Equipment Question

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crafty

Reaction score
So, what kind of power tools do you use for making your pipes? For myself I use a nice Drill Press, a 1x42 plus 8" Rikon disc/belt sander, and a dremmel for all of my pipe shaping. I have a regular wood lathe but don't have the extended jaws I've seen most use so I have never turned a pipe. I just use the first 3 items and eyeball all my pipes. :face:

I've tried twice at crafting a pipe using drill press and sander.

I think the eyeball is the most important thing.

Judging from the looks of my two pipes my eyeballs are screwed up. :geek:

I use a metal lathe, stand mount sanding disk motor (for the lack of better words) buffer, Band saw, 1-1/2" belt sander, and a Dremel type motor with flex shaft.
Oh! and a good shop vac to clean up the mess.

Most of the tools I use are 18 volt Dewalt cordless, Sawsall to harvest the raw material, drill to drill, a dremmel type tool, and a lot of hand sanding.

Would love a lathe.....

Crafty":lvxrrkb7 said:
So, what kind of power tools do you use for making your pipes? :face:

Whatever Todd Harris has in his shop. He makes all of my custom pipes. Just being a SA again. :fpalm:

AJ

I have only made practice bowls but when I start making pipes, I'm sure I will use the same tools that I use for my tampers:
Drill press
Band Saw
Dremel

I have also recently been told there is a lathe attachment for drill presses. You can be darn sure that I will be looking into that!

mark":vf95ep36 said:
I've tried twice at crafting a pipe using drill press and sander.

I think the eyeball is the most important thing.

Judging from the looks of my two pipes my eyeballs are screwed up. :geek:
Actually, if you stick your finger in a pipe and twist it around so your thumb runs along the outside, you can find places where it's not perfectly round. Sometimes it helps to use more than your eyes.

Depends on how steady your hands are. I only have have a dremel and files and sandpaper and this is may last one. Best option is to get as much bulk off as safely as you can then move to hand tools. Hand tools are slow but easier to not make mistakes. Better you get the closer you can get to the final shape before going to hand tools. I find it makes it a lot easier if you pick a pipe you already have and try to use it as a model, that way you can compare and take a little more off, compare take a little more off, and on and on till your happy with the result.

10361330_789673031104634_8023462997186597171_n.jpg

i.keenum":woum1tud said:
Depends on how steady your hands are. I only have have a dremel and files and sandpaper and this is may last one. Best option is to get as much bulk off as safely as you can then move to hand tools. Hand tools are slow but easier to not make mistakes. Better you get the closer you can get to the final shape before going to hand tools. I find it makes it a lot easier if you pick a pipe you already have and try to use it as a model, that way you can compare and take a little more off, compare take a little more off, and on and on till your happy with the result.

10361330_789673031104634_8023462997186597171_n.jpg
I like that! Well done!