Ever Had A Pipe Change Smoking Characteristics On You?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trout Bum

Drag Free Drifter
Reaction score
I've got this really unique (I've never seen another like it) Rinaldo rusticated egg that has been a disappointing smoker for me, up until just recently, that is. This pipe came with no bowl coating and is still fairly new to me (I have had it for a year and a half or so), so perhaps it is just slow to break in... whatever the reason, the last four or five smokes I have had from it have been absolutely top tier. I have heard that Dunhills can be like that, but have never owned one myself. Just curious if any of my fellow pipesters here have had a pipe turn from mediocre to astounding in terms of smoking characteristics... thanks in advance to any and all replies. For the record, I am smoking 1792 out of it right now, and I am pretty much LOVING it!

Currently in the zone,

TB

I have had the same experience--and with a Rinaldo. It broke in slowly, but is now a great pipe. Incidentally, I smoked 1792 in it the other night. I have had similar experiences with Petersons: I think they break in with a glacial celerity.

Wiley

Sounds like you finally 'broke it in'...

I had a Bjarne bent ball that did that... Took FOREVER to break in.. I would smoke it, be disgusted and want to ebay it off, then I'd remember the kids got it for me for Fathers Day and put it back in the rack... Couple weeks later I'd smoke it again, be disgusted with it, decide to ebay it off, remember the kids got it for me, and put it back in the rack.... Went on for well over a year.. One day I picked it up, smoked it.. Said WOW! I'm glad I never got rid of this one, its awesome.. Lol.

FWIW: Petes break in much better if you sand out the bowl AND the shank.

ftrplt":4iou3pgx said:
TB...Did you change tobaccos by chance!! FTRPLT
I thinking the same thing, sometimes a pipe needs that special tobacco to make her sing.

Hmmm.... now you guys have got me thinking... I have smoked everything from Old Gowrie to Frog Morton in it, trying to find a good "fit," and it just never seemed to shine with ANYTHING. Today I smoked 1792, and it did truly "sing," but I can't recall what other tobaccos I have had in it these last five smokes or so. Maybe I'll just dedicate it to 1792 and call it good!

Trout Bum":nlzwzesn said:
Hmmm.... now you guys have got me thinking... I have smoked everything from Old Gowrie to Frog Morton in it, trying to find a good "fit," and it just never seemed to shine with ANYTHING. Today I smoked 1792, and it did truly "sing," but I can't recall what other tobaccos I have had in it these last five smokes or so. Maybe I'll just dedicate it to 1792 and call it good!
You just uncovered the problem. It probably took a year to get the Frog Morton ghost out of it! :eek:

I have a Rattray poker that was like that. I couldn't get a good smoke out of it for a year. It is finally beginning to behave.

Then there is that Stanwell HCA that still hasn't broken in after over three years....