Eric Furgeson made me a Journal Cover

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
All I have to say is...WOW!

I bought a new Seven Seas Crossfield journal (an exceptional product detailed below) which uses the best paper for fountain pen...Tomoe River paper which is made in Japan.

I'll get the journal itself out of the was first...

Size A5, 210x148mm, 15mm thick, (8.3x5.8x0.7 inches)
White-color (which is really an off-white) Tomoe River "Notebook" paper
5mm cross grid (not actually a full grid; rather, 2mm crosses
480 pages (240 leaves), no lines, rounded corners
Lay-flat thread binding
Flexible, tough, thin water-resistant coated-fabric cover
Ivory-colored end sheets
Comes with one A5 blotter paper
Made in Japan
$26

http://www.nanamipaper.com/products/seven-seas-crossfield-a5-grid-journal-1st-edition.html

So there's that.

I had it shipped directly to Eric. After a bit of dialog he started work. What came out is shown below. The leather is a perfect blend of being sturdy yet flexible. A fine leather bookmark is included. The look is definitely that of a hand made, one of a kind personal item. As close to perfect as one could get. I was very pleased to give my business to Eric. He did a totally professional job from start to finish.

Here's some photos:

Yes, Eric does some amazing work! That is a lovely cover, you are very fortunate Blackhorse! :cheers:

Thank you for such kind words David.  I am just happy to have been able to meet your needs.  It was a pleasure and a fun little project. I must admit I had never thought of doing this type of thing before. By asking me if I could and would you gave me the gift of showing me something else I can make.  I thank you for that my friend. It just proves the old axiom "you never know what you can do until you try " I am glad I tried!

Blackhorse":wjudmiq1 said:
Oh yeah. Eric also sent one of his great pipe stands as a bonus. Amazing.
It was just laying there looking homeless. So I thought you might be able to give it or find it a forever home. Poor sad little thing anyway. LOL

Eric Furgeson":pe74aykd said:
Hey Ozzy please let me know when your package finds you as well.
I will indeed, and please do the same when yours arrives, yes? :D

Very nicely done, we have many talented members here on the BoB. Superb craftsmanship Eric..... :cheers: :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote":54we6xkv said:
Very nicely done, we have many talented members here on the BoB. Superb craftsmanship Eric..... :cheers: :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Thank you sir. I agree we do seem to have an abundance of talent here. I truely feel we could find someone to make just about anything within the ranks of our membership.

Very attractive and useful. Wish I had that rather than a relatively useless over-engineered Saddleback Leather thing I have. I say there, BH old chap: does the show-through with that paper bother you, personally? Do you write on both sides? I have a hunch it wouldn't bother me, but then again, @$26 a pad, one can't be too careful. (Yes, I've seen their page re this subject.)

Show through, being a function of more than just the paper, has not bothered me with even the lightest Tomoe River papers. Bleed and feathering are far worse sins and TR papers suffer not at all from those. In a journal format, avoiding highly saturated very dark inks helps significantly and still leaves a myriad of gorgeous options.

If you want to know good options, check out VittaR on uTube. She has a huge number of ink reviews, each with a sample written on TR paper, rated for bleed, show through, etc., etc., etc. complete with wet and dry chromatography. Find an ink you are curious about, pop open her review, scroll to the TR section (always in about the same place on the vid) and a real life example is presented. She will typically flip the sheet over to show actual show through. The big variable is of course the pens (usually two) she uses. They vary from very juicy to fairly dry.

It's like a Tobacco Reviews site for inks but with one opinion given based on a specific testing protocol.

And yes, I do write on both sides of the sheet...so $26 for 480 pages (240 sheets per book) is FIVE CENTS PER PAGE. It's not gonna break me.

Uh oh, something showed up today.................

Wait, wait, new post pending.............

I want you to tell the piloit that I have a boom and this thread is now going to The Peoples Republic of Silly Walks!!!!!! The passangers will all be released without harm once we are there and have all proformed the national dance of the dead parrot! while singing the lumberjack song!