Experimental #6

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Briar Spirit

Reaction score
Right so, what I really want to do is have a proper bash at a nice looking Blowfish, until I can get my head in the right place to figure out how to do that bloated shape in with the fins I'm gonna have to make do with making pipes like this one for a spell,

This pipe has two problems but being an experimental pipe I'm not going to fuss over them, both problems brought about due to drill press problems, can you believe it the drill chuck thingie actually fell out when I was doing the countersink and dented the mortise face, also the drilling went a little awry.

I'm going to be doing more of these in the future and I'm calling the shape The Ray, as in Manta-Ray fish, well, can't pull off a Blowfish so I thought I'd make up my own fish thing, why not eh.

(1st photo' shows damage to Mortise area, very frustrating)

IMG_2071.jpg

IMG_2070.jpg

IMG_2069.jpg

IMG_2081.jpg

IMG_2078.jpg

IMG_2079.jpg

IMG_2082.jpg

IMG_2080.jpg

IMG_2076.jpg

IMG_2072.jpg

IMG_2073.jpg

IMG_2074.jpg

IMG_2077.jpg

IMG_2075.jpg

Looks awesome. Do you got any side shots showing the grain. on the sides. Looks like a great pipe. Thanks fer sharing.

Good looking pipe Kirk. Love how you call these "experiments". Solid work as always my friend.

Kirk,
Once again, an EXCEPTIONAL piece of work !! I REALLY LIKE the uniqeness of the design!! It all WORKS PERFECTLY  :cheers: :cheers: 

I really like that shape. From the top its kinda like a twisted spade I see where manta ray comes from.

Very nice, Kirk. It seems you are in a quest to find your esthetic identity. May Aeolus provide you favorable winds in your journey.

I really appreciate the kind and supportive replies, thank you guys so very much.

millerman":86p0i8jk said:
Looks awesome. Do you got any side shots showing the grain. on the sides. Looks like a great pipe. Thanks fer sharing.
Thank you my friend, I took better photo's this morning, see the original post.  :sunny: 

Thanks fer the extra pics. That is one elegant piece of work. The extra pics really quenched my thirst to see the grain. That's a super nice "experiment". Thanks fer sharing.

Now that piece really shows your progression brother! Is that a hand cut or premold stem brother? Either way it looks great. Kind of a bummer about the press coming apart on you like that in the middle of work.

It still shows the unique shapes your so good at but has sharp lines that really take it to the next level. Killer :cheers: 

i.keenum":pg7exk6w said:
Now that piece really shows your progression brother! Is that a hand cut or premold stem brother? Either way it looks great. Kind of a bummer about the press coming apart on you like that in the middle of work.

It still shows the unique shapes your so good at but has sharp lines that really take it to the next level. Killer :cheers: 

The stem is pre-formed, re-shaped by myself of course to better suit the pipe itself, it would take vastly superior small files than those I have to hand cut a stem from rod stock, something I intend doing eventually but not until I have better small files.

Cool , like the side ways bend in the stem. Not something you see regularly but it works. What do you use to buff your pipes?

I use pure Carnauba which I buy in flake form and melt down into blocks, I have two old and cheap grinders which I attach grinder buffing wheels to. I really need to look into getting better buffing machines, well proper buffing machines actually as both of mine are giving me trouble these days, they get hot fast and the blue one smells of burning electrics which is a little worrying.

Man I admire talented pipemakers...Must be very satisfying to produce a quality pipe.... Keep drilling and carving.  :cheers: 

Great work there Kirk. I am enjoying my BSP pipes but this looks like another great trial to add to your set of experimental pipes.

Absolutely love this one Kirk! That's saying something as I don't normally care for non-classical shapes. Although I do like freehands. Great grain and the great curves you got going there are amazing! Sucks that the chuck fell out while you were working though. Be careful as I've known too many guys that have had serious injures from wonky drill presses!

Jim

Very unique looking pipe Kirk. I like it, you knocked that one out of the park Buddy.