Fairly New Here But Not New to Pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rothnh

Reaction score
Hello all. I joined BoB a week or two ago, but am just getting around to posting on the Welcome Wagon here.

A bit about me. I am a retired Army officer who, after getting an offer I couldn't refuse, went to work as a civilian consultant (for lack of a better term) for the Army. I retired (for good) in 2006. I live on on the coast (literally) in mid-coast Maine. I first started smoking pipes 40+ years ago. I'd been smoking cigars much more often until more recently when I was gifted a really nice pipe and decided to unpack my "cellar" ... since then, I smoke my pipes 2-3 times a day and a cigar about one a week.

Well I guess that's enough for now. Happy to be here!

Welcome to the forum! I bet that cellar has some good stuff after the hiatus!

Thanks guys. BTW, the "cellar" fit in one rather small moving box. Sure, there's some old stuff in there and much of it is quite good (at least I think so, I haven't tried very much of it). I should get more 8 ounce mason jars and reorganize much of it, actually. But the unopened tins I'll leave as-is until I get around to opening one.

Welcome to BoB, even if you were an officer, it is a pleasure to have another Army man round here. I look forward to hearing about some of those aged tins once you pop them open.

Welcome to the forums! I hope you enjoy your time reading & posting here

"T"

Top of the morning to you, Sir!

You will have to forgive us. There are many prior enlisted in this communtiy. Cynicism abounds!!!

Welcome!

Welcome from Maryland. The coast of Maine sounds like a great place to retire. I'm an Army brat, my pop is a retired SGM (93 years young!). I'm looking forward to hearing your insights with 40 years of experience.

Sean68":tuh0ny59 said:
Top of the morning to you, Sir!

You will have to forgive us. There are many prior enlisted in this communtiy. Cynicism abounds!!!

Welcome!
Well I actually started out as a PVT/E-1, made SGT/E-5 and after 5.5 years enlisted Army, was offered a commission in the Navy -- public affairs actually. I spent 3.5 years with the Navy (through the U.S. Bicentennial, Tall Ships, etc.), then transferred back to the Army as a 1LT. I stuck with it -- through various periods of active duty, National Guard, Army Reserve and retired as a Lt. Col., alternating assignments in personnel (AG) and a few public affairs billets sprinkled in as well.

The stints in the Guard and the Reserve allowed me to spend some time in broadcasting, film and advertising when those opportunities came up.

Welcome. This board will help get your pipe smoking going again for sure.

Welcome to BOB ! Since you had some Navy time you can't be all bad! :lol: