach, apply what I learned this time, lose less blood, and keep trying. 8)

6193293742_c39d2bf96e_b.jpg

6192776535_9d2963f469_b.jpg

6192776859_d75de448c7_b.jpg

6193314494_f505139a2b_b.jpg

6192768023_f5acaf68db_b.jpg

Hell, that looks good Kyle,,,it came out nice in my book,,,begs to be held and nice thick walls,,,,gnarly texture yet sophisticated,,nice job

After reading your post I was expecting the worst , but the outcome is great ,congrats on a job well done. I like the rustic finnish reminds me of tree bark , looks like it will feel good in the hand.

Thank you, guys. I kept working at it until it suited what I wanted...determination sometimes can help for lack of skill. :)

Stupid question, how do you suppose I could go about pre-seasoning the bowl? Or should I just go full-bore and start off with a nice blend and smoke-break it in?

That is a nice effort! Sort of Jake Hakert-ish.
I say smoke and start building that bowl, keep us posted.

Cake-building as we speak--I kind of wish the stem/shank were drilled a little more conservatively, this one's really opened up...but I believe the cake will make up for some of it, and I'm going to have to pack the tobacco a little firmer to take out some of the hotness until there's some buildup.

So far--heat? What heat? This one's going to be a great summertime (or anytime) pipe. Also, it does fit quite keenly in the hand--grateful for that. 8) Looks like I'm going to be putting in an order over at amsmoke.com for some more briar pretty soon, too! Round two goals: half the bloodletting, twice the finished looks. :lol: :lol:

You did an amazing job Kyle, and you say you have never worked with wood. Terrific.

Thanks for the encouragement/kind words, guys.

Yeah, not a woodworker here. Artist, yes, just not a carver. I paint, work with sound/music, write, do a little photography, but sculpting or any sort of "three dimensional" work has always seemed like magic to me. I've never had the practical sense to get set up for it or spend the money. Pipes may be the way I get into more tactile creation, as the media is (relatively) expensive, there's no real "rules" (except some basic materials and ideas) and no specialized tools (though I'm pondering getting a cheap, Harbor Freight lathe :p ) -- plus, how nice is it to use and enjoy your creation and carry it around with you? Pretty practical. :) I'm going to explore this further. Plus, I LOVE learning, not so much bleeding... but that's part of learning sometimes. :lol:

...now, I'm wondering about a "pipe tree." I saw one once, thought it was a cool idea. Just a stick with holes in it, pipes all intricately placed in a branch-like fashion... *chinscratchy*

I like that pipe!
And I'm not a huge fan of rustication, but you did a classy job. It looks thoughtfully executed, and not just gouged away at.
Cheers!
:cheers:

Harlock999":wst77crw said:
I like that pipe!
And I'm not a huge fan of rustication, but you did a classy job. It looks thoughtfully executed, and not just gouged away at.
Cheers!
:cheers:
Thank you. This brings up a good point: I've seen rustication that I've really, really liked. I've seen rustication that has made me think someone essentially just gave it to a pitbull to chew on. I was hesitant to try rustication in any fashion because A) I have no idea what I'm doing and B) I didn't want to be in the "decorated by pitbull teeth" class.

I think I dodged a bullet on going a little wild the first time out, but we'll see what my next experiment is like. 8)

Wow, that pipe's gorgeous. A true inspiration to those of us that are fearful of giving it a shot.

wintermute":yduz11pa said:
Wow, that pipe's gorgeous. A true inspiration to those of us that are fearful of giving it a shot.
Very kind words, thank you. :)

Yeah, don't be afraid of making something. Even if you don't like the way it turns out, it's still a pipe. Just don't make the walls too thin. :lol:

I am a woodworker, custom cabinet builder, finish carpenter etc, And I say you did a fine job the pipe looks real nice.

I have yet to carve my first pipe, I want to, I keep procrastinating, really I have more projects than time. But I hope my first try turns out as nice. well done

A coping saw to get basic shape. Blood. Hand woodworking tools, mostly the scallop-shaped and 45-degree ones (I don't know what they're called). More blood. 150, 300 and 500 sandpaper and sanding foam block. A micro-file set (both for sharpening the hand tools and smoothing out the peaks and valleys). A Dremel, ideally to keep the shape of the peaks and valleys. Wooden C-clamps. Polishing wheel on a variable-speed drill, blue polishing compound. Shellac (which I have heard mixed opinions and methods of use, I thinned mine out to a 4:1 ratio with denatured alcohol, just enough to seal the wood--research suggests only waxing is appropriate...it's kind of weird out there about the finish, the pipe maker's forum will confuse/clarify this more: http://www.pipemakersforum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=35 ...) and finishing with carnauba wax.