Ever had tobacco taste better in Briar than Meerschaum?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bentbulldog

Reaction score
Hey Fellas,

I'm sure this topic comes up a lot.

I have a meer that I use to try out blends before they go into my briars.

I had a bowl of Black Cherry Twist and wasn't all that impressed. I've heard Meer imparts a neutral taste to the blend, but have you ever had a case where you took a chance, put the blend into Briar and it turned out brilliantly?

I wouldn't want to give up on a blend when it could be magical but I wouldn't want to ghost my briar either.

Many thanks

This happens a lot with me. I find many blends taste better (to me) in a briar then in a Meer.
That's probably just my taste but, many seem to mellow in a briar.
I have a friend that has been a pipe smoker way before I knew what a pipe was and he hates Meers, so I think it's to each his own when it comes to what tastes better in what. ;)
I use a cob to test blends out that I fear may ghost a briar only because there cheap and replaceable but, I hate cobs really because of the fact that I smoke mostly flake and it's hard for me to get a proper pack in a cob because it drags on the inside of the rough bowl and when you think it's tight it's loose or vise versa. Just my opinion YMMV. ;)

I have smoked many blends in both Meers, Briars and Cobs and feel that the Briar adds a slight sweetening aspect to many of the blends, especially oil cured Algerian briar. I don't discern any added "flavor" when smoking a blend in my meers and as far as Cobs go my feeling, taste wise, is that they add a sort of "earthy" flavor to a blend and as Ron has pointed out are a b***h to smoke a flake in !! :twisted: :twisted: As far as which is 'better" I can't say either way as each is different and are enjoyable individually for what they do. If I feel "earthy" with a blend, I'll smoke it in a Cob, if I want a bit more "sweet" I'll smoke it in a briar! :twisted: And of course one get's the BEST ketchup flavor in a Briar :twisted: :twisted:

mark":76gsigy2 said:
I wouldn't say better, just different.
This is what bugs me a bit. Even in Briar, the same blend can taste different in different pipes, sometimes better or worse.

I can buy a cob, love the blend, then get something else in the briar, or the reverse.

How can you determine if the blend is worth pursuing?

This is one reason I have become reluctant to sell any of my pipes. If a given block of briar is destined to give a superior smoke with a particular blend, wouldn't it be a shame if I sold a particular pipe before I found a perfect tobacco match?

This is one of the best excuses I've ever had, for growing my pipe collection beyond reasonable numbers.

Dutch":3920cv0y said:
This is one reason I have become reluctant to sell any of my pipes. If a given block of briar is destined to give a superior smoke with a particular blend, wouldn't it be a shame if I sold a particular pipe before I found a perfect tobacco match?

This is one of the best excuses I've ever had, for growing my pipe collection beyond reasonable numbers.
Wise this is. Wisdom it is. Harken and understand, my young voyagers!
yoda-725x1024.jpg

Cheers,

RR

I do not own any meers.

Smoking a meer is to me like cooking in a stainless steel pot, no character.

Smoking a briar or cob is like cooking in a black, cast iron pot, lots of character.

But, that's me and I do not argue with anyone who differs

bentbulldog":sy6r2e3p said:
mark":sy6r2e3p said:
I wouldn't say better, just different.
This is what bugs me a bit. Even in Briar, the same blend can taste different in different pipes, sometimes better or worse.

I can buy a cob, love the blend, then get something else in the briar, or the reverse.

How can you determine if the blend is worth pursuing?
All of the above can be true! THAT is what makes pipe smoking so ENJOYABLE !!! If you want mechanical sameness, get an APP for your I-Phone and put up your pipes and just enjoy VIRTUAL smoking !! Pipe Smoking is a widely VARIABLE thing and should be enjoyed for this FACT !! Just like in society, DIFFERENCES are GOOD !! :twisted: :twisted:

I own a few Meer's but seldom smoke with them as I much prefer the character and charm of Briar, just personal preference towards Briar on my part there.

SpeedyPete":e36fbmct said:
I do not own any meers.

Smoking a meer is to me like cooking in a stainless steel pot, no character.

Smoking a briar or cob is like cooking in a black, cast iron pot, lots of character.

But, that's me and I do not argue with anyone who differs
I love those analogies and I do know what you mean about cast iron pots for cooking in, don't own any these days bt my late Bro' and I used to cook in iron pots and they really did cook far better than these modern crappy pots and pans.

Is there anyone out there who prefers a meer to Briar? I've been contemplating a meer purchase and have my eye on one in particular, but after reading this thread and hearing about "flat" smokes, not so sure I want a meer...