End of an era? Perhaps...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozark Wizard

Reaction score
I happened to get an email from P&C about an hour ago. 20% off everything site wide(certain exclusions apply). So I have a look...............

Sad to say, but just about everything I would be coerced into TADing again was out of stock. Some was backordered, but most was OOS. So I browsed......

Grim, very grim...... At least on my end. Might be worth the trip for some though!

There's a new sun Risin' up angry in the sky
And there's a new voice Sayin' "we're not afraid to die"
Let the old world make believe It's blind and deaf and dumb
But nothing can change the shape of things to come

There are changes Lyin' ahead in every road
And there are new thoughts Ready and waiting to explode
When tomorrow is today The bells may toll for some
But nothing can change the shape of things to come

:pale:

Cheers?

RR

I checked out about 20 blends, and found 3 in stock to order . . . wow! :shock:

Some things are in stock :face:

Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Brown Flake Unscented 16oz

Hearth & Home Signature Anniversary Kake     16oz

Hearth & Home Signature Marble Kake           16oz

The 20% off is nice! I was able to get the good old free shipping as well  :face:

Just need to get more mason jars.

Fatman":b7mce7wz said:

Hearth & Home Signature Anniversary Kake     16oz

Hearth & Home Signature Marble Kake           16oz

The 20% off is nice! I was able to get the good old free shipping as well  :face:

Just need to get more mason jars.
WOOHOO!! :cheers:

Fatman":wc8ww6z0 said:

I'm glad I snagged 4 ounces earlier!

DrT999":4ihboolx said:
Fatman":4ihboolx said:

Half of everything I buy, I earmark for gifting/bombing :pirat:

Fatman":vwbw9pxp said:
DrT999":vwbw9pxp said:
Fatman":vwbw9pxp said:

Half of everything I buy, I earmark for gifting/bombing :pirat:
No one who knows you would be surprised (unless that it was only half!) :D

edit/addition: looks like the code only works on one order

Over half of the blends I wanted were not in stock. I called P&C customer service. Was told that I could order backorder items and still receive the 20% discount and free shipping, so I placed the order. It doesn't matter to me if the items trickle in as my cellar is deep enough.

With so many items out of stock, there must be a problem at Pipes & Cigars. I don't think it can be blamed on erratic shipments from the tobacco blenders because the situation is the same with accessory items like pipe cleaners. Either they are not paying their invoices in a timely manner, or they are paying to much attention to inventory turns. You won't find the same inventory problems at smokingpipes.com

Lysander":mkqoa25p said:
Over half of the blends I wanted were not in stock. I called P&C customer service. Was told that I could order backorder items and still receive the 20% discount and free shipping, so I placed the order. It doesn't matter to me if the items trickle in as my cellar is deep enough.

With so many items out of stock, there must be a problem at Pipes & Cigars. I don't think it can be blamed on erratic shipments from the tobacco blenders because the situation is the same with accessory items like pipe cleaners. Either they are not paying their invoices in a timely manner, or they are paying to much attention to inventory turns. You won't find the same inventory problems at smokingpipes.com
Or they are doing a massive clearance for any one of many reasons (some good, others not good)?

I almost put in an order but I found myself adding things that I only half wanted so I canned it.

Old Nate":rqhv6zuu said:
I almost put in an order but I found myself adding things that I only half wanted so I canned it.
This was my take as well. SWMBO had done a quite thorough examination of recent tobacco related purchases and accused me of trying to balance the scales from my buying her a new riding mower. I asked her to what percentage had I gone to match dollar for dollar and it SEEMS that I am within sight of fifty percent. I suggested perhaps the scales should be balanced, you know, to keep an even keel? She flat out denied my budget allocation of another $2500 towards my vice. Well, THIS vice at any rate.....

(sigh) I don't know where those funds would come from anyway. I'd have to finish some more projects before that happens.....

As far as the available stock at P&C, it would be reasonable to guess that they need to clear some shelves, scale back orders, and push 'sales' to feel out the trends. It could also be that there is a bunch of fear motivated plundering going on by the consumers(us) and thus the shelves can't be filled fast enough to satiate our TAD..... I offer myself as case in point.

Yeah I usually buy from smokingpipes.com... Their selection trumps P&C and they don't make me pay tax. Only time I'm buying from P&C is if they have some great deal or I want something only they offer (Anniversary Kake in bulk or something like the Christmas Cheer I just got).

My wife has been doing the same thing with my tobacco purchases... Every time I make a purchase I get dirty looks for a week.

DrT999":cx9pgq1i said:
Fatman":cx9pgq1i said:

in Spain, for the moment, we have enough and in my cellar also

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Does anyone besides myself think that it's possible that they may be moving towards getting out of the pipe and pipe smoking business? :scratch:

AJ

ajn27511":favsietx said:
Does anyone besides myself think that it's possible that they may be moving towards getting out of the pipe and pipe smoking business? :scratch:

AJ
I've wondered that as well, AJ. But I think they're just pushing their inventory and all about the $$$. And I can't blame them for wanting to make money.

They did a 20% discount last December or so, so this may a normal thing.