Falling back into cigarettes, the horror!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenleaf

Reaction score
Confession: I've also been smoking cigarettes for the past week. Revolting, yet nice, but this can't go on. I quit these damn things because they interfere with life as a pipe smoker, the life I love. Right now I'm sucking a cheapie and burning the last of my money in the process.

Just wondering how often any of you converts find yourselves in this position. I certainly don't need the sticks right now, just being lazy. The pipe is all I need and I know it, it's what I know I want to smoke. Yet here I sit with these Golden Bay floor sweepings. If anybody's got some words of wisdom, inspiration or "you dumbass," I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

I'm in the same boat buddy. I find myself going through about a pack a week these days because I've slowed down so much, but I'm still smoking them. I don't really have any advice, just empathy.

Eliminate moments of boredom and you eliminate many of the impulses.

:face:

Always use to fall back to cigs just because they are easy and convenient, but when I finally decided to really quit which was 1999, I was done and have not picked up one yet and will not! They are nasty and evil tobacco life sucking little devils. I hardly even inhale my pipe, but cigs is the only way to smoke them or it seems rather useless to just puff that foul tasting and smelling things things. Then there are all the chemicals they put in that stuff, it's just nasty.

If you don't control them they will control you. Just my opinion though.

Skip

I walked away from Marlboro Reds over 20 years ago. Cannot stand to be in a room full of cigarette smoke. All that burning paper irritates my eyes and throat.

You already know all of the reasons not to use cigarettes and have already made the commitment to the pipe. Man up and do the right thing. Do it for the children :lol!:

Carlos":81lixfl0 said:
I walked away from Marlboro Reds over 20 years ago. Cannot stand to be in a room full of cigarette smoke. All that burning paper irritates my eyes and throat.
I smoked the same ones and for 37 years so it was not easy, but yeah I can't take cig smoke either as it stinks. Pipes and Cigars are just so different, but depending on what one smokes pipes can be a very nice smell. Of course that means when I am not smoking my favorite, but still even smoking my favorite it doesn't ever smell like cigs.

I am one happy guy I finally not only quit, but have kept it like that.

Skip

Granted I was never a heavy cigarette smoker, hell, I hardly even considered myself a smoker as it took me over a week to finish off a pack. But every now and then I do find myself wanting one, craving even, I find it's mostly due to other smoking them on campus and being bored walking about. Like Yak said, just keep yourself busy with something and you'll have no problem. I've been doing my best to stay active and haven't had a cig in a few months now, although it does get considerably harder to resist once I've been drinking though.

Nasal snuff may deliver the relief you seek. Cheaper, more portable, less health harm, and faster nic delivery than a pack of cigs, plus you can use it anywhere. (The major drawback is a dirty handkerchief--not too bad a price to pay to banish the cigarette beast.)

I quit cigarettes in 1983...Cold turkey. I was a two to three pack a day smoker of Marlboro Reds and Menthol. I drove a truck and boredom caused me to smoke so much. Find a diversion and avoid caffeine.

Cigarette smoke is stinky to me now.

A useful trick:

Pre-fill a day's worth of pipes when you wake up, so when the urge hits during the day grabbing a pipe is as convenient as reaching for a cigarette.

Don't worry, the tobacco won't dry out too much (I find a few hours even improves the smoke slightly).

if you need the nic you could get an e-cigarette, my boss bought one then a co-worker did and they both haven't had a cigarette since they day they got them about 5 months ago. If you don't need the nic and just the activity you can still get an e-cigarette as they do have nicotine free cartridges.

It took me fifteen years to quit cigs, and I don't have any desire to go back. That stench! Don't know how I could have ignored it for so long. I only smoke a pipe a couple times a week, and I'm good. Leaves me wanting more...makes it all the more sweeter when I do light up! Looking at pipes on the net takes up a good chunk of my remaining free time.

shootist51":r0v8ap1t said:
You already know all of the reasons not to use cigarettes and have already made the commitment to the pipe. Man up and do the right thing. Do it for the children :lol!:
Good one.

Pre-loading is a really good idea, it's great to have a pipe ready. I find the cig impulse coming on when I've not been smoking enough pipe ... and I've got a c-store right across the street, and I work at a grocery store. For real nicotine, I use dip at work, just 'cause the bastards won't let us smoke anymore and nicotine helps me work, but really because dip delivers such a jolt. Filthy stuff, but I take my medicine. Throughout the day, I'll get enough nicotine from pipes because I smoke like a chimney. Just damn love to smoke, plus the ritual of pipe smoking and all becomes it's own vice.

Still there's nothing like a Marlboro ... until you're back on two and a half packs a day. For now, the deterrant is I have no money. Better to spend it on worthwhile things before I can blow it all on the sticks. Spending sprees can be a very sound financial move. Thanks, y'all.

I love tobacco in most forms. Pipe, cigars, snuff. I just picked up some rolling tobacco and am giving that a try. It's nice for when everyone is out of work smoking before leaving for the night, or when I'm on campus and everyone goes out for a smoke. I got some Peter Stokkebye stuff, so it's nearly like a pipe in some paper... that is inhaled.

bad stuff in them cigs:

Formaldehyde: embalming fluid
Acetone: Cleaning fluid
Benzene: Industrial toxic cleaner
Hydrogen Cyanide: Killed a few million Jews in the gas chambers.
Ammonia: Bad stuff to inhale in your lungs for sure.

total of 499 known chemicals...why do they put that many chemicals in there? Population control, kills off lots of people every year. :shock:

If you would see the lung demo that they have in the Lung Association Mobile Display Trailer where they show the cut-aways of actual lungs, you'd likely quit that moment.

I'll tell ya, I've been between 1/2 a pack to 1 and 1/2 pack per day smoker for the last 16 years or so. Tried all kinds of stuff to quit.

I recently decided to quit. Haven't had a whole cigarette since early in October.

The thing that made the difference for me was one of these:

http://freedomsmokeusa.com/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=351

It's one of them fancy new "electronic cigarettes". It's not the kind you see at a mall in a kiosk though. Those are crappy models that are priced 2-3 times more than you can find them for online. There are tons of vendors that sell the kits, parts and juices online so it's worth shopping around.

There are lots of different models and lots of different "nicotine juices" to choose from. Most of the juices that come with the kits are made in china, so who knows what the heck is in them, but there are several small vendors that mix and distribute their own juices in the USA with entirely US food quality ingredients.

In my opinion, any smoker who wants to quit owes it to themselves to give these things a try. Here is a site for some research if you are interested: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/

I used to 'borrow' a cigarette from my wife on the mornings when i had no time enough to smoke my pipe. Doesn't happen too often any more; but still say about less than once a week or so. After being without smoking cigarettes regularly for more than a year, they taste like smoking paper.

I took pre-loading a pipe one step further: Besides loading one at night, I'd fill a 2nd bowl while I was smoking the first. Also, since the nicotine doesn't absorb at quickly, I'd make sure to smoke a whole bowl before work, which would keep me until I got home, where the next bowl was ready. It's that urge for a fast rush that does you in, I think.