Esoterica Peace Haven

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedyPete

Reaction score
I made one big mistake tonight!

I ordered 8oz of this tobacco which, with shipping, cost me R850.00. Shipping is more than what the tobacco costs.

Only AFTER placing the order, I read some reviews on the tobacco. It seems as if it's not worth the staggering amount which I've forked out. Could have bought me a nice pipe for that money :(

But I so wanted some Esoterica (or what ever the name is) that I went quite silly.

Now I won't be able to buy anything next month :evil:

It's a good blend. Especially with a little age on it!

Pete, $78 US dollars is quite a bit, if I were you I'd just cancel the order before it's too late.

Cartaphilus":2tiwjmqo said:
Pete, $78 US dollars is quite a bit, if I were you I'd just cancel the order before it's too late.
It's $85.00 Cart! But you know what happened? No, you can't know, of course!

I was refunded $16.00 without asking for it!! The tobacco was only $37.00 and they gave me the refund on the shipping which was $48.00. So I've paid $37 for the tobacco and $32 for shipping which makes a total of $69= R690.

I've ordered this tobacco from CupOJoes and someone from their staff must have read my post!

For me it's a big PLUS for them. Will order from them again if they've got something I really want and I can't get it from 4noggins.

I'm not going to smoke the tobacco right now. Will keep it for a while to age it a bit.

SpeedyPete":zit5s7om said:
Cartaphilus":zit5s7om said:
It's $85.00 Cart!  But you know what happened? No, you can't know, of course!

I was refunded $16.00 without asking for it!! The tobacco was only $37.00 and they gave me the refund on the shipping which was $48.00.  So I've paid $37 for the tobacco and $32 for shipping which makes a total of $69= R690.

I've ordered this tobacco from CupOJoes and someone from their staff must have read my post!

For me it's a big PLUS for them. Will order from them again if they've got something I really want and I can't get it from 4noggins.

I'm not going to smoke the tobacco right now.  Will keep it for a while to age it a bit.
SP, I hope you like it. $69 for 8 oz is pretty dear!

:silent:

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":eh8vf2sa said:
SpeedyPete":eh8vf2sa said:
Cartaphilus":eh8vf2sa said:
It's $85.00 Cart!  But you know what happened? No, you can't know, of course!

I was refunded $16.00 without asking for it!! The tobacco was only $37.00 and they gave me the refund on the shipping which was $48.00.  So I've paid $37 for the tobacco and $32 for shipping which makes a total of $69= R690.

I'm not going to smoke the tobacco right now.  Will keep it for a while to age it a bit.
SP, I hope you like it. $69 for 8 oz is pretty dear!

:silent:

Cheers,

RR
Beggars can't be chosers ! I actually have to beg the sellers to ship to my country

I'm glad you got a little refund anyway and I hope your able to enjoy it for the most part.
I've done the same thing before being in a hurry and not paying attention
but, was lucky enough they wouldn't ship to me at all. Live and learn, we certainly won't make that mistaken twice. ;)

BTW, whats the story about not wanting to ship to you? Is there some law like there is with us and the United Kingdom with credit card and tobacco?

Don't feel to bad.. I could tell you if the time I got in a bid war for a Castellini pipe on eBay thinking it was the cheapest Castello a man could ever score. Taught me to never bid on ebay without my glasses.

puros_bran":ywnbha5s said:
Don't feel to bad.. I could tell you if the time I got in a bid war for a Castellini pipe on eBay thinking it was the cheapest Castello a man could ever score.  Taught me to never bid on ebay without my glasses.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Or after a few beers...

Old Nate":9jfxtw1k said:
$85 ouch!
Eight dollars and change for an ounce of tobacco is still a better deal than prices on premium cigars. Especially considering shipping to Capetown. ;)

A fellow board member recently sent me samples of various Esoterica tobaccos, including some that are under appreciated. I have been smoking them this week, conducting cross comparisons. They are all quite good, some better than others. But none of them have been bad. That said, I bet the Peacehaven is at the very least pleasing to smoke.

Simple Man":hsb14lx4 said:
puros_bran":hsb14lx4 said:
Don't feel to bad.. I could tell you if the time I got in a bid war for a Castellini pipe on eBay thinking it was the cheapest Castello a man could ever score.  Taught me to never bid on ebay without my glasses.
Haven't touched a drop since March.

Cartaphilus":snq78mkg said:
I'm glad you got a little refund anyway and I hope your able to enjoy it for the most part.
I've done the same thing before being in a hurry and not paying attention
but, was lucky enough they wouldn't ship to me at all. Live and learn, we certainly won't make that mistaken twice. ;)

BTW, whats the story about not wanting to ship to you? Is there some law like there is with us and the United Kingdom with credit card and tobacco?
Cart, it's because I live in south AFRICA.......when the guys see AFRICA they think about lions walking down Main Street and post offices where you you leave your stuff under a piece of rock. They see naked guys dancing around a big bellied black pot on a huge fire while cooking a live missionary

Now, this might still be true in darkest Africa but I live in Cape Town. We've got a decent post office system (although they were on strike for a couple of months recently).

The main reason why sellers won't ship to Africa is because they've lost lots of orders which went awol. But that's Africa and not South Africa. Hard to explain to the guys though.

puros_bran":3ov4lths said:
Simple Man":3ov4lths said:
puros_bran":3ov4lths said:
Haven't touched a drop since 24th of December 1993

Good on you Pete!!!

I fell off the wagon in 2013 for about a six month period. Ain't proud of it but it is what it is...

How do the retailers ship to you? A medium USPS flat rate box is $61
A small (might hold two of the Dunhill tins) is $26. Surely fed ex or ups gives a better rate.

puros_bran":iwec7t0l said:
Good on you Pete!!!  

I fell off the wagon in 2013 for about a six month period. Ain't proud of it but it is what it is...

How do the retailers ship to you?  A medium USPS flat rate box is $61
A small (might hold two of the Dunhill tins) is $26.    Surely fed ex or ups gives a better rate.
I receive my stuff via USPS First Class International Service.  4noggins charge me $28.00for a package which normally holds about six 50g tins.  I buy all my tobacco from them but they don't have any Esoterica I want.

There are dealers who's tobaccos might be slightly cheaper than at 4noggins but I lose out on the shipping. I've tried all of the sellers who are willing to ship te SA but my best deal and service still come from Rich.

puros_bran":98cfh7pj said:
Simple Man":98cfh7pj said:
puros_bran":98cfh7pj said:
I don't drink either, just joking.

SpeedyPete":c8z2pfmb said:
There are dealers who's tobaccos might be slightly cheaper than at 4noggins but I lose out on the shipping. I've tried all of the sellers who are willing to ship te SA but my best deal and service still come from Rich.
Rich is the man for anyone outside of the US borders. For me the sweetspot rests around 10 cans/1 kilo (2.2 pounds). That lets me ship with USPS First Class International Parcel, at between 30 and 40 bucks. Spread out over all the ounces it's really not that much of an additional costs and there's of course no comparison between his selection and my local B&M's.