Estates Vs. New and the diffrences

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just send the stummels to Dr. Dave for some ozone chamber time when they're ghosted. Simple, effective and next door to cheap. Can't beat it with a stick.

:face:

Dutch":5bgwlb9v said:
I believe it was Rick Newcomb who pointed out in his book, that we all eat from silverware in public restaurants that have very high milage, but that have been disinfected satisfactorily.
Rick clearly never worked in a restaurant. I use that analogy but since I'm in the restaurant business, I add that sometimes flatware is the most unsanitary item in a restaurant. I'll put the sanitation of my pipe stem up against the flatware and dishware of many local restaurants.

If you are looking for estate and want to roll the Ebay dice, chose a seller who has a good reputation until you learn what to look for in an estate. Mattia76 typically has some excellent estate pipes available the are sold for reasonable prices. SmokingPipes.com is also another place to buy a trouble-free estate, although you will pay top dollar (usually with no regrets). SmokersHaven, Pulvers Briars are also great places for quality estates.

I watch a lot of pipes from the makers I enjoy. That helps give me perspective on what a pipe sells for. Or, for much I could resell a refurbished estate.

I get as much enjoyment out of refurbishing old estates as much as I do smoking them. Enjoy the ride!

When I first started smoking, I was buying new pipes from Tinderbox, and worked up a collection of new nice pipes in a few years time. I found a store here in Memphis, that was closer to home, offered better customer service, and I started buying new pipes from them as well. - I pretty much cut off my ties to Tinderbox, unless I was jones'n for some Black Russian, Midnight or a 1 off on an english Blend they had.
I noticed the manager of the store bought and restored estates and resold em' through the shop.(at this other store)
I have soo many nicer pipes now, that ive bought Estate.
2 Sav. Autographs (grade 4s), a Savinelli Silver Series lovat (40 bucks, great shape), Savinelli Oscar Canadian that I payed around 25 for, and a nice 315 Sav. Pisa, ive also bought some an Edwards S grade Freehand, and a few old 50's/60's Comoys.
This guy cleans them up real nice, and offers them at an amazing price(imho), and this is why I continue to return as a loyal costumer.
So with all that said, I agree with some of the other posters who state that when you buy Estate, you sometime can get a piece that you would no longer be able to buy in a store.
Now, after talking about this, I have the urge to go look for some estate pipes now..

I like estate and heres why. First I've always been into vintage stuff and antiques, especially stuff I can use. So saying Im smoking a pipe that's 40 or 50 years old is just cool to me.

I also subscribe to the notion that "they don't make em like they used to". Things were just made differently back then.

I like hunting for the deal and cleaning up that old pipe, there is a certain satisfaction it brings.

I obviously, like most people, like saving money so the price has to be right too.

Im not going to say Ill never buy a new pipe, I have and I will again. However I can see the bulk of my collection being estates.

Zeno Marx":bp7jmgtr said:
Dutch":bp7jmgtr said:
I take good care of my pipes, and hope after I am long gone, some new pipe smoker will one day enjoy them as much as I have.
I wish we approached everything we own and everything we manufacture with this perspective. There's a responsibility beyond us and our years.
Heck Zeno, I wouldn't even mind if a radical left winger ended up with a few of my best briars between their teeth! :geek:

Dutch":ce0sf6is said:
Heck Zeno, I wouldn't even mind if a radical left winger ended up with a few of my best briars between their teeth! :geek:
Maybe it would even mellow them a bit lol.

I am 23 years old, and i ve been smoking pipes for allmost 2 years now.
Only 3 out of the 21 pipes i use were new when i bought them.
I started buying estates on ebay because the prices were extremely low, in order to make a rotation. I am a student and dont have much money, so i was interested in branded cheap pipes that would smoke good, no mater if there were problems on their outside. I bought 4 Stanwells (9mm, :evil: ) for about 20 dollars each. I started asking and learning tecniques to restore them. When i started smoking without filter, i started buying english estates. I like them very much. One day i desided to buy an old unsmoked irwin pipe (gbd second) tha i believe to be dated at least 15-20 years back. It does not please me as much as estetes of that age. Maybe its just a bad pipe, but i believe estates are better smoking than new ones.

Rob_In_MO":xaeuuee3 said:
And if you are a real Cheap-Ass - you'd buy Estate Cobs! :mrgreen:
It all depends!!

I bought an estate MM cob and paid way to much for it. But, I wanted it!

It's a very old bulldog with 14k gold plated band and amber stem.

SpeedyPete":7kzli4dl said:
It all depends!!

I'd really like to see a picture of this

IndySmoker":0ox7ly3g said:
SpeedyPete":0ox7ly3g said:
It all depends!!

I'd really like to see a picture of this
Me too!

Since the eBay posting won't be up for long, I'll post a pic of it that will stay up.

bulldo10.jpg

Very Nice and love the Gold band!

Rob_In_MO":0rsyula6 said:
Since the eBay posting wont be up for long, I'll post a pic of it that will stay up.

bulldo10.jpg

Very Nice and love the Gold band!
Much obliged, brother!!

A cob bulldog? And I thought I've seen it all! :cheers: You paid roughly $34 some-odd dollars? Seems high for an estate cob, but considering I didn't even know they existed, how cool is that? :D

GREAT purchase.

tso-giannis":l8cfuz2h said:
Great looking pipe, but where does the corn stop?
The shank is made out of corn as well and fitted/fixed to the bottom/heel of the bowl. So, the corn stops at the stem!

This corn cob bulldog.., what's it's pedigree? I mean, was it a regular or limited production special piece? I'd like to know more about it.

10 minutes later........Ahhhhhhh!!! I see!
Corn cob heaven

TheSmokeamater":b8wqoof8 said:
This corn cob bulldog.., what's it's pedigree? I mean, was it a regular or limited production special piece? I'd like to know more about it.
The bulldogs were made many, many years ago by MM in limited numbers. The original MM sticker is still on the pipe.

I've emailed MM, asking them whether they would consider re-introducing this pipe. Received good and bad news:

Good news, yes they've got it on their schedule

Bad news, it requires extra large corn cobs. They do have same which are in the process of drying. This takes two years!!

So, we will just have to WAIT!!

SpeedyPete":6j565pxf said:
tso-giannis":6j565pxf said:
Great looking pipe, but where does the corn stop?
The shank is made out of corn as well and fitted/fixed to the bottom/heel of the bowl. So, the corn stops at the stem!
I'm sorry brothers but this is wrong.

The pipe has got a hardwood bottom and the shank is glued onto the side of the bowl. Apparently there is a tenon-like extention on the shank which goes into the bowl.

This must have taken much more time to make than the current cobs and that's why MM stopped production. Cost maybe did not fit in with the retail price pipers were prepared to pay for a cob.

But me, I will pay a LOT of money for a new bulldog cob!!!