Favorite ring gauge/cigar size?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

szyzk

Reaction score
Since I work in cigar retail, I love reading people's opinions on this question.

I'm a staunch supporter of the corona sized cigar, though I can be easily talked into enjoying lanceros & lonsdales.

So pipe up, folks, what's your favorite size?

When I was solely a cigar smoker,
I liked bigger cigars, but not huge.
Mostly Robustos, and double Coronas.
Now days, I mostly like smaller cigars.
Petite Corona is now my preferred size.
I don't wanna have to wait too long for my next bowl. :lol:

I also like Lanceros & Lonsdales if they're not plugged. :twisted:

All things considered, I prefer the corona, as long as it's a full 5.62 X 46 or so. I don't understand the popularity of the larger cigars, althought I've smoked my share. They make it seem like I'm sucking on something unmentionable. The idea that they have more flavor is lost on me--I don't think it's true. As far as lasting longer, the corona is enough for this ol' boy. I'm a pipe man, anyhow. Far more variety.

Richard Burley":w1dcnurm said:
The idea that they have more flavor is lost on me--I don't think it's true.
I'm almost positive that it is not true, and simply a marketing tactic or a justification of fixing something that wasn't broke for the sake of appeasing Americans' (of which I am one - not knocking my country here!) "bigger is absolutely 100% better and a birthright" stance.

I've always felt that the bulk of the flavor from a cigar comes from the wrapper. Yes, the wrappers are bigger in a large cigar but there's more filler to go around, too... In a corona, or anything 46RG or smaller, the wrapper simply makes up a larger percentage of the cigar.

Richard Burley":4zpkdi7y said:
All things considered, I prefer the corona, as long as it's a full 5.62 X 46 or so. I don't understand the popularity of the larger cigars, althought I've smoked my share. They make it seem like I'm sucking on something unmentionable. The idea that they have more flavor is lost on me--I don't think it's true. As far as lasting longer, the corona is enough for this ol' boy. I'm a pipe man, anyhow. Far more variety.
Well there's large and huge.
I don't feel comfortable with over 50 RG, unless it's a torpedo.
The other day, I smoked an '05 Luci (49RG) that took 2.25 hours. :lol:
(worth every minute.)

Hermit":2csmx6s6 said:
I don't feel comfortable with over 50 RG
Typically I don't either, though with all of my huffing and puffing about RG comes this caveat: there are some cigars specifically blended to be big and that's when I make exceptions. One of my favorite cigars is the Tatuaje Face (as the multiple boxes in my coolerdor will attest to), and even though it's a 56RG I'm fine with it because I find the taste to be incredible. I'll deal with it being big. Unfortunately I rarely have 3 1/2 hours to smoke one so I don't get to enjoy them as often as I'd like.

6x54 and the darker and oiler oscuro the wrapper the better to hold and to enjoy smoking

For years my go to cigar was the Hoyo Governor, which was 48 x 6." Now that I don't smoke as many cigars, i like a lot of shapes; a particular favorite is the La Gloria Cubana Series R in a Maduro which is a 60 RG x 6. They need some aging but they're good.

Glad to hear differing opinions on this. Manufacturers wouldn't make a size (big or small) if it didn't sell, and it just goes to show that everyone's tastes are different!

50 ring for me - Robusto

Also various perfectos from the hemminway line...

Typically it depends on the occasion. What I am eating or drinking. But if I just want to smoke I usually grab a 5 x 50 or 48.

That being said. During the summer months when my pipes are at rest I like bigger. A crown and coke and a huge maduro is a great evening (and buzz).

Lately my tastes have been enjoying the Nubs so 4 x 60 and 3 x 54 have been working pretty well for me.

If I'm honest I confess to finding the middle of a 6 X 52/65/56 cigar boring. I get very excited about the flavors in the first 1.5 inches but become inattentive until I'm down to the final 3".

I smoked a Kinky Friedman 4.5 X 54 Lone Star yesterday, and although my concentration lapsed in the middle, as usual, I had to wake up sooner as the one hour cigar more quickly ended.

I may just start buying robustos.

IMHO the Corona Gorda 46 x 5 1/2" is the perfect size. Though I mostly smoke Robustos at 50 x 5" or Petite Coronas at 42 x 5" as they seem to be far more common sizes. I tend to avoid anything larger than 52.

Dave_In_Philly":6r1ozx3l said:
IMHO the Corona Gorda 46 x 5 1/2" is the perfect size. Though I mostly smoke Robustos at 50 x 5" or Petite Coronas at 42 x 5" as they seem to be far more common sizes. I tend to avoid anything larger than 52.

Corona Gorda is my wheelhouse.

But does that mean I don't love a Siglo VI or Boli Gigantes? *F* no! :D

A larger ring gauge smokes much cooler than a smaller one, so someone who is a "huffer" may find the larger ring gauges more to their liking.

For me, the 54 is the perfect smoke when it comes to smoking quality, but not necessarily the best balance in taste.

Dutch":7mqe2h3u said:
A larger ring gauge smokes much cooler
Honest question: why is that? I'm a very occasional cigar smoker, so I've never been (and will never be) able to make even an anecdotal comparison. But shouldn't a larger burning surface area produce more heat, all other factors being equal?

This man handles an 8" 60 ringer. Fidel Castro, watch your ass!