Everything bites!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boxerbuddy

Reaction score
Did you ever have a day where no matter what you smoke or what pipe you smoke it in it bites? I had one of those days today. Normally I smoke mostly full strenfth VA's and VaPers...the bitiest of the biters and I have no problem.

Today was different....I started out with a bowl of Cuban Mixture from Peretti and it bit...never did that before so I chalked it up to....idk I have no idea but I didn't make a big deal of it.

Next I decided to go with a tobacco that I never heard of having bite issues and has never bit me...Storm Front. Bit my tongue...wtf.

Then I decided to go with an english cause latakia smokes cool...went with Nightcap. Didn't bite as bad as the others but still bit..WTF.

I've been stepping up my pipe smoking to about 3 bowls a day lately.....I'm thinking maybe my tongue needs a break.

Please share with me any similar experiences you guys may have had...and what you did to remedy it.

Boxerbuddy":qofijxq2 said:
I've been stepping up my pipe smoking to about 3 bowls a day lately.....I'm thinking maybe my tongue needs a break.

Please share with me any similar experiences you guys may have had...and what you did to remedy it.
You just summed it up. 8)

I did some Stormfront for the first time today, and that was such a mellow blend your tongue obviously is telling you something.

I've been about 1 - 2 bowls a day lately because I'm BORED. Plus, I've improved my smoking "skill" enough to where I can handle the nuances of speed, packing, draw, tamping, etc...well, if you're enjoying yourself and doing it "right,' you're gonna want more--sometimes the tongue and sensory organs say otherwise. :lol: An important thing was not to smoke under duress. Time schedules and forcing it can lead to unwitting fast puffing and obvious results. Maybe today was just a bad day?

I would rather smoke less, but sometimes it's hard when it's good! Hehehehe

I find that I need to take a break of a few days every once in a while. It really improves the taste and enjoyment of tobacco when you eventually return to smoking. When I get a cold, I usually go for two or three weeks (!) without nicotine of any kind. I don't even want to smoke. This lends credence to my belief that I'm not addicted to nicotine, but that's beside the point. Apparently it's a taste and relaxation thing with me, though I do appreciate the vitamin N. I have actually deliberately delayed resumption after a cold, just to torture myself with anticipation. The first bowl will be apesh*t good! Apesh*t, I say! Did I say the first bowl is apesh*t? Well, it is!

I agree with Richard. If I go beyond 4 bowls in one day, I usually take the next day off or at the very least, I'll only have one. Then I'll resume with my usual 3 or 4 a day.

If you get tongue bite, or burn, you won't taste anything (tobacco) until it heals. What I do is switch to Carter Hall for the rest of the day. Unlike many of you guys, pipe smoking isn't a hobby for me so I want to keep smoking even if I do get bitten or burnt or get a case of plain ole tongue fatigue.

williamcharles":ftu63kq4 said:
If you get tongue bite, or burn, you won't taste anything (tobacco) until it heals. What I do is switch to Carter Hall for the rest of the day. Unlike many of you guys, pipe smoking isn't a hobby for me so I want to keep smoking even if I do get bitten or burnt or get a case of plain ole tongue fatigue.
You said something there that made a lot of sense to me. "pipe smoking isn't a hobby".
I see it that way myself, it maybe something I enjoy but, I don't see it as a hobby. More like having a cup of bean juice in the morning, I need it.
The collecting of the pipes is a hobby, specially for me.

I find that when I get bit it's because I inadvertently have not smoked slowly. In short, I've been puffing away too fast without knowing it. Once my mouth heals and I smoke again, and smoke slowly, I'm fine.

Taking a break from smoking for whatever interval pleases you can help put the technique back into your enjoyment; you get perspective on how to smoke. If you don't abstain and let your mouth heal, your mouth will tell you.

If you don't know how a tobacco smokes, and it indeed smokes hot, you're more prone to get bitten. Once you resume smoking, choose only those blends that you know, from experience, don't bite.

We wonder, I think, how we've gotten bitten; but more than probably our technique has lapsed. It's that simple.

I have those days. Usually it's a lady nic hangover. She's very empowering and I tend to go overboard with her. Then suddenly, POOF! The thrill is gone like the wind. I so much as look at her, she slaps me. But that's OK, she always come back. One of these days, I'll take her on with a grizzly.