Favorite Shape?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I voted billiard. I have really come to appreciate the smoking qualities of a billiard or some variation of it over the last few years.

Bulldogs,Apples,about a 1/4 bent suit me.Love a large Freehand for reading and TV watching.

Winslow :sunny:

The Castello shape 34. Can also be found made as Savinelli Autograph or other makers at times. A quasi oval dublin shape with a plateau top. A most comfortable shape for me to hold and easy shape for a pipemaker to form. Sandblast is my fav.
:D

I voted for the venerable billiard. However, like a lot of other pipesters here, bulldogs and rhodesians are right behind!

I voted for the blowfish even tho the hawkbill is my first choice, then comes the billiard and the roddie. There sure are a lot of nice ones out there.

My current favorite is a full bent barrel made by Cavicchi so I voted for oom paul. I also really like 1/4 to 3/4 bent eggs. My tastes seem to be ever changing though.

After further consideration of the question and looking at the pipes I've been purchaseing and reviewing the ones I habitually pick up to smoke I would have to say my hands down favorite is the Author shape. The next choices would be as I posted above. I also reserve the right to change my mind later :scratch: .

I used to be a freehand nut, but the last year ot two has been all about billiards. I love Dunhills ODA billiards that stand a bit taller but still have perfect lines.

I'd also like to cast a vote for Kilted's Canadian grouping, a good sub-genus of the striaght pipe.

Voted Bullmoose like Carlos because Author not on list. I really like the heavy shank and heavy wide fishtail. Only own one so far, but see more in future. Am working on a trade for a Bullmoose, have never had one in my hand, but once again really like the beefy shank and stem. Have little skinny hands, but the Author sure nestles in it well.

Bulldog Bruce

I clicked on Billiard but there are so many other shapes that I love as well. How about a Hawksbill ? It is not here. Castello's Shape 55 pot, egg, squat tomato, there are so many great shapes...

Cheers
Ken

Dublins and calabashes.

pipe002.jpg

calabash.jpg

My favorites also include poker/cherrywoods and Dublins; but since they were not on the list I chose Canadian.

As a pure smoking machine for Virginia flakes, nothing (IMO) beats a group 3-size (19 mm. chamber diameter) bent bulldog. Problem is, engineering in the older examples I prefer. Straight bulldogs and princes are superlative as well, and without the airway problems.

Gotta go with classic old billiards though, overall. Irish or English (maker immaterial) and around 40 - 50 years old. Put a George Dibos custom airway'd lucite stem on one, and pure bliss is in store.

:face:

I voted Canadian. I do like long shanked pipes. To me a lovat is in the same family though.

I also like bulldogs. I guess it depends on the pipe and what I want to smoke. I know some people have collections around a certain shape, but I was always of the philosophy of "I don't have one of those yet."

Kinda like I wouldn't want a closet of all black shirts.

my favorite shape would be a bent bulldog I also enjoy calabash and freehand shapes,but I do have many different shapes in my collection.

I´m definitely a Canadian man, although I´m an American who lives in Mexico :) I just have this superstition that they smoke drier due to the longer wooden shank. I have several and an old Savinelli Oscar I have had for almost 20 years is my favorite. Outsmokes any of my Dunhills or Petes :shock: