Escudo

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfredo_buscatti

Reaction score
Is it true that Escudo is no longer manufactured by AC Peterson but instead Orlik? that right now there is no importer?

alfredo_buscatti":bh9nljl6 said:
Is it true that Escudo is no longer manufactured by AC Peterson but instead Orlik? that right now there is no importer?
Escudo has been manufactured by Orlik for years now, and no there is no importer since Lane left the game. Escudo is in the exact same position as the Dunhill line (i.e., still being manufactured and available in several European and other markets), but not available in the US - this is very unlikely to change in my opinion.

Current average price on eBay for the newer tins is $18.26, so if you can find some left somewhere, I would suggest picking them up. Good luck!

Kapnismologist":mca4u11t said:
alfredo_buscatti":mca4u11t said:
Escudo has been manufactured by Orlik for years now, and no there is no importer since Lane left the game. Escudo is in the exact same position as the Dunhill line (i.e., still being manufactured and available in several European and other markets), but not available in the US - this is very unlikely to change in my opinion.

Current average price on eBay for the newer tins is $18.26, so if you can find some left somewhere, I would suggest picking them up. Good luck!
From VSI ....

In early July (2008), Villiger Stokkebye International announced the addition of several key pipe tobacco brands to their collection. Through Orlik Tobacco a/s of Denmark, VSI will now be the U.S. distributor of Erinmore, Escudo, Sail and Troost, a group of products long favored here by pipe smokers. --- Villiger Stokkebye International, Charlotte, NC USA 28269, 704.597.0416

And according to Rich at 4Noggins ......

Not true. Escudo is distributed by Peter Stokkebye, and has been for over a year now. It is not going anywhere. The problem is that they have sold out and are waiting for a new shipment to arrive. After they receive it, it will be sent to the retailers. I would imagine you should be seeing it available again in another week or so.

And retailers are sending out the backorders. I just got my shipment today from Cup O Joes.

babysinister":a3rcesdj said:
And retailers are sending out the backorders. I just got my shipment today from Cup O Joes.
Good news. Could you post a photo of the manufacturer/distributor sticker on the back of the tin? Just curious to see a few items which might be there, including if it is just Villiger Stokkebye Intl. or if it also might list A. Oppenheimer & Co. Ltd? I assume the typical Orlik 10-digit packing number is still there (as on the old Lane dist. tins as well as the VSI/Oppenheimer dist. tins of the PS Balkan Sasieni)?

If you have time to snap a quick digital photo, that would be great. I just noticed too that JR has them back in stock as well.

Don't have access to a digital camera right now, and the one in my cellular is a POS. But I can answer your question:

"Made in Denmark by Peter Stokkebye Tobaksfabrik A/S
Imported and distributed by Villeger Stokkebye International, Charlotte, NC
www.vscigar.com"

Does not list Oppenheimer whatsis or anyone else. Below the rest of the writing (i.e., the warning text letting us know what they think of smoking in California) there is a perpendicular listing, in very small type, of a ten-digit number that begins with 091.

babysinister":nkafz0w5 said:
Don't have access to a digital camera right now, and the one in my cellular is a POS. But I can answer your question:

"Made in Denmark by Peter Stokkebye Tobaksfabrik A/S
Imported and distributed by Villeger Stokkebye International, Charlotte, NC
www.vscigar.com"

Does not list Oppenheimer whatsis or anyone else. Below the rest of the writing (i.e., the warning text letting us know what they think of smoking in California) there is a perpendicular listing, in very small type, of a ten-digit number that begins with 091.
Good enough - makes sense - 2009 production tins (there should also be a small four-digit number string as well, but the 10-digit is what is important for dating in this instance), etc. Glad someone picked it up for US dist. Now, let's see what might happen with the Orlik DH production... Cheers!

Kapnismologist":u240xit7 said:
[...] Good enough - makes sense - 2009 production tins (there should also be a small four-digit number string as well, but the 10-digit is what is important for dating in this instance), etc. Glad someone picked it up for US dist. Now, let's see what might happen with the Orlik DH production... Cheers!
In case you haven't been able to look over a new tin yet, kapnis, the four-digit number I omitted in my previous post is 5673.

Just reviewed my stash, And all of the tins have Lane limited ,Tucker Ga. as the U.S. Dist.

the number under the Fine print Escudo is:0809012103
the 4 digit # on the other side is 2250

old_salt":q2ebofg6 said:
Just reviewed my stash, And all of the tins have Lane limited ,Tucker Ga. as the U.S. Dist.

What does this mean? That I got some counterfeit Portuguese coins? They sure taste good, though...

babysinister":2c5fvgxx said:
old_salt":2c5fvgxx said:

What does this mean? That I got some counterfeit Portuguese coins? They sure taste good, though...
It does not mean anything too important for enjoying this fine Orlik made product. The long number string refers to the date, with the first two digits being the year of tinning. So, the above mentioned new VSI dist. tins were labeled in 2009 and the older Lane dist. tins 2008. Same product, just a different distributor. All of this type of info., which can get detailed, is useful for dating tins for the purposes of cellaring, etc. - enjoy your coins!

Kapnismologist":7oix1b9a said:
babysinister":7oix1b9a said:
old_salt":7oix1b9a said:

It does not mean anything too important for enjoying this fine Orlik made product. The long number string refers to the date, with the first two digits being the year of tinning. So, the above mentioned new VSI dist. tins were labeled in 2009 and the older Lane dist. tins 2008. Same product, just a different distributor. All of this type of info., which can get detailed, is useful for dating tins for the purposes of cellaring, etc. - enjoy your coins!
Aha. Thanks. That means that the long string that begins with 091 not only indicates the year, but perhaps also the month, in this case January?

[/quote] Aha. Thanks. That means that the long string that begins with 091 not only indicates the year, but perhaps also the month, in this case January?[/quote]

Exactly.

Kapnismologist":yzpeoxg0 said:
... there is no importer since Lane left the game. Escudo is in the exact same position as the Dunhill line (i.e., still being manufactured and available in several European and other markets), but not available in the US - this is very unlikely to change in my opinion.
...... Good luck!
Yep, good luck!

Aha. Thanks. That means that the long string that begins with 091 not only indicates the year, but perhaps also the month, in this case January?[/quote]

Exactly.[/quote]

Ergo, a four month plus, sealed in the tin storage period - the minimum requisite for many blends! Little Escudo tins, here I come!

bsinister, is heaven's gate anywhere near a JR? I live near one. It has been their prices of Escudo that have allowed me to build a war chest of 100 tins.

Many are 5+ y/o.

alfredo_buscatti":4iho3is4 said:
bsinister, is heaven's gate anywhere near a JR? I live near one. It has been their prices of Escudo that have allowed me to build a war chest of 100 tins.

Many are 5+ y/o.
No Heaven's Gate is where the lark sings at daybreak, according to Willy Shakes himself. Heaven's Waiting Room (also called God's Waiting Room) has many B&Ms, but only one that includes pipes and pipe tobacco, and that one is far away from me. No JRs in the vicinity or even the non vicinity.

Now I must go to change my avatar again. My youngest daughter just told me something about it that I don't identify with.