Favorite shape?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokey422

Reaction score
I'm a pretty eclectic collector and have several different shapes in my collection but find that I am leaning towards bulldogs and Rhodesians lately. I like the way they hang and all of mine are good smokers. Probably my two favorite pipes are my Jan Zeman Rhodesian and my Peterson 999 Rhodesian. Someday I'd like to get a Peterson 80S bulldog and another Jan Zeman, his pipes are really superb.

Smokey

Thank you! We've establised what we don't like in the other thread, so let's find out what we like!! I'm all for positive...

Me? Canadians, Lovats, Liverpools, and Lumbermen. Oh my!

Billiards & bulldogs, both with straight, tapered stems.

I have a wide variety of shapes in my "collection."
It's hard to say if I have a favorite shape.
I'll say slightly bent and mebbie an apple/billiard/ball? :|

I like cherrywoods, squat tomatoes, bent acorns and bent bulldogs/rhodesians....but I'm only in my pipesmoking infancy so I'm sure my tastes will change...or maybe not...lol I have no idea.

Sandblasted billiards, apples and Oom Pauls. But I like a lot of shapes, this is harder than what I don't like.

I'm with MisterE (great minds think alike) I love Liverpools, Canadians, lumbermen...

I also adore straight apples and pokers. For bent pipes I'm partial to the egg and the brandy

Freehands encompass a lot of variety, but I love the classic Danish style with plateau and at least a 1/4 bend. I'm also a big fan of oom pauls.

Slightly bent bulldogs and billiards for me, preferably with saddle stems. Rhodesians and billiards with shank variations are not discriminated against, either.

Overall I guess I dig long shanked stuff (lovat/canadian/lumberman etc.) for striaghts, bent Danish egg-type shapes and both straight & bent bulldog/rhodesians. I really want a blasted, slightly canted long shanked dublin w/ a plateau rim. Just haven't found the right one yet or decided who I want to carve it for me.

Really almost any shape if done well can strike my fancy though, even the crazy ones. It's usually the proportions, lines, balance, and a gracefullness of form that make me want a particular pipe. I also have been paying alot more attention to size & weight recently, preferring smaller and light weight pipes which can often be at odds with the long-shanked idea, but not always.

I've gotta go with Mr.E, s.Ireland, and Frost! Lovats, lumbermans and canadians are my cup of tea. If it has to be bent I lean more towards the danish school of thought rather than English styling. If I had to pick ONE shape to stick with the rest of my life it'd most certainly be a lovat, preferably sandblasted!

Frost, on a side not you should look at Chris Askwith, I was going to post a photos of a dublin as you described, but he's since taken that photo off of his website. It was gorgeous, nice long pencil shank, deep blast and beautiful plateau.

Really, great idea to start this thread...too easy to get negative about specific shapes you don't like, and why.

I honestly think, for me, it depends on the briar grain first, and shape later. Then there's holdability, clenchability, what I'm doing at the time, etc...

Lumbermen, Lovats, Canadian, Liverpools and their ilk are wonderful: if the grain and cut is right. The more wood shown off, when it is good, the better. The design is capable to show off great rustication and texture, too. Wonderfully sleek, lightweight to carry, good length to keep smoke out of the eyes...

I like apples, pears, pots, brandies, and billiards rusticated or finished roughly--though they can show off a nice grain, they're a great shape for the hand. Especially if they're on the heavy side, they're great smokers. Great pipes while sitting, and if made to sit (but not necessary).

Freehands (love that plateau), whales, fishbowls, eggs, volcanoes and other atypical, avant-garde shapes are there to look at and appreciate the feel of the angles. Everyone already knows I love weirdo pipes. Sometimes cumbersome or funky, they have an appeal to me that is more curious to go investigate than anything. Extra points if they happen to mesh well with my smoking habits and fit in the hand--I've found most of them somewhat inconvenient to travel with or clench. Sitters a plus.

The "cylinder" lines are ones that appeal to me a lot: Pokers foremost, sleek yet playing off those 90° angles and convenient to set down... dig 'em! I also love a good cutty and Dublin! :cheers:

My favorite "utilitarian" pipes: Best is the bulldog, hands down. One with a slight bend, especially. (cheers, Harlock!) Rhodesian and other formats as well. Few pipes look like as sporty as a nice bulldog, regardless of the grain or setup--I love 'em. They are artistic, yet simple, great for being on the town. Runners-up are Diplomat-cut MM cob, and spiffy panels!

itsKot":mv9550c4 said:
Frost, on a side not you should look at Chris Askwith...
I look at Chris' work quite often and I think I may even recall the particular dublin you are referencing. There have been several pipes on his site I have come real close to purchasing. Do you have any?

I very much like the his style and the way interprets shapes and the things he comes up with. I wish I could see a few of his in person to get a closer look. Some of the bits in his photos look like they might be cut a little bit thicker than I like but obviously it's hard to tell from a photo, and I have seen him post many shapes that are flat out fantastic in my opnion.

I never meet a shape I did not like. To me it is all about the density of the briar.

Frost":wi74t84d said:
Do you have any?
No, I don't but I've seen only good things bout him online. Actually I'm eying up that strawberry wood bulldog he's had up for a while now, hell the holidays are right at our doorstep too, oh I'm so very tempted...

I just did a google search for "Askwith pipe dublin" and it came back with some results, some from Chris' site and others that the buyer put up himself! That one though, is not the plateau crowned one, but is still very similar to the other one of which we're speaking.

Grain is always the first thing to catch my eye, followed by shape; I can accept most shapes if they are symmetrical. Next is finish; I am a sucker for a red/burgundy (I have 5 REO Ferndowns). Finally come deep North American blasts. If like Rad Davis' pipes a deep blast is combined with appealing color, that will always get my vote.

Don't really think I have a favorite shape, at least as far as the bowl goes. I do however lean towards bent styles and virtually all of my modest collection supports this.

Cheers,

RR

I like full bent pipes. Im drawn to the Savinelli 614, and have gotten a feww of them.
IMG052.jpg

1) Group 4 Billiards

2) Apples/Princes

3) Bulldogs (straight & quarter bent)

All smooth.

With the exception of a Castello Collection PeeDee bombed me with one Christmas, nearly all Anglo-Irish and around 40 or more years old. Many have lucite replacement stems with proper airways for improved performance.

All long-term dedicated to FVF or Embarcadero. (A few reserved for occasional English mixtures).

You find your niche and get comfortable in it.

:face: