Erlich 1960-1 Catalog

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting catalog. I like the Collectors Rack on page 24 for $28.95.

Can you imagine what the hand carved chess sets would be worth now at todays prices.

Ehrlich is no longer in business. Sorry to say. However Leavitt & Pierce located in Harvard Square, Cambridge, MA is still in business which is owned by the MacDonald Family, the former owners of Ehrlich in Boston.
I was very fond of the DPE (David P. Ehrlich) Mixture, that was blended for them by House of Windsor. A fantastic old time burley blend IMO.

Nice catalog, thank you for posting it. I saved a copy for myself naturally, ya can never have too much research material.

Awesome catalog, that thing had everything in it; also on a more coincidental note I just acquired a leather Ehrlich that would fall under shape 4 in the catalog. Thanks for the info.
~Ron

docwatson":njfvztye said:
I was very fond of the DPE (David P. Ehrlich) Mixture, that was blended for them by House of Windsor. A fantastic old time burley blend IMO.
I loved this stuff! I got my last paint can of DPE in 1993. Loooong gone now....

I thought the carve your own set was interesting. Using exacto knives??? I wonder how many people lost tips or cut their fingers. Briar seem to hard to be using flimsy blades LOL

What a magnificent trip down memory lane.  Thank you so much for posting it.  I have the 1970 catalog, and the prices have risen slightly, but not much.  Now here's the thing:  I took the catalog into Leavitt and Peirce not long ago, and the sales staff glanced at it in an off-hand manner, but displayed no real interest.  You see, none of them are pipe smokers--they're just sales clerks who will sell you stuff of which they have no real knowledge. And they certainly don't love pipes and tobacco the way the old crew did.  You can't even smoke in the store anymore.
I started smoking DPE in 1969, and fell in love with it.  I smoked it eagerly throughout a year on river patrol in the Mekong Delta.  They still sell it, but it's not the same.  The manager told me that the ingredients are 95% the same! but what a difference that 5% makes.  And the distinctive cube cut, well--that too is a thing of the past.  Cake Box is the same, the manager told me, and it still tastes like the real thing.  And Judge's Mixture is absolutely superb.  But what is most telling about that catalog is not the prices, but the sheer profusion and availability of pipes, tobaccos, and associated paraphernalia. That's all gone now, and it's enough to make one weep.  I live in Connecticut and travel to Boston quite frequently, and drop into the store periodically to pick up my tobaccos, but I'm an old codger, grasping at the threads of history.  Ehrlich's is gone, and while L&P is still there, but it just isn't the same.

I've got two old Ehrlich pipes ... both are excellent smokers.

What's up with the wick/fluid lighters that shoot the flame horizontally, on page 26? How does that work?

:scratch: 

(Maybe it didn't. I don't recognize the make, and perhaps they flamed out, went the way of the Edsel and passed into oblivion. I say that out of complete ignorance.)

There are 2 lighters on page 26 that look identical. The one on the left I have not seen before. I remember my scout leader using the Beattie in the 50's. I have 2 of them. They use 2 wicks. One for the normal vertical flame and one for the horizontal tube. If you tilt the lighter forward to heat the tube, a flame grows out. It can be used to solder and sure did scorch the rim of my cob. It make a roaring sound thus the name Beattie Jet.

loneredtree":ombno87k said:
There are 2 lighters on page 26 that look identical. The one on the left I have not seen before. I remember my scout leader using the Beattie in the 50's. I have 2 of them. They use 2 wicks. One for the normal vertical flame and one for the horizontal tube. If you tilt the lighter forward to heat the tube, a flame grows out. It can be used to solder and sure did scorch the rim of my cob. It make a roaring sound thus the name Beattie Jet.
Hey, thanks. I was curious. My high-school physics is a bit rusty; it seemed impossible. Wonder what principle I'm forgetting--or never knew.  :study: