Exploring the "Junk" Box

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slow Puffs

Reaction score
The Junk Box

I was doing some “Spring” cleaning, and rediscovered some items that I had tossed in a wooden box that isn’t easily accessible.

Tobacco finds:
Rum & Maple; Captain Black Royal; Mixture No 79; SWR Aromatic;; 3 4Noggins blend
None of these thrilled me especially as they are fairly dried out but they are all candidates for my “hodgepodge” jar, smoked in a cob while working outside.

Various pipes:

The Pipe – Bulldog Ebony: I went to the site of The Pipe expert and examined this pipe quite carefully. I was surprised that the condition of this pipe is unsmoked or lightly smoked at minimum. I’m quite pleased with this as a “conversation piece”, if nothing else. Yes, someday I’ll fire it up.

Pipes with Stingers:

Savinelli Extra 207 –lightly smoked. I’m sure I can clean this up enough to at least put on the shelf

S&T Hand Made 581 – unsmoked. A google search seems to lead me to believe that this was made in China, but I’m not 100% sure. The description on any sites in China simple say “made of wood”. It’s a nice looking bent apple with an acrylic stem.

“ENA” BREZO – lightly smoke, acrylic stem, two noticeable large pits

Others:
Brigham 2 Dot rusticated panel – lightly smoked and a candidate for clean and shelf display.
A few medico and basket pipes of varying conditions... and of course, some old used cobs.

It has been interesting exploring the “junk box”. Now go find your “junk box” and share with us what you have rediscovered...

Puffs, it was exactly my own junk box that got me back to the pipe about 7 years ago. I was cleaning out my closet and came across one (of many) junk boxes that had my then complete pipe collection of about 8 Brighams and 2 Kaywoodies. I got them out, cleaned them up and picked up a tin of McClelland to give them a try. I was just tapering off of cigars at the time and since then, pipes have been a regular part of my life again.

Still looking for another box somewhere that has the remnants of my Dad's pipe collection, my favorite old Ol' Boy lighter and a bunch of other stuff from about 1990 in it.

What he said.

For me it was about five years ago, while going through some stuff to put in to storage. Hadn't tried to smoke for years...just no time, and there they were: my dad's old Kaywoodies, some Peterson's, a handful of Ben Wades, Baris and an old Harcourt; and one lone Karl Erik that I'd never smoked. I think that was the one that did it. Looking at that pipe and wondering why it had never been fired up, and thinking that it was about time to do just that.

Hey SP.......
Is that RUM & MAPLE the famous RSA otc blend?????
If so I'm not surprised that it ended up in the junk box! that baccy is just nasty stuff!!!!

Cool find on the pipes though!
As for me I do not have such a box...... wish I did.................. need to add to the old collection. I'm the guy that usually scratches in other peoples boxes............ oops rim shot!! :lol:

Piet Binsbergen":6jeew7cb said:
Hey SP.......
If so I'm not surprised that it ended up in the junk box! that baccy is just nasty stuff!!!!
Yep... just had a cob of it this morning.... letting it sit for two or three years does wonders to it... bone dry.

By the way, I also found some Field & Stream... but the Walnut is missing, I think I passed that on to Smokey Tweed a couple years ago.

Slow Puffs":ilwc230d said:
Piet Binsbergen":ilwc230d said:
Hey SP.......
Yep... just had a cob of it this morning.... letting it sit for two or three years does wonders to it... bone dry.

By the way, I also found some Field & Stream... but the Walnut is missing, I think I passed that on to Smokey Tweed a couple years ago.
Interesting SP....... do they sell that stuff in the states????
I feel about Rum and Maple what you guys feel about WALNUT........ that Rum and Maple is so heavily top dressed you may as well chew candy...... I do think it has a fantastic room note though. Brings back fond memories of my grandpa and his panel Dr. Plumb!
Either way, enjoy it! If you want any more of the stuff don't hesitate to ask... I'll send you some! Nothing like good old Zgrade Zimbabwean VA! :lol:

Junk Boxes...I don't know what kind of junk box you have but when I was a young boy it was quite common for guys to have an old King Edward Cigar box to keep their "treasures" or "valuables". Don't ask why a King Edward Box but that just seems to be the norm for southern US guys. In fact a singer/songwriter that plays in the southeast US wrote a song entitled "King Edward Box" You can hear a preview here-- King Edward Box

I still have my original though it's becoming torn and tattered and needs a replacement or some duct tape to keep it useful. If I get the energy I'll do an inventory and post the contents. A few items from memory include an 1848 US penny, a civil war minnie ball found at Ft. Negley in Nashville, TN, a wisdom tooth with a hooked root, pennies from my birth year, high school and college graduations, a US steel penny, a giraffe swizzle stick from Noah's Ark in St. Louis, MO, some bark from a tree that was hit by lightning 35' away, several arrow heads and a Morgan Silver dollar.

Due to my growing collections I've had to graduate to using shoe boxes. I did find 3 pouches of Capt. Black (Royal, Supreme and Light) last week while trying to find a missing gun sight. :lol:

Anyway, do Canadians have a preference or use a special kind of treasure box?

Jim

Jim,

I was thinking more of tobbaco & pipes related "junk". I have several boxes where I keep various items... filters, lighters, cleaning supplies, pipe cleaners, etc. This box was where I tossed various items... chewed stems, pipes I originally didn't think much of, yuckie tobaccy, old used cobs, etc...

that reminds me in my "junk" box I have a homemade twist of burley that my great grandmother twisted in the late forties that my mother had saved for some reason.
Maybe I should sample it.

I found my grandpop's old Dr. Grabow in my mom & dad's junk "drawer" in the kitchen back in the 90's. My own junk "box" is full of all kinds of stuff, mainly civil war reenacting gear I need to pull back out. But no pipe stuff just yet.