Favorite Author/s

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

A couple to get things started:
I have enjoyed reading John Steinbeck since I was a teen.
I fell in love with the Jack Reacher Series by Lee Child just last year while I was laid up after foot surgery. Read the whole series(1-11) in a couple of months, there are a couple more out now.
:study: :pipe:

John Steinbeck is an all time favorite, as is Albert Camus.

A couple of fly fishing writers who manage to to use fly fishing as a vehicle to orate on life (easy for them because they live fly fishing) are among my favorites, their styles just draw me in - John Geirach and Thomas McGuane.

I also enjoy Garrison Kiellor very much.

I am an avid fly fisher as well and get a real kick out of John Geirach. Steinbeck is another of my favorites. Lately I have been reading Conrad again. I enjoy him a lot more now than 25 years ago when I first read him. Perhaps its because I am more patient now.

I've been on a Cormac McCarthy kick lately; just bought Outer Dark yesterday. Recently I began reading (for the first time :oops: ) William Faulkner's short stories. I enjoy William G. Tapply; he writes a couple of neat mystery series (Brady Coyne, a fly fishing lawyer, for one) as well as hunting and fishing stuff.

I fell in love with the Jack Reacher Series by Lee Child just last year while I was laid up after foot surgery. Read the whole series(1-11) in a couple of months, there are a couple more out now.
Top quality. If you haven't read them, I'd highly recommend anything by David Morrell. Sort of similar types of characters and story. Really great reads, in my opinion.

I'm impressed. I was starting to think that as a pipe smoker, I was expected to read only hardback books that no one else had ever heard of.

I have read Steinbeck and enjoy his work.

I lean more towards the macabre.

Stephen King
Anne Rice
Robert McCammon

Walker Percy
followed closely by Edgar Allen Poe, who is followed closely by James Joyce.

The two authors I keep going back to are William Gibson and Philip K. Dick. I guess they'd be considered science fiction, but of a different grain than is typically expected. On the macabre side of things, Stephen King and especially H.P. Lovecraft rarely disappoint. As far as weird fiction, I love Dino Buzzati. Hard to find him in English, but he's right up there with Kafka.

Some of the best military histories I've read:
The First World War by John Keegan
Battle Cry of Freedom by James McPherson
Iron Coffins by Herbert Werner

For the most part, I prefer to read non-fiction to ever expand my "understanding" of modern physics (yeah right!). I doubt you guys want to hear about the book I just finished in regards to the LHC.

As far as fiction is concerned, however, here is a list of the first few that came to mind:

1. Thomas Pynchon
2. Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
3. Strugatsky, Arkady & Boris (brothers)
4. Jack Kerouac

The first two because they really appeal to my sense of humor and outlook on life..

Pynchon because he can write an obscenely hilarious 'epic story' with what seems to be little effort on his part.
Kurt Vonnegut's stories are always fun and easy to read.
The Strugatsky bros. are Russian USSR-era sci-fi authors that wrote some really amazing science-fiction stories (Roadside Picnic, Hard to be a God).
Jack Kerouac because he inspires me to just drop everything I'm doing and get on the road (most specifically his book 'On The Road')!

Reacher Series by Lee Child
Prey Series by John Sandford
Cross Series by James Patterson
Barrington Series by Stuart Woods

sav_au10.jpg

:lol:

Tock the Always":9jq93uro said:
Ha, nice. Not to highjack the thread too much, but... what kind of pipe is that?
Obviously, it's an author. :lol:

(Savinelli - Baronet Bruyere 320EX)

Hemingway has to be my all time favorite author. Followed by Edgar Allen Poe and Stephan(sp) King and the chick that wrote the Harry Potter series. My wife has been trying to get me to read John Steinbeck. She keeps telling me how great his work is.

eggman,

You'd probably enjoy Steinbeck's "Travels with Charley". I read it a long time ago and really enjoyed it. With my short attention span I usually stick with short stories but this is sort of a collection of short stories of his travels around the USA and not your everyday writings.

Jim

Thanks Ol' Dawg I will check it out. I did pick up Cannary Row from the Library yesterday. I hope to get started on it in the next day or so.