Eliminating the horrid smell of ash

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW, It has not been asked...What are you smoking? Some tobaccs leave a lot of dottle and are very damp. Some dottle smells worse than others.

I have found that it takes 3 days for the bowl to clear (dry) the somewhat sour smell from the bowl. It is probably wetness but it can be that the tars etc are oxidizing. If you can rig a box with an ozone generator and place a smoked pipe in there it would suppress the smell and clean the pipe. I have seen plans for this somewhere. That would win points from your parents also.

Red tree

May I suggest a simple candle? Maybe along the lines of a smokers candle or a fabreeze candle.. May do the trick for you.

Hi Hersie. Welcome along and good to see you've begun the journey to the gentleman's art of smoking a briar.
If you're not keen on the ashy smell, once you've run your pipe cleaner through, use the damp end to swab the bowl stroking from the bottom of the bowl outwards. I do this after each smoke and then leave the pipe to stand for a day or so in an airy place. This works for me. I usually leave my pipe on a shelf in the kitchen to settle and have never noticed any unpleasant odours. Hope this helps...

My office manager commented that the pipe smell was strong in my office.
She says, "It smells like someone has been smoking".
I reply, "They have".

The smell of the pipes is one of my favorite smells. I even like it when someone walks by with a cheap Black & Mild.

My wife used to complain that my pipes stunk up the house. What I do is after smoking the pipe I run a pipe cleaner through the pipe, take a paper towel and wipe out the bowl and then put the pipe in a leather pouch. she has never complained again. I also keep pipes after smoking in my office and no one has ever complained.