Exorcism of a pipe with white vinegar

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canvasback

Reaction score
I have just purchased an old Comoy that is a real jewel. It cleaned up very nicely but has a shadow, actually more than a shadow, of the previous owners baccy. I have done 6 treatments with cotton balls and grain alcohol and it has helped some but the odor is still there. For those of you that have used the vinegar treatment how much vinegar do you use and how long do you let it stay in the pipe. Any help you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated.

with all that scrubbing, how well did you clean the stem? i couldn't get the stench of latakia out of one of my estates until i got the stem repeatedly with pipe cleaners and jameson, after i did, no lat taste.

until i started smoking lat in it again that is.

I use white vinegar to clean my pipes. I use the cotton ball method, let set for about an hour, drain and give the stem a thorough cleaning with four or five pipe cleaners soaked in white vinegar. In my experience it seems I get more mileage cleaning out the stem to get of bad tastes and smell. I then let the pipe dry out a couple of days before smoking. How thick is the cake inside the bowl? You "might" try lightly sanding out the cake. And again "lightly" cannot be over stressed.

I gotta' admit that I have never heard of using white vinegar to clean a pipe. Everclear, white rum, white port, white wine, yes; vinegar, don't think so!! :roll: FTRPLT