Favorite Seal Breaking Tool

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And I thought this was going to be a thread about house-training an semi-aquatic marine mammal.

I use the same Church key that I use to open beer bottles. Pssshht!

This reminds me of the Simpson's episode where Homer develops an affinity for turning his new pistol into a tool for doing everything.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eh6oKWUXEzg" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OK confession time...

Back in the long distant past when I was getting into tinned blends I found the seal on say Dunhill blends and the like hard to break by simply twisting. Thought I had a good grip, and tried whacking them with a butter knife in the same fashion as one would do to attempting to open a jar of pickles or something.

That technique produced shall we say, less than satisfactory results......

Inquired at my B&M and they said to use a quarter to pry it up and hey presto.... it worked a charm.

Been doing this ever since.

Duh.....

:monkey:

Cheers,

RR

Paint can opener, particularly the small variety that has a blunt edge only, and no sharp edge. Paint stores often toss them in free with a purchase. Failing that, they only charge a quarter. "Course you could just use the quarter in the first place.

If that fails, back the car out of your garage. stand back from a wall, take a stance and look in for the sign, hold said tin in your curve ball grip, go into a stretch delivery following through by bringing your hand down sharply to get a nasty spin. Retrieve now open tin and move the contents into a suitable Ball jar. (That's why it's called a Ball jar, in case you didn't know.)

My old handcuff key I keep in my key ring (great for opening beers also), or a quarter.

I open all my tins with the Jedi mind trick :suspect: .......and a Swiss army multi knife, usually the back side of the can opener tool. I make sure to always say "you will give your sweet toby over for me to smoke" in a very Jedi manner though, just makes me feel more powerful that way. ;)

Like DrumsAndBeer I use a churchkey.

Keep one in office, one in Jeep and am ready at all times to pop a brew, open a tin, or slice into any vintage, pre-poptop PBR's I may find.

I use a doubloon that I caught during a Mardi Gras parade when I still lived in LA. There's a $0.50 piece and a birth year quarter lying with the doubloon if I ever feel like changing it up. :)

opplanet-screwdriver-detail-c33t-satin-finish-blades-8602xx.jpg

..an air chisel/hammer or a microwave works pretty good, depending on the tin size... sometimes, a bench grinder works good too for those 100 gram tins.. oh word! when those aren't within reach, I just use a good ol' penny or small pocket screwdriver

Kyle Weiss":wxcciogw said:
Teeth

....or a pipe nail.

8)

Ha! You keep that up you'll end up with pearly, celestial teeth. You know. The ones that come out at night. :eek:

I use a big, flat washer. I had left it on our dresser drawer upstairs in our bedroom. This morning, I watched my wife pick i it up and chuck it into the bathroom trash can. I dove after it and had to explain what I needed a washer for.... I just used it a few minutes ago to open a fresh tin of Dunhill London Mixture.