Esoterica "And so to bed"

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thistleoak

Reaction score
I just tried this blend for the first time last night.... I find it a phenomenally smooth and relaxing experience.. I love you smell of it... kinda like the smell of making fruit wine, I know it sounds weird but it is what it reminds me of. I really think this is a great smoke ( I know a lot of reviews dont agree)

ASTB was alright. From the description, I thought I'd hate it. I won't be buying it only because it suffers greatly from Esoterica's need to practically shag-cut nearly everything. I can't easily smoke really stringy tobacco for some reason, it soaks up moisture (its own or ambient) like a sponge in the pipe or it packs too loose or too tightly. Flake is much easier on me.

Flavor-wise? I didn't hate it. It's a gentle aromatic leaning cognac, pears and raisins, and yet has plenty of "tobacco flavor."

8)

One of the Esoterica Latakia's that I haven't tried. It's been on my list for a long time but I have been hesitant to give it a whirl, mostly due to the mixed bag of reviews. I don't mind the shag cut so much. It definitely is a bit different to work with and it requires a bit of dry time, not too much because it dries quicker than your standard ribbon, but I rather admire the presentation of the shaggy "E" blends.

It may be something short-lived. I guess the EU's method for combating the whole "roll-your-own" cigarette tobacco vs. pipe tobacco by definition is the cut. Stuff that was available in shag or ribbon cut is getting pressed into flake and plug. Just a few hear-say, stray comments, not sure the truth to this. If it's truth, hey, no complaints here. ASTB would be alright as a flake.

8)

I rather enjoy ASTB finding it not so much flavored as well aged. Once dried out a bit it tastes better to me and renders a clean burn. Ribbon cut is just right for me as opposed to Margate which is nearly, no actually a cigarette shag. Unpressed Penzance.

The intial flavor is good, it's interesting, but I never seem to enjoy it for more than a bowl or two. It's fine for a change of pace smoke.

Aristokles":55il6i6e said:
I rather enjoy ASTB finding it not so much flavored as well aged. Once dried out a bit it tastes better to me and renders a clean burn. Ribbon cut is just right for me as opposed to Margate which is nearly, no actually a cigarette shag. Unpressed Penzance.
No way I'd say Margate is unpressed Penzance. If it is, I'd be shocked, and suggest Esoterica press everything they make. :lol:

8)

I found a stash of this marked at $8.99 a tin so i bought them all. They must have been on the shelf for years to begin with so I can't wait to see what they hold in store for me. Also had a few Butera Latakia #2's for $7.49 a pop.

Didn't bother picking up any Davidoff Mild Mixture,even at $6.50 each.

Was a nice day of hunting new smoke shops.

Kyle Weiss":tl20p4iv said:
Aristokles":tl20p4iv said:
No way I'd say Margate is unpressed Penzance. If it is, I'd be shocked, and suggest Esoterica press everything they make. :lol:

8)
Sorry if I was unclear. I find ASTB to be unpressed Penzance, not Margate. Heavens, no.

Joeluka":wiypw13d said:
I found a stash of this marked at $8.99 a tin so i bought them all. They must have been on the shelf for years to begin with so I can't wait to see what they hold in store for me. Also had a few Butera Latakia #2's for $7.49 a pop.

At those prices I would say you found some truly "aged" 'bac ! Good deal :p

monbla256":jqzx5q1h said:
Joeluka":jqzx5q1h said:

At those prices I would say you found some truly "aged" 'bac ! Good deal :p
Thanks. Problem is I'm running out of shops to find these forgotten gems. Gotta be 500+ smoke shops on Long Island and maybe a dozen of them have anything better that the generic Altadis bulk tobacco bags. Won't stop till my car is stuck in sand.

Aristokles":1irknxjd said:
Sorry if I was unclear. I find ASTB to be unpressed Penzance, not Margate. Heavens, no.
Interesting. I'm very glad I don't find Penzance to be anything even close to ASTB. :lol:

8)

Kyle Weiss":usol43su said:
Aristokles":usol43su said:
Interesting. I'm very glad I don't find Penzance to be anything even close to ASTB. :lol:

8)
And neither did I until I revisited the blend after months of sitting in my tobacco cabinet, and THEN not until I got to the last 1/2 the tin. I'll pick up another tin tomorrow at El Fumador, pricey but he's got it.