Experiences with Clay Pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to like smoking VA in a clay.
One thing I didn't like was the round stem and it's end heavy. So if you're not careful it can spin in your fingers and dump hot ash.
Some talented person should make one with a conventional push in stem. :idea:

Like this?
clay.jpg

not sure who makes it, it just has an "8" on the bottom, it's an ok smoker, thick and a little too heavy

I bought a clay a few years ago. It wasn't a bad smoker but I found the bowl too small to enjoy and like everyone way too hot. They're also painfully delicate. It is a good experience, especially for history buffs, but I have no plans to pick up another after the one I had fell off a shelf and broke in two. I'd rather smoke my calabash which has all the style and delivers an excellent smoke.

I am happy we have advanced into briar and meerschaums .

I've never seen a clay like that, JohnnyO!
Some of the old porcelain pipes used a long, very thin stem that plugged into the shank. But clay is so fragile it probably wouldn't hold up. That may be why yours is beefed up.
It cuts down on the third degree burns anyway.

jeepernick":m6o1kp47 said:
Slow Puffs,

Thanks for posting that link on the clay pipe. It will come in handy as I purchased this today.

004.jpg

I am looking forward to the maiden voyage!
Hey Jeep - i just got my first every pipe today, and it is very similar to that there - a clay churchwarden just a bit shorter than yours i think.

Where is the vent place on your bowl - mine is in the side wall at the bottom - smokes ok but not brilliantly (could also describe me I suppose!)

Four year old zombie thread.

jeepernick hasn't visited BoB in 2 1/2 years.