Favourite smoking spots

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Berwick

Reaction score
I've just got back from a pleasant afternoon wander in the woods near our house with my kids, its good to let the cubs off the leash to run wild while I have a contemplative puff whilst sitting under my favourite tree. I was wondering whether anyone else has a favourite outdoor haunt for enjoying a quiet smoke?

82612.jpg

I've got a little spot way back on the farm nestled into the corner of two stone walls that are the property line. Amongst the maples and pipe trees, far from anything, I've built a small crude lean-to sheltering me from rain and snow. I use it in the fall for deer hunting, and other times when things get crazy and some contemplating time is required. I take some peanuts and feed the squirrels and chimpmunks, watch the deer and their fawns, admit to taking a short nap. There's nothing like lighting up a bowl of flake and having nature put things into perspective.

Behind our house is a fire pit on the edge of the lawn sitting atop a steep knoll overlooking the kingdom. It's been the sight of family meetings, smores, fishing whoppers, hunting mistruths, heart to heart talks, and more than a few pounds of tobacco ash. A snapping, crackling bonfire is worthy competition for anything on TV or at the movies. Most of all it clears the mind and that's priceless.

My back porch is my favorite spot around the house to fire up the pipe. But sometimes I'll get on the bike and ride to Norris Dam State Park. There's an overlook which affords a beautiful view of the dam, the lake, and the river. That's a pretty nice spot to relax with a bowl.

Mike

This is a great topic ...nice job Nick, as of right now my back porch is my favorite place to have a pipe. I also like to have a pipe while walking the woods across the street from my house. Another place I like to have a bowl is out in my cousins little aluminum boat while fishing for large mouth bass...and yes my cousin also brings his pipe when we fish, we are always trading different tobacco when we fish.

Wherever I happen to be when the urge to partake occurs.

In the winter its in the garage , the rest of the time its on the front porch.

In my living room with either a book or my mandolin in my hands. A great way to spool down at the end of the day.

Toilet2x225.jpg

There's a feeling of complete release when I smoke here.

My favorite spot is in the workshop (also serves as my man cave). An old claw foot armchair in front of the shops wood stove makes for relaxing moments.
Or off on my bike to waste an afternoon.

Kudos to the toilet, but since I have two teen daughters, I do not get much scheduled time there anymore.

I live on a 20 mile long lake, and my favorite spot is somewhere on the banks of that muddy lake and watching nature and God do their work! I dunno if anyone mentioned it, but I usually tend to go out there close to sunset, and watch everything wind down for the remainder of the night, quietly pondering life and God, then walk back through the woods to my car.

jmwill":9e4p76pg said:
I live on a 20 mile long lake, and my favorite spot is somewhere on the banks of that muddy lake and watching nature and God do their work! I dunno if anyone mentioned it, but I usually tend to go out there close to sunset, and watch everything wind down for the remainder of the night, quietly pondering life and God, then walk back through the woods to my car.
That sounds real relaxing.

The backyard porch here has a wonderful view of the lake and the wooded foothills beyond. It faces east, offering up some great shade during the hottest part of the day. No sunsets to see, but there are some great moonrises over the water. So far, I've seen bald eagles, blue herons, bats, geese, and super-sized dragonflies.

Looks like I might actually spend a year in one place. I hear the east wind picks up a bit after the equinox. I may have to rethink my all-matches policy at that point, but we'll see.

Two favorite "spots" :

1 - In my den at 2 AM, wife asleep, dogs on the floor by my feet, good Scotch, good pipe, good tobacco, old Sherlock Holmes movie with Basil Rathbone on DVD, all quiet.

2 - Walking in the winter, at night, all alone, smoking and pondering the mysteries of life.

NeroWolfe":cbdlrd9v said:
Two favorite "spots" :

2 - Walking in the winter, at night, all alone, smoking and pondering the mysteries of life.

That is quite possibly my favorite part of smoking. *** :cheers:

By a fire in the fire pit in my front yard. My house is in he middle of the farm and you can't see the road so it's very quiet and peaceful. The man that gave me my first pipe told me "the best thing about a fire is no two are ever the same". I have to agree that a good pipe, good tobacco, and a good fire are more interesting than anything television could ever offer.

Phill_osophical":hh4ua9yx said:
NeroWolfe":hh4ua9yx said:
Two favorite "spots" :

That is quite possibly my favorite part of smoking. *** :cheers:
Hear hear. 8)