Father's Day Poll: PaPa pipe smoker..

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSmokeamater

Reaction score
My father smoked pipes, cigars and sometimes cigarettes.

One of my earliest memories of him is with a pipe clenched in his teeth.

My father smoked a pipe off/on when I was little but he mostly smoked cigars, Travis Club Senators he got from Finke down in San Antonio. He gave me his pipes when i started smoking and I still smoke 'em :p

My late Pap smoked a pipe as far back as I can remember. He was a one brand man - Uhles #255. Never any other. I remember being able to buy him some of this for a Christmas present at the drug store every year when I was a kid too.

My Uncle Kermit also smoked a pipe. Forgot to enter that into the poll though!

Cheers,

RR

Grandad chewed Granger pipe tobacco, never saw him light up. Dad said he smoked a pipe back in the day but I never witnessed it.

Grandad also chewed on cork looking plugs, one of which was shaped like a hockey puck. He acted like he was sleeping in his recliner one day when he saw me at about 8 years old sneaking up on his hockey puck plug. I took a big ole chaw expecting bubble gum and got one heck of a surprise... I left tobacco alone until last year when I started collecting estate pipes and now enjoy a few bowls a week.

I have enjoyed the occasional cigar over the past 15 years as well.

Grandpa, uncle, dad all smoked pipes at one time or another. They were also all cigarette smokers (as was every adult in my family). They have all quit.

Though I don't usually post real pics of myself, here's one of my Dad and I smoking a bowl together this afternoon at his house. He's been smoking a pipe for nearly 40-years - almost as long as Monbla. :p

dad_an10.jpg

Rob_In_MO":3s670fwt said:
Though I don't usually post real pics of myself, here's one of my Dad and I smoking a bowl together this afternoon at his house. He's been smoking a pipe for nearly 40-years - almost as long as Monbla. :p

dad_an10.jpg
What a great pic! Thanks for posting it Rob. You two look great!

I sure wish my Pap was still here as I'd love to share a bowl with him.....

Cheers,

RR

Dad didn't become a cigarette smoker until he was drafted in late 1944. He smoked cigarettes for 24 years, quitting in 1968-69. He smoked pipes during the transition, but finally went with small tipped 5-a-pack cigars (white owls, Dutch Masters, etc) when mowing the lawn and puttering around outside (amazing how much he found he needed to do in the garage!). Even though my oldest brother still smokes a pipe, I took Dad's three pipes with me to college. I still use one on occasion (a WDC Bulldog -- gotta get the band fixed, it's started to split) and hopefully the other two are packed away somewhere with about 12+ other pipes.

No one I know smokes a pipe. My dad used to have to go to a local pipe store when I was a kid to get american spirits because he couldn't get them else where. that's where I bought my first pipe.

My Great Grandad, along with several of his generation were from Denmark...They were all pipe smokers. I have two of his pipes from the 1850's as most were lost somewhere between Denmark and Canada, then on to settle in Iowa in 1865. My Grandad and father were not pipe smokers. Of course, I made-up for lost time by starting my pipe smoking at age 9 and for the last 51 years, I have never regretted one moment!

I believe that my two youngest sons, 15 & 17, will be pipe smokers as well.

I tend to smoke strong plug/flake type tobaccos and perhaps on a father's day in the future, we will share a bowl and relax in a time-honored tradition...

...a pipe is to be savored...

Rob_In_MO":b0t8hw3n said:
Cheers, Rob!
I never knew until recently that my dad had smoked a pipe, briefly, about 60 years ago!

Leyte":jzse49u6 said:
Grandad chewed Granger pipe tobacco, never saw him light up. Dad said he smoked a pipe back in the day but I never witnessed it.

Grandad also chewed on cork looking plugs, one of which was shaped like a hockey puck. He acted like he was sleeping in his recliner one day when he saw me at about 8 years old sneaking up on his hockey puck plug. I took a big ole chaw expecting bubble gum and got one heck of a surprise... I left tobacco alone until last year when I started collecting estate pipes and now enjoy a few bowls a week.

I have enjoyed the occasional cigar over the past 15 years as well.
He CHEWED Granger?! Good god! LOL

Now that you've said that, I MUST try it.

I started chewing early from when I was 16 and kept it up until I was 20. I got into it when one of my uncles brought me a Zip Lock bag from the PX he would sometimes go to. He was a WWII vet and had access to shop there.

The bag was unmarked but the chew was very much like Red Man. It was love at first taste. I was like..., "WOW! Tobacco candy!!! This is for me!"

I made a conscious decision to stop, realizing that the habit was not a good thing to sustain for too long. I still miss it.

Rob,
In all sincerity, it is heart warming to see you and your dad together in that picture.

Given your mentioning that posting your image is not something you are inclined to do, I feel I owe a "thank you" for having done it.

I hope others feel the same.

Thanks.

TheSmokeamater":rh6w7qbz said:
Rob,
In all sincerity, it is heart warming to see you and your dad together in that picture.

Given your mentioning that posting your image is not something you are inclined to do, I feel I owe a "thank you" for having done it.

I hope others feel the same.

Thanks.
Indeed.

Both my folks are vehemently anti-tobacco. I'm told my father's father smoked drug store cigars but he passed before I was born. My dad did let his guard down once and admit that he had always been intrigued by the idea of smoking pipe.

There were two men who influenced me to pick up the pipe. As a child, we lived next door to an old Filipino man who served in WWII. He always sat in his den puffing away. I have actually been trying to figure out what tobacco he smoked ever since I picked up my first pipe.

Then when I was in college I worked EMS in the City of Albany and one of our shift supervisors smoked a pipe. Well two actually. One smooth bent billiard and one rusticated straight billiard. He smoked burley at work and an aromatic (pretty sure it was 1Q) at home. He was the person who really encouraged me (and my college roommate) to pick up the pipe. I have to admit, my roommate was more motivated than I was. That phase ended before we graduated but I decided to give it another shot a few years ago.

Specifically, I took a cruise with my wife and another couple. I would would sit out on deck and smoke a cigar before dinner each night. All the other guys smoking their cigars were such douche bags I felt guilty by simple association. But there was this one guy who met me every evening and sat there quietly smoking a pipe and reading a book. That's when I decided to give it another try. When I got home I started reading about the differences in tobaccos and proper packing, lighting, etc. So I guess you can say there were really three men who influenced me to pick up the pipe.

Kyle":4i9wpdp9 said:
What, no consideration for Gradma if she smoked a pipe? :lol:
My great-grandma smoked Mail Pouch in a clay (old school Appalachian Mountain woman). She was a little, tiny woman, but made of steel.

Once the preacher came to the door unexpectedly and she hurriedly hid her pipe in her apron pocket (there wasn't time for any other manoevre). But it gave her away by the smoke wafting up from it :lol:

:face:

My Dad smoked a pipe for about a year when he was in college and before I was around. Somehow it must've gotten into the genes. :p

That photo is really great! Love it!
My dad and mom never smoked, but on dad's side of the family all the uncles did, as well as grandad. Granddad smoked cigarettes, cigars, pipe. Basically whatever fancied him at that very moment. He had a little cornershop, which I supposed helped a little!

According to my dad, his pa used to occasionally smoke a pipe (he remembers the smell, but doesn't ever recall seeing one in his hand). My dad used to smoke cigars in Bible college, then stopped after he left.

He still loves the smell of pipe smoke, however.