Falcon pipe issue

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timbo

Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Hi all, one of my falcons has the metal nub in the humididome about half a mil too high. As a result of this, most of my bowls have an extremely restricted draw on this pipe and I need to unscrew the bowl about a quarter turn to get any smoke out of it.

Any suggestions on how to fix it without access to a machine shop? I've a drill and some bits, sandpaper and files and the usual toolbox suspects. I thought maybe drilling out my bowls slightly larger, but don't want them to be unusable on my other falcons.

Thanks people,

Tim

The one I have does the same thing. I just don't/can't smoke it with the ring, but it tends to gurgle. I thought grinding off the bottom of the bowl with sandpaper would fix it, but I'm too lazy to try. Am I wrong? I also thought of enlarging the hole, but that seems like it would just allow tobacco bits to slip through and not solve the draw problem. Pain in the ass.

Glad to hear I'm not the only sufferer Richard.

I'm thinking a dremmel tool or similar with a small grinding head on might do the trick.

Will have to go to the shops to get one first though.

Cheers

Tim

I had one like this, it was an older bowl, so the taper was longer and on a Shillelagh stem it almost touches the bump in the bottom. I sanded a bit off of the bottom of the bowl and the draft increased nicely. It does not change the bore of the bowl draft, so it didn't affect the interior design.. I just put a piece of 500 grit paper on the table and rubbed the bottom of the bowl on it a bit at a time. Works the charm!

That is so cool, Oz! I'm gonna do it. Can't believe how lazy I am. Thanks. (Wait a minute...I didn't start this thread.  :scratch: )

Thanks Wiz, good idea. Follow the KISS principle, I always overthink things. Will give it a crack when I get home.

Cheers

Tim

I used my Dremel tool with a small flat top grinding wheel on an old Viking I own that had the same issue your having.  Resolved the issue in under 3 minutes and did not have to sand any bowls.  Smokes great with a good draw an no gurgling, unless I smoke an extremely moist tobacco. 
Good luck, it's an easy fix. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

I wonder is an o-ring from the hardware store between the bowl and the stem might make it sit just a hair higher? It is a cheap experiment and easily reversible.

Fr_Tom":pou9eh3f said:
I wonder is an o-ring from the hardware store between the bowl and the stem might make it sit just a hair higher? It is a cheap experiment and easily reversible.
I found this to work great once I had the right o-ring. Took a few experiments to get it just right.

Cheers,

RR

Fr_Tom's idea does work on many Viking and Falcon pipes. The size that's mostly used is 11/64". The same I use when I make a bowl for my Viking pipes. Very common find in Home Depot plumbing dept. 
have fun!!!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Thanks for the o ring suggestion Father. On inspection, the bowls that don't fit are older and don't have o rings on them. Will pop into a plumbing supplier and get a few and report back.

Cheers

Tim

Funny as I am reading through this thread I am realizing I have the same issue with one of mine. I guess Dremel power it is. :D

Ozark Wizard":5h2uzyt5 said:
I had one like this, it was an older bowl, so the taper was longer and on a Shillelagh stem it almost touches the bump in the bottom. I sanded a bit off of the bottom of the bowl and the draft increased nicely. It does not change the bore of the bowl draft, so it didn't affect the interior design.. I just put a piece of 500 grit paper on the table and rubbed the bottom of the bowl on it a bit at a time. Works the charm!  
Tried this, and it's such an easy fix that I just spent the rest of the morning wondering why I didn't try it until prodded. Sloth, procrastination, cowardice? I have all that and more! :cheers:

It is a very easy fix, just had to do it with two out of four bowls I swapped for. It's pretty apparent what is required when you notice a few along side each other...

Not a great cell picture, but you can see the differences of the tapers on the bottom of the bowls. Other than the thread pattern, there seems to be a lot of leeway in tolerances.. It's an easy fix though, and only improves the 'smokability'.