Exceptional Willmer AAA straight grain on Ebay

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sstodvictory

Reaction score
Some of the tightest and clearest straight grain in all pipedom is found on the older Willmer AAA grade pipes (before Willmer "inflated" their grading system). This one takes the cake, and I wanted you all to see it. I own too many AAA Willmers to bid on this one, but its taking all my discipline not to.

I'd guess the shank was designed this way specifically to show off that fantastic grain. Take a look.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170592959997

Steve

I agree re the shank shape selection...but that's what pipemakers are supposed to do. This is a pretty specimen - glad I'm more a cross-grain than straightgrain guy, I've got to send Mark Tinsky a check for my latest tomorrow.

Buddy

I once collected Willmers. The early ones are probably the best bang-for-the-buck estates out there. Great smokers and frequently amazing wood. The backstory is they are actually Charatans for all intents and purposes. Several Charatan carvers just quit the firm to start their own company, using briar from the same source.

The reason I stopped had nothing to do with the pipes, just my taste. The vast majority are rather large and weight wasn't a consideration. I gradually became a clencher and found myself not reaching for them because they were just too big.

The posted pipe would easily be graded a Supreme had Charatan made it, and be worth 4X as much. Why Willmers never caught on with collectors remains a mystery. Their pipes---if anything---usually show greater attention to detail and better grading consistency than Charatans.

(The above does not apply to Willmer's later, acrylic-stemmed & often over-graded output, though. Those pipes are more in line with mid-grade Italian makes.)

LL":rr599tia said:
I once collected Willmers. The early ones are probably the best bang-for-the-buck estates out there. Great smokers and frequently amazing wood. The backstory is they are actually Charatans for all intents and purposes. Several Charatan carvers just quit the firm to start their own company, using briar from the same source.

The reason I stopped had nothing to do with the pipes, just my taste. The vast majority are rather large and weight wasn't a consideration. I gradually became a clencher and found myself not reaching for them because they were just too big.

The posted pipe would easily be graded a Supreme had Charatan made it, and be worth 4X as much. Why Willmers never caught on with collectors remains a mystery. Their pipes---if anything---usually show greater attention to detail and better grading consistency than Charatans.

(The above does not apply to Willmer's later, acrylic-stemmed & often over-graded output, though. Those pipes are more in line with mid-grade Italian makes.)
Interesting, and good to know, thanks.

I started collecting Willmers because my local B&M has always stocked a selection of them, and my first pipe was a straight grain AAA. I kept my eye out after that and have bought AA and AAA grades when the size, shape and wood appealed to me. I agree that some are clunky. I have two like that, but the rest are clenchers. My most recent Willmer purchases are both rusticated - something I haven't seen a lot of in this make.

Steve

sstodvictory":jf56qh1q said:
I started collecting Willmers because my local M&M has always stocked a selection of them, and my first pipe was a straight grain AAA. I kept my eye out after that and have bought AA and AAA grades when the size, shape and wood appealed to me. I agree that some are clunky. I have two like that, but the rest are clenchers. My most recent Willmer purchases are both rusticated - something I haven't seen a lot of in this make.

Steve
Cool. I had not heard of them until now, thanks for the info.

It was sold for $162.50!!! I am curious, did anyone of the brothers bid on this ones? Was the price high or fair? I would appreciate your opinions on this one.

The most I've paid for a Willmer AAA is $107, including several Ebay purchases. My best one has grain as good as that on the bowl, but not as good as that example on the shank. Very light or clear stains in good straight grain tend to cost more than darker stains, so maybe for that one the price was on the high side of fair?

Steve

innovador":5xehoesj said:
It was sold for $162.50!!! I am curious, did anyone of the brothers bid on this ones? Was the price high or fair? I would appreciate your opinions on this one.
If that seems expensive, keep in mind the seller is a popular Ebay pipe seller, so he has lots of lookers which can help drive up the prices of his items. I keep an eye on his stuff, but don't really expect to find a reasonably priced pipe from him due to that.

I have a question on a Willmer pipe that I own. I posted a thread on it in this forum but would like to ask it on this thread. I have a Willmer with plateaux top that is stamped Willmer in script over HAND MADE on one side and MADE IN ENGLAND on the other side, that's it. I have looked at many Willmers and have not seen the HAND MADE stamp before. Does any one know how to intrepret this?