Favorite Lakeland Aromatic Tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walkman

Reaction score
What's your favorite Lakeland aromatic tobacco?  I've smoked three thus far, namely:
1. Gawith Hoggarth Kendal Dark Vanilla,
2. Gawith Hoggarth Rum Flake, and
3. Samuel Gawith Kendal Cream Deluxe Flake.

I didn't care for Dark Vanilla, as the floral essence is too strong for me.  However. the other two were very good.  So my favorites are the following in the order shown:

1. Gawith Hoggarth Rum Flake, and
2. Samuel Gawith Kendal Cream Deluxe Flake.

What is/are your favorites?

Well, Rum Flake is super, but Bob's Chocolate Flake is a regular.

Of course, I dip into Ennerdale Flake often too. Grasmere, dark flake scented, etc...

I rather enjoy G&H Cherry Cream Flake. I have a couple of others around but haven't gotten around to trying them yet. Keep in mind that the geometry of the bowl does make a difference with Lakeland tobaccos. I really enjoy the CCF in a wide shallow bowl it just isn't the same in a tall narrow bowl.

Jim

I have always enjoyed SG Fire Dance, G&H Grasmere, Kendal & Rum Flake and on occassion Top Black Cherry.

I am sure G&H wouldn't classify these as aromatics but Glengarry, Broken No. 7 & Best Brown 2 are great smokes as well.

From the darker/stronger fare I absolutely love Dark Birdseye, Dark Flake scented and Brown Irish X.

So much to choose from, so little time. ;)

Tastes certainly differ. I found Firedance literally unsmokable, disgusting in flavor.

For what it's worth, I have only enjoyed Firedance when I have dried the tobacco practically to a crisp. At that point the flavoring becomes a light accent akin to raspberry scented black tea.

Funny thing is that this product is flavored Best Brown Flake which is most enjoyable with moderate dry time.

Richard Burley":4vnfegwf said:
Tastes certainly differ. I found Firedance literally unsmokable, disgusting in flavor.
It's delightful as a snuff, though.

I'm a regular Ennerdale smoker...for my money, the best Lakeland out there.

idbowman":9zh6hpvp said:
That's one I just can't stomach. Smells like Play Doh, tastes like Hubba Bubba dipped in Charlie. :p

DrumsAndBeer":8s8tsxbl said:
idbowman":8s8tsxbl said:
That's one I just can't stomach. Smells like Play Doh, tastes like Hubba Bubba dipped in Charlie. :p
:lol!:

Coniston Cut Plug, smoked straight or by adding a pinch to something else

Firedance is great, as a smoke or a snort. I must say though that I prefer it still moist.

BCF I find quite pleasant once I get past that initial "Lakeland" aroma at first match! As for the rest, not so much :evil: :cheers: FTRPLT

Depending on my mood: Grasmere Flake; Ennerdale; & #7 Broken Flake, but I enjoy a number of others as well

Anything with the Double Bubble Bazooka Joe gum flavor is O-U-T. That means Ennerdale and anything in the same family. GAK! NAY!

So...Canon and Cob...most things with the word DARK or KENDAL are selectively, judiciously OK too. A little of this, a little of that...a taste here and there...most are acceptable, even welcome. But on the YEA side there’s Broken Flake #7, Glengarry and Dark Scented as the floral profile of choice.

On the Sam Side the controversial Fire Dance is singular and great. What right thinking gent would trash talk a BlackBerry Brandy Cream Tobacco?

———-

There’s been a number of prolific makers and brilliant blenders that have faded into the sunset over the years, Mc Clelland being the latest. While their loss is lamented, even bringing a tear, if the Gawith cousin’s blends ever went away...that would pretty much be IT for me.  :(

I'd never consider Firedance as a Lakeland. Rather it's an aro to me, and one of the few that I can say I truly enjoy occasionally.

Now, for me, the scenting of Lakelands is something I've never been able to develop a taste for. However I will admit to enjoying St. Bruno a lot, and it clearly has a slight bit of that going on. Yet it's at a dose I can live with. I've also had Condor and got along fine with that as well. Apparently Condor has more of the Lakeland character but it's not too pronounced.

Perhaps someday I'll acquire a taste for those that have more of the "L" character.

Cheers,

RR

DrT999":wk5qwg5m said:
Depending on my mood: Grasmere Flake; Ennerdale; & #7 Broken Flake, but I enjoy a number of others as well
Are of of the Synjeco ropes/twists scented? I seem to remember one of them was and REALLY liking it, but can't put my finger on which one it was. Or maybe it wasn't Synjeco at all.

I just acquired a sample of Grousemoor Plug and it's my favorite Lakeland to date--just fabulous stuff. Wish it was easier to acquire on these shores because I'll burn through it too fast, I'm sure. Obviously you can acquire the ribbon cut Grousemoor easily enough but plugs are my absolute favorites and this is one of the best. Still need to try Cannon and RB, tho...

idbowman":xakwanrv said:
DrT999":xakwanrv said:
Are of of the Synjeco ropes/twists scented?  I seem to remember one of them was and REALLY liking it, but can't put my finger on which one it was.  Or maybe it wasn't Synjeco at all.
Some detect hints of it in the Bad Nun & Bad Nun II. I didn't, but it takes a bit more than I hint for me to detect it :roll: