Favorite Virginia

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MC

Reaction score
I originally started pipe smoking to help myself cut down on those nasty cigs. About the only time I smoke cigs now is when I cant my pipe. One of the first tobaccos I smoked was recommended by McCranies. (lucky enough to live only 5 miles away) It was their First Lite. They also told me it was actually McClellands 5100. I have always had 5100 around while trying other tobacco. My favorite Va at this moment is Red Ribbon.

Here is the question for other Va smokers. What are your favorites past and present?

Opposite ends of the spectrum :

Union Square : light, subtle & understated complexity.

Full Virginia Flake : the chocolate cake of Virginias.

Best brown Flake (SG) : tangy, tart, grassy, sweet.

:face:

Madsen :cheers:

Virginia-Madsen.jpg

In all seriousness
FVF for straight Va
Louisiana flake is the only VaPer
Several VaBurs, Stonehaven being at my top

McC's FM 2000 - sweet red va
Dunhill Flake - St sweetGolden Va's - very subtle and one of the nicest st va's made
Orlik Golden Sliced - nice, light VaPer
Royal Yacht - complex mix of red and golden Va's with a casing that melds it all into a distinctive smoke. BIG nic hit as well :twisted:
McC's Blackwoods Flake - sweet red Va's and stoved black Va's , nice full Va
These are what I consume in regular daily smoking :twisted:

I have to choose? :(

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_leAfff2WhI" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:twisted:

FVF, BBF, Astleys No. 44, F&T CVP

runners up F&T CBP, F&T Blackjack, Germain Brown Flake, McC Rich Virginia Ribbon, McC 24

McClelland Blackwood Flake
SG Full Virginia Flake
Rattray Hal o the Wynd (relatively new for me)

Also:
PS LNF
Orlick Golden Sliced
they may not be straight VA but they might as well be, IMHO.

For Straight Virginia's, I have been really enjoying the McClelland 2012 Christmas Cheer!!!

Dunhill flake.
Virginia no. 1.
I currently have these in my rotation, excellent tobaccos . I might add these are bright Virginia's, grassy, fresh hay .

Too many to list, but here's a snapshot-

McC Christmas Cheer
Virginia Squire (titljlp)
Quadruple Virginia (titljlp)
6 Virginias (Pipe & Pint)
Dunhill Flake
Sammy G's BBF

Of the above CC and BBF is probably the purest VA, to my taste.

Cheers,

RR

PSLNF, OGS, PSBEF, McC FM 2000 and Escudo. I smoke more Va/burs than anything. GH&Co Brown Flake unscented and Scotch Flake are two of my all time favorites.

Every va I have tried from ol mcclelland has been smooth and sweet.

S.G. Golden glow
S.G. Best Brown flake
S.G. Full Virginia flake

Boy, it's hard to beat Full Virginia Flake! It was my first love in pipe tobacco and its hard to top it.

As far as other straights, I'd give the nod to Christmas Cheer, Hamborger Veermaster (mild), and Solani Silver Flake.

There are oodles of other Virginias I've read about here and haven't tried...Union Square being one. Maybe I'll get one in a trade sometime.

I've really never met a Virginia I didn't like, but the ones I keep around all the time and smoke the most of are Rattray's Hal O' The Wynd, McClelland #27 and Dunhill Flake.

Rattray's Hal O' The Wynd is one of my faves, some Sam Gawith's as well (sam's best, st james), solani silver flake, escudo navy deluxe. This is off the top of my head (and I may be wrong about some even being virginias!)

I also really like Dunhill's Royal Yacht and early morning pipe (not sure that one's content)

--alex