Ever had your tobacco review stolen?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrumsAndBeer

Reaction score
Less than a year ago I reviewed Long Golden Flake. 9/23/2012

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=L&TID=1692

The other day I was shopping around for a few of my favorites. It was then that I noticed a review that looked hauntingly familiar. I thought to myself, "Wait a second, I don't post reviews here. I don't go by KAP, and I don't have anything to do with Travis AFB."

Color me plagiarized.

http://pipesandcigars.com/longgoldencake.html#.Ue2BzI21GCk

WTF? :scratch: :?: :?: 

:lol: 

smells like overzealous pnc employee is populating their reviews with entries from tr
lame

sisyphus":8wjc36b5 said:
smells like overzealous pnc employee is populating their reviews with entries from tr
lame
that was the first thought that crossed my mind..Too funny, and yes if that's the case "Very Lame."

I have copied some of my OWN reviews from TR to PNC. I am reasonably certain that none of mine are written well enough to make someone else want to "borrow" them. I can imagine it was quite a shock to find your words in another person's review.

Not to toot my own horn, but I much prefer my reviews over others. That said, the amount of personalization might be copied, but never replicated. Uniqueness is a copyright protection in and of itself. Not to mention, with the craziness I put forth, one would have to be equally mad (or idiotic) to steal anything I produced. :lol:

Still, that's damn funny. I'd do some research on who did it, track down his original reviews, throw in some crazy lines, and post them.

"FVF is as smooth as the silk thongs I wear!"

8)

Hmmm, I wonder if the person who copied your review gets paid to "write reviews". I work in the field of internet marketing, and I know for a fact that this is a common practice. Typically though you are shooting for original reviews...not stolen ones. :suspect: 

I'd take it as flattery too, but I bet it was odd seeing your writing in someone else's name like that.

While to my knowledge none of my tobacco or wine reviews have been stolen, but I know wine reviews and other data from review sites have been copied, 'data scraped', and 'mined,' so I am not surprised tobacco reviews have been as well

Could have been an internet marketing company or a intern. Mega lame though.

Oddly, D&B, I have read all your reviews on tobaccoreviews.com. I find them very insightful, and well written. So, it really doesn't surprise me that you have been plagiarized.
I would however contact them and ask that they give credit where the credit is due.

In today's world of tweets and such what do you expect? Everything's fair game to many folks these days it seems. It doesn't excuse it in ANY way but I'm afraid it's probably gonna be the world we live in. :face: 

Thanks Dan, I appreciate the compliment. I am on the fence about contacting them though.

Monbla, you're right. Hey, I am only 41, but I still went to school and graduated college prior to the proliferation of the a vast majority of the "Oh Mighty Interweb," back when plagiarism was seriously frowned upon and you couldn't just cut-n-paste a writing assignment. That said, my reaction to stealing someone else's written efforts is still that of suprise, as it should be. But the internet has truly changed everything.

At this point I am positive that someone was probably paid a small fee to crawl some sites and fill out some content on a certain said site. It's funny, it's lame, it's strange, and yes it's stealing, but I put it out there for free so I can't expect it to be treated with very much respect.

This was brought to my attention last night. To say that I was upset would be an understatement. The issue has been addressed, and I can tell you in no uncertain terms that it will never happen again. My apologies for this incident.

Russ

Thanks Russ, I appreciate you taking care of this.

& I agree with Yak.

Furthermore, I feel I owe you an apology for openly assuming any possible inside involvement. Please accept my sincere apology for that, and once again Thank You. :D 

Chris

No offense taken. It shouldn't have happened in the first place and I'm just glad that it was brought to my attention. It's being removed from our site as I write this.

Russ

There is an additional solution to this--

...obviously D&B needs to be writing tobacco reviews for P&C.com.   :cheers: Why not replace the "copycat" with the real thing?   :mrgreen: I'm sure he'd love to sample some tobaccos and take notes.

8)

Kyle Weiss":jhh88rci said:
There is an additional solution to this--

...obviously D&B needs to be writing tobacco reviews for P&C.com.   :cheers: Why not replace the "copycat" with the real thing?   :mrgreen: I'm sure he'd love to sample some tobaccos and take notes.  
8)
+1

That is the best idea I have heard all year IMO.
Like I said before, I love D&B's reviews.