Ever Use a Glass Dip Pen?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Tonight I ordered another glass pen. I have two others. But this one seemed cool...it has a unique square shape, cobalt blue glass, straight groves instead of spiral on the nib. And for $22 shipped, it seems like a good thing.

These are great for testing inks and doing writing samples. They write a lot more than you would think. I can get a shirt sentence out if the ones I have. The nibs give a lot of feedback and kind of “sing” when writing. They’re easy to grip and write with - don’t feel awkward.

Plus...they are GORGEOUS.

I think this Cobalt Blue Pen will go especially well with Baystate Blue ink!

Those are awesome looking pens. I watched a utube video on them the other day. I’m just getting my toes wet again with fountain pens. Please don’t tempt me with something cool looking as those.

You really do need one.

Your collection isn’t really complete without one...or two.

It will save you money in the long run.

It could easily be just a little something from Santa.

Close your eyes and FEEL the glass gliding across the paper.

The rest of the family would be glad if you picked something like this for yourself.

They gleam and wink at you as the light sparkles through the glass.

One is calling to you...calling to you...calling...calling...calling...

Ho, Ho, Ho!  :santa:

https://youtu.be/AocC9BYYR88

I have had one in the past. They are neat but I never used it for any practical reason. I prefer standard fountain pens for regular everyday writing. The glass pens do look really REALLY nice though.

The glass pens aren’t thought of as being for extended writing.

People use these mostly for choosing a “new” or “different” ink to write something or test an ink...since you don’t have to go through a lengthy cleaning process...just rinse and wipe it off.

Also nice for quick, impressive sticky notes.  The regular 3M paper sticky notes work fine and with the right ink won’t feather but there are also sticky note pads made with fountain pen grade paper...

https://www.jetpens.com/Midori-MD-Sticky-Memo-Pads/ct/4349

Those are some handsome glass pens Blackhorse.
The title piqued my interest. I turn pens, but have never heard of 'glass pens'.
Very ingenious way to test an ink prior to committing.
Also, could add that special touch to sentimental letters.

I haven't written with mine in years.  Still packed away from when I retired.  Dug the box out and some inks I have not seen in years.  Great for using up the last bit of ink in a bottle.  Like writing with a smooth nail.  But the glass nib holds a fair amount of ink.

(Photo size reduced so the text size remains large enough to read)

PS: Guys - I’ve been copying posted photos to my iPad, editing them out of your posts and re-posting them in a greatly reduced size so that their initial extreme width doesn’t render the text so small I can’t read it.  Pics wider than about 650 really screw things up.

Blackhorse":7n603u98 said:
Does the Whaleman’s Sepia change colors for you upon drying?

It looks different depending upon how wet the nib is. More ink, more likely you will see shading with a bit of red on the edges. With this dip pen it just lightened slightly.

Probably my pics. I just let the editor adjust the size. 800x something I think. I have another pic. Let me see if I can change it with the editor and not have to open Gimp to resize. I like the big photos on the widescreen monitor. Never thought about iPads before.

So here is something you may run across in a pen show.  Or at an antique mall.  

A Japanese made pen.  Fills from a bottle.  Turn the black ring to the gap and press the half-moon clip to compress the ink sac while dipping the pen into the bottle up as far as the black section.  Then release and it sucks in the ink.  Made in the 1960's, maybe 1950's.  The glass nib is amber in color.  Also writes like a nail. Yeah, when uploading it let me set it at 640px.

OK...a vac filler glass nib pen...now THERE’S something unique.

Yeah that 640 works great.

I used to have to save a photo to a specific site to then copy it to here. But now I just save it to my iPad then shove it over straight from my photo files - able to choose one of three sizes or none. It’s SO fast and easy. I use the screen icon button to the right of the button that’s a screen and floppy icon. It makes a huge difference.

If I find an oversized photo I copy it then cut it then add it back with the 640 designation. It takes about 30 seconds.

That’s a nice looking pen. I think I like the mauve ink you wrote with. I may have to see if Goulet has that in a sample next time I order something.