Erinmore Flake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedyPete

Reaction score
It's been 25 years since I last smoked this tobacco. Today I received four 50g tins after a long wait. And goodness me, I could not stop sniffing the stuff! Still the exact same hearty fruit flavour.

Then, after dinner tonight, I loaded my Davidoff Lovat to the brim with this old favourite. And no disappointment at all. Took me one hour to finish the bowl in one sitting and it was pure joy, right down to the last shred of tobacco. The fruity taste reminds me of a good schmalzler like snuff. Slow burning, not a gurgle. When I shook out the ash, the pipe was dry as cork inside. And, of course, the main feature, NO tongue bite.

One more thing, the Lavot seems to be born for smoking flakes and I will definately dedicate it to smoking this kind of tobacco from now on.

Awesome Pete! I love making those rediscoveries too!

Most recently with Peterson Irish Oak for me. Just opening the can reminded me of an Xmas years ago when I first tried it. You´re "transported" to that time and place again.

I don´t care what people say, I like Erinmore Flake too! 8)

I have a love/hate relationship with Erinmore. I find the topping quite pleasant, until about half way down the bowl is where it goes south on me. I think i need to try some diff techniques, perhaps i am just puffing faster than this tobac will accept.

The tin note is pure bliss. love the presentation in the tin.

I have tried Erinmore flake and find it very good indeed. It does not bite my tongue and therefor is in my rotation of tobaccos. The taste and room note are most acceptable!

Please educate a newbie here. Since Erinmore has a topping, I assume it is considered an aromatic. Is this a correct assumption?

I would say that it was not correct to call Erinmore an aromatic because it has a topping...for two reasons.

First...as I understand it, nearly ALL pipe tobaccos have a casing or topping (either more or less, either highly flavored or not so much) applied at one time or another during their manufactur. Many manufacturers will claim that their product is not cased, etc. when, in fact, it is...either as a matter of a difference of 'definition' or perhaps the desire to maintain a certain market perception (shall we say).

Second...to me, an aromatic tobacco is one that contains a significant level of some agent added to give the blend a specific flavor..simple. Sound like Erinmore? Well, I guess for me the difference is one of degree and the intent behind the addition. Erinmore (one age old question being, is it pineapple or isn't it?) is like many other blends...the flavoring having been added with subtlty to enhance the flavor of the original blend...not mask it. Well, sure, you say...they do that with the Black Cherry stuff too! Well then, ask yourself why Gawith & Hogwarts call some blends by a standard name and then others they add the term 'aromatic' to (like Brown Flake and Brown Flake Aromatic, etc.) when one is ALMOST as potently flavored and with an aroma ALMOST as strong as the other? At least to most of on this side of the pond. See? It's a pretty subjective thing.

Well, I guess one could go back and forth over that question and never come to agrement. Suffice it to say that I wouldn't call Erinmore an aromatic - though lots of guys would. But...oh heck! Here we go again! LOL

Ahh hell...you guys are peaking my interest in Erinmore now. As if I don't have enough stuff open at the moment.

Sometimes I really hate this forum. It's downright unhealthy for people with very little willpower or self control such as myself :lol: :cheers:

Aw...quit yer whining! I've got some open & I'll send you a sample if you want...pretty sure I still have your address around here somewhere. If you like floral Brit blends, this will be to your liking. It's maybe 1/4 of the way up the "smelly scale" if Best Brown is a zero and Enerdale is the top...my eval. anyway. lol Just say the word.

Frost":ercu5mp4 said:
Ahh hell...you guys are peaking my interest in Erinmore now. As if I don't have enough stuff open at the moment.

Sometimes I really hate this forum. It's downright unhealthy for people with very little willpower or self control such as myself :lol: :cheers:
It´s better than a lot of people say, really. I was very pleasantly surprised personally...

Blackhorse":ccbi4ws6 said:
Aw...quit yer whining! I've got some open & I'll send you a sample if you want...pretty sure I still have your address around here somewhere. If you like floral Brit blends, this will be to your liking. It's maybe 1/4 of the way up the "smelly scale" if Best Brown is a zero and Enerdale is the top...my eval. anyway. lol Just say the word.
Where does 1792 fall on that scale?

Depends on the age! If the 1792 is 'old' and has lost a lot of it's aroma (I've got some like this...lovely stuff) it might fall below the Erinmore...but if it's fresh it would be above it...maybe at about the 1/3 level (I'm just winging this scale thing here - just kinda a gut feel on my part).

Over time these flakes 'volitilize' off the aroma to different degrees...once opened. Even if kept in sealed jars, etc. (Note takers and storers of flakes take note.)

Blackhorse":94i5vhhy said:
I also like them large and in pairs!! Most beautiful sight in this world :lol: