fear the walking dead

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Briar Spirit

Reaction score
Just watched the first episode last night, any one else here watch it yet?

SPOILER ALERT

IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED IT YET AND INTEND ON DOING SO THEN DON'T READ ANY MORE OF THIS

What the hell was that rubbish all about, that was the most boring 63 minutes of TV viewing I have ever seen and I have viewed some pretty slow and rather dull 70's Sci-Fi/Horror in my time.

Just two shows of so-called Zombies and both were extremely brief and neither did a damn thing of consequence and what the hell is that Zombie blue eyes rubbish all about, seriously, all the Zombies are going to have cute blue eyes!

Is it just me or are all of the characters lame as hell, I couldn't latch on to a single one of them, I genuinely couldn't care less what happens to any of them except for the cold hearted mother and all I am hoping for there is that she gets killed off really soon, maybe it's just me but her attitude towards her family and new man sucks so much crap, she is an awful character.

What the hell is going on with the central (thus far) character, a self involved junkie piece of crap who lies to everyone, seriously, he's going to be the central character, some greasy smack head piece of crap, not in a happy place with that idea, not one bit.

Yeah okay, so we're supposed to be seeing how the outbreak got started but concentrating on so few central characters and having not one of them strong enough to pull off a lame drama soap opera, does not bode well, not in my opinion.

Just seemed like a really shite boring school kid drama that just so happened to have a couple of really lame short supposed Zombie scenes thrown in just to confuse everything, me personally, VERY disappointed to say the least.

Don't hold back Kirk. Tell us what you really think.
Never heard of it. Some sort of spinoff?

Heya George, yes it is a spin-off of the series The Walking Dead, which is a very successful Zombie apocalypse TV series but this spin-off is meant to be showing us where and how it all started off which wasn't explained very well in The Walking Dead.

There has been the usual heaps of hype building up to the airing of this spin-off and saying it was a huge let down to me is an understatement in the extreme, I dare say there will be those who found it thoroughly engaging but I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were many more who feel the same way as I do about it.

Figured it might be an interesting topic for discussion is all.

That sounds like a really bad idea. Walking Dead was unique because it began where most zombie films end, when we're thinking "what happens next?"
To go back and show "what happened first" seems like it would just thin out the story rather than add to it.

"Walking Dead?" What's this, some television thing? Never owned one. Seriously. And I've never passed up an opportunity to strut my superiority in taste, refinement, and moral aura.

FTWD better deliver some zombie pocalyse goodness next episode or I'm out. Lol. Killing some crack heads just ain't enough. Lol.

Richard, it's going to happen.. Eventually the pharmaceutical outfits will eff it up bad enough to create zombies. Lol.

And the surviving lawyers will love it.

"Have you or someone you loved been eaten by a zombie. Then you need to call Diddy, Scrèwem, & Howe! We're we will Fight for your life".

puros_bran":lzspkqhz said:
Richard, it's going to happen.. Eventually the pharmaceutical outfits will eff it up bad enough to create zombies. Lol.
Zombies, I am not convinced that will ever happen, cells deprived of oxygen and nutrients will not be able to handle the reintroduction of those essentials resources and would in essence, for lack of a better term self destruct so the long term process of re-animation in my humble opinion is not terribly likely.

Now an event similar to that suggested in the movie '28 Days Later', now there is something one might consider a possibility, a virus which over stimulates the animal instincts and suppresses that which we consider to be our 'civilised' behaviour resulting in uncontrollable rage response behaviour, yeah, I would hazard a guess that is not entirely out of the realms of possibility, to bring in a reality perspective, ever heard of 'roid-rage'.

I thoroughly enjoyed the pilot. I thought the tension was perfect. I didn't care much for the music, but standard set by "The Walking Dead" is on another plane.

I like the characters and Kim Dickens in particular. I enjoyed seeing "fresh" zombies vs. the aged ones in TWD.

I'll definitely be watching the rest of the show.

Thanks for joining the conversation Al, interesting you say you liked Kim's character, to me she came across as very dead emotionally, she didn't seem to really connect with her daughter, I get the lack of connection with the son but even her interaction with her new boyfriend just felt awkward and insincere to me.

Briar Spirit":b9y8z4w6 said:
Thanks for joining the conversation Al, interesting you say you liked Kim's character, to me she came across as very dead emotionally, she didn't seem to really connect with her daughter, I get the lack of connection with the son but even her interaction with her new boyfriend just felt awkward and insincere to me.
They always leave a lot of room to grow the characters, so I'm not surprised or disappointed that the pilot was slower faced on character development. I'm curious as to what they do with the drug-addicted son. And, who gets the axe first. The loser HS kid looks to factor into the next show more heavily.

I'm with you Briar Spirit. I'm a big Walking Dead fan. I read the comics before the show ever aired. I was thoroughly disappointed with the Fear the Walking Dead premiere. I'm holding on hopes that they are using the same principle that the comic book used over and over of lulling the audience to near sleep then BAM! Craziness ensues. I'll give it a couple more episodes just in case.

riff raff":oog7ty6d said:
They always leave a lot of room to grow the characters, so I'm not surprised or disappointed that the pilot was slower faced on character development. I'm curious as to what they do with the drug-addicted son. And, who gets the axe first. The loser HS kid looks to factor into the next show more heavily.

I feel it is wrong to allow a new series such room, do you recall the first episode of TWD, man that thing came out with all guns blazing in the first episode and the show just refused to quit all the way.

I hate all the PC crap with our supposed to be all caring and stuff with drug addicts, meh, I could go on but I for one am not happy with the drug addict crap in this show.

Wayne_Teipen":p9g5e9do said:
I'm with you Briar Spirit. I'm a big Walking Dead fan. I read the comics before the show ever aired. I was thoroughly disappointed with the Fear the Walking Dead premiere. I'm holding on hopes that they are using the same principle that the comic book used over and over of lulling the audience to near sleep then BAM! Craziness ensues. I'll give it a couple more episodes just in case.
Yeah, I get that it was going to take a while to build up but concentrating on such a very small group right from the start really got up my nose, annoyingly I couldn't 'connect' with even a single character, I didn't even feel the pity or the reverse hatred for the smack head, just found it a total cop-out they used such a cheap ploy to attain attention for the pilot, shite scripting, shite acting cannot be made all better by using cheap tricks in audience emotive response tactics, bloody poor show in my opinion.

At the same time, by the end of this season, we’re still not really at the place where Rick Grimes is, you know?
Now that right there is a sad statement of how this first season is going.

Quick update on this subject from me, just got to see the 2nd episode and what can I say, starting to get it now, I saw this episode not expecting anything to 'WOW' me and found it far more engaging. Still very much let-down by the lack of Zombie activity but as it is all about the outbreak I'm going to have to just curb my impatience, it is getting more involved so that's great to see.

Archy died way to early, I found him quite the intriguing gentleman. :cheers:

puros_bran":lvwwqn5a said:
Small world there chap, I totally misread his character, I felt sure he was a great choice for a long term character in the programme, total head slam seeing him killed off already but at least we are not getting the 'protect the central character' syndrome which was so strong in TWD for so long, definitely adds a more realistic take on the story.

Briar Spirit":k6mza1h9 said:
puros_bran":k6mza1h9 said:
Small world there chap, I totally misread his character, I felt sure he was a great choice for a long term character in the programme, total head slam seeing him killed off already but at least we are not getting the 'protect the central character' syndrome which was so strong in TWD for so long, definitely adds a more realistic take on the story.
The actor who played Art was too much of a character actor, I figured he was toast pretty quickly.
What they haven't shown yet is much core, you didn't see Art getting his head bashed apart. Hopefully those special effects escalate with the storyline.
I did enjoy the chaos of a city imploding.

I think I need to reevaluate my "Contingency For Zombie 'Pocalypse Looting".

I'd always said Grocery Store, Pharmacy, Liquer Store, Gun Store.. But apparently the proper order is Pharmacy, Gun Store, Liquer Store, Grocery Store.

You are correct, it was Artie, not Archie, I On Demand watched it again today.