Expectations

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would definitely make the pipe maker take the pipe back and either give you your money back or make another attempt on a new pipe. I would not let him try to fix it. 250.00 is not a lot for an artisan made pipe but it is still a good amount of money and no one should be expected to except a faulty pipe.

" In my opinion, that's just paying for some name, reputation, collector's value or ego."

Dramatwist, until you have smoked a Rad Davis, or Brian Ruthenberg or Bruce Weaver or Scott Thile or many other artisans of that quality then you really have no business commenting on if those pipes are worth the money.

The smoking experience of those types of pipes is something that you have to experience before you comment on it. Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but your opinion is not valid until you have smoked those kinds of pipes. If you have never experienced a Rad Davis pipe then how can you say it is not worth the money? That is like saying spending 8 dollars a pound for a good rib eye steak is a waste of money when you can buy a piece of chuck steak for 3.00 a pound but you have never tasted the rib eye, think about it.

I have to agree with Harris in his post above here, but I also agree with Dramatwist's view.

My pipe collection ranges from low end to high end and I enjoy them all.

I simply don't retain any pipes that are not a joy to smoke.   Fortunately, that hasn't happened often and when it does, it's not hard to move the pipe.   I also have a friend who's unloaded various high end artisan pipes because he was disappointed in them -- in fact, he's in the process of getting rid of a pipe right now that's valued at more than $600 on the restored estates market and I doubt he will have any difficulty in selling it.

For me, (aside from the strictly collector standpoint which can skew this argument), quality artisan (and some higher end machine made) pipes compare to a Mercedes or BMW, while fine smoking lower end pipes compare to a Toyota Corolla.  Fine burners from both ends and in between will get you there -- and arguments are valid to those who argue for either end of the spectrum -- it's simply a differentiation of views on value; value can be quite personal.

Smoke what you like and like what you smoke. Support others who find the same enjoyment from their pipes regardless if they paid $40 or $300 for their pipe (2013 dollars lol).

roth, I have smoked plenty of pipes that in todays market would sell for up to 1500.00, back when I was smoking them in 2000 and 2001 they retailed for up 900.00. None of them smoked as good as my Rad's or my other American artisan pipes I own today so price is definitely not the determining factor if a pipe will be a great smoker.  I once owned two brand new Dunhill's that back in 2001 retailed for 660.00 each, I sold them both and vowed never to buy a new Dunhill again as they were decent smokers, but certainly not any where good enough for the price. I had an 95.00  Caminetto that out smoked them both. Now back then I was buying these pipes for half the wholesale price, so that 660.00 Dunhill cost me 165-175 or so as I was trading Cuban cigars for them. I would have never got to smoke those Dunhills as I would never have paid 660.00 for a pipe back then or even  now. I do understand a persons price threshold as I have one as well, but a pipe guy from another site talked me into going for quality over quantity and I bought my first Rad which changed my pipe buying and pipe smoking forever. That one pipe showed me how good a pipe with an incredible stem could out smoke all of the best pipes in my collection. I had at the time a Former( Hans Nielsen is a famous Danish carver) that retailed for 680.00 back in 2001 that while a great smoker, it still was not as good as that Rad. I ended up selling that pipe and all the others in my collection at the time to buy only American artisan pipes because of the way they smoked. I was like most of the guys here, I would look for a great looking pipe for 100.00 or under and was happy. That one Rad basically wrecked my entire collection and I was not happy smoking any of my other pipes( Ferndowns, Upshalls, Ardor, Caminettos, Mastro De Paja, Don Carlos, estate Dunhill, Lane Era Charatans, Ashton, Savinelli, GBD, Sasieni  higher end Winslows, so the collection had some pretty nice pieces at the time. After that first new Rad, I began buying estate Rad's for the 200-250 range, then I took a shot at some other American artisan estates like Scott Thile and fell in love with his work. I bought my estate Thile for 250.00 and would rather have that pipe than 10, 75 dollar pipes. The difference in smoking quality is that much different to my tastes. So now I own way less pipes but to my tastes much better pipes.

I forgot to add that I am a pipe smoker and not a collector as I never buy a pipe with the thought of how much it will be worth down the road as I could care less.

I smoked some PS LNF thru this pipe last night. I used 3 pipe cleaners. The gurgle would still persist unless pushed clear to the end.

Kelhammer":y2x6a6ot said:
I smoked some PS LNF thru this pipe last night. I used 3 pipe cleaners.  The gurgle would still persist unless pushed clear to the end.
Totally unacceptable! The pipemaker really needs to correct this.

Send it back!

nonono2.gif

Cheers,

RR

Kelhammer":fie5wton said:
I smoked some PS LNF thru this pipe last night. I used 3 pipe cleaners.  The gurgle would still persist unless pushed clear to the end.
Get rid of that pipe as soon as you can. You will never enjoy smoking it, with or without a gurgle. Ask the guy to make you a briar pipe instead.

cigrmaster":7i898onl said:
" In my opinion, that's just paying for some name, reputation, collector's value or ego."

The smoking experience of those types of pipes is something that you have to experience before you comment on it. Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but your opinion is not valid until you have smoked those kinds of pipes.
I agree 100% with you bro'. I only have one artisan's pipe but that was enough to open my eyes. If I can start my collection from scratch, I certainly will have 12 artisan pipes only instead of 48 factory made pipes. And name, reputation, collector's value or ego has got nothing to do with that. Smoking my Goussard renders so much pleasure and joy that I just have to have another 2 or 3 of them. I would not believe this was possible until I experienced it myself.

A gurgling pipe is a pipe that has not been made correctly and needs to be returned.

Speedy, do what I did, start selling off your factory pipes and then slowly add some artisans, it did not take me that long.

cigrmaster":errx7o81 said:
A gurgling pipe is a pipe that has not been made correctly and needs to be returned.

Speedy, do what I did, start selling off your factory pipes and then slowly add some artisans, it did not take me that long.
Yes, but how do i decide on which ones I should sell  :( 

I do have a 109 year old silver snuff box which will bring me enough money to buy at least one very fine pipe. I also have a springbuck horn snuff box with silver trimmings and walrus tooth insert which should also render a nice amount. These two items will be going on eBay shortly.

But, thank you for the advice, I will do what you suggested  :cheers: 

SpeedyPete":b5o0tftu said:
cigrmaster":b5o0tftu said:

I do have a 109 year old silver snuff box which will bring me enough money to buy at least one very fine pipe. I also have a springbuck horn snuff box with silver trimmings and walrus tooth insert which should also render a nice amount.  These two items will be going on eBay shortly.

Why not post these items on this forum? Offer to friends here first before turning over to ebay. I know that i am certainly interested.

Kelhammer":7v3xejev said:
For anyone wondering the pipe went back on Friday for evaluation.
Thank goodness!

Please let us know how this all turns out, Kel.

stewartinsaudi":yb1t03h2 said:
SpeedyPete":yb1t03h2 said:
cigrmaster":yb1t03h2 said:

I do have a 109 year old silver snuff box which will bring me enough money to buy at least one very fine pipe. I also have a springbuck horn snuff box with silver trimmings and walrus tooth insert which should also render a nice amount.  These two items will be going on eBay shortly.

Why not post these items on this forum?  Offer to friends here first before turning over to ebay.  I know that i am certainly interested.
Yes, please do!  "Offer to friends here first before turning over to ebay".

pepesdad1":gpan2i5r said:
stewartinsaudi":gpan2i5r said:
SpeedyPete":gpan2i5r said:
cigrmaster":gpan2i5r said:

Why not post these items on this forum?  Offer to friends here first before turning over to ebay.  I know that i am certainly interested.
Yes, please do!  "Offer to friends here first before turning over to ebay".
I will post pictures of the 2 snuff boxes and then wait for offers! :D  I've never sold anything on eBay in any case, don't know how to go about to do so  :oops: 

SpeedyPete":tgxpuphv said:
I will post pictures of the 2 snuff boxes and then wait for offers! :D   I've never sold anything on eBay in any case, don't know how to go about to do so  :oops: 
Good idea, IMO, Pete.

You'll save a boatload of fees and hassles opting to offer them here to Brothers versus using eBay.

From the activity of the snuff sub-forum here, there are a ton of Brothers who dip, so it's likely offering those boxes here will work out quite well.

Good luck  :)

Pipe was received today by the maker. New pipe is supposed to be ready by the end of the week! So far so good.

Kelhammer":98xqdn87 said:
Pipe was received today by the maker. New pipe is supposed to be ready by the end of the week!  So far so good.
Good to hear. You deserve a new pipe and one without issues. That first pipe should have never left the workshop.