Favorite Seal Breaking Tool

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreppyHippy

Reaction score
I just used a handy screwdriver to wedge under the edge of the lid of a square tin, in the dimpled slot by a corner. Worked fine, but everytime I do this I wonder if there's a better tool for the job since with too much bending of the metal edges the tin will have more air to dry the leaf out.

I keep an old English penny in my pocket, an artifact of the day when a penny was actually worth something, was made from copper, and could be used as button on a constable's jacket, or a weapon in a pinch. It's the same size as a US half-dollar, and is so ideally suited to opening tobacco tins, I'm left to wonder if they weren't originally made with that very coin in mind. (If you haven't got a penny then a ha'penny won't do, neither a coconut, a tuppence or a threpence, and the new pound coins, which carry about the same monetary weight as a penny did then, are much too thick. ;))

Quarter for me too. If I don't happen to have one kicking around, I'll use the spoon on my Czech tool

Well at least no one uses dental tools.

I'd have thought most coins would be too wide, but now that I look at it, as long as there's a sufficient dimple in the underside of the tin, coins ought to work fine. I'll remember.

I must say Mr. Pease's special coin and habit of its use is pretty cool. Almost worth looking for a coin shop to find one of my own.

Thank you all for the replies. If anyone else has a neat habit or a sentimental one I'm sure still interested.

Thanks again!

I just use my fingers. Does get a little uncomfortable by about the 6th tin of an order but damnit I want to smell them NOW!

I generally use whatever coin I have available. I never use a club, because that is cruel.

see, ive never had a problem because i havent owned a tin yet sadly. I'm thinking of getting some Orlik golden sliced.

Anthonyx2b":c3r10i6y said:
see, ive never had a problem because i havent owned a tin yet sadly. I'm thinking of getting some Orlik golden sliced.
When you get a tin pay cash then. The pocket change will get you smoking right away!