Ferment your own?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldbear58

Reaction score
My early and preliminary experience with producing my own tobacco suggests that perhaps just packing away tobacco leaves in slightly damp condition in jars (probably with loose fitting lids to allow gas escape) might result in interesting fermentation, perhaps over a few months or a year.

Has anyone tried simply jarring moist tobacco with any luck?

Can you warm it to increase the fermentation rate, perhaps with a yoghurt maker or heating pad?

Is ammonia production necessary or does fermentation or beneficial aging occur without generating detectable ammonia?

If you are simply jarring commercial tobacco to age it how much moisture should you use before you close the jar?

Oldbear

I've no experience re: producing my own tobacco, but I have been jarring "commercial" pipe tobacco for decades.

The tobacco gets jarred "as is" (* see below)-- well packed in 8 oz./half pint screw-top Ball/Mason jars -- leaving 1/4 to 1/2 inch of air space before screwing on the lid tightly and storing it in my cellar (a dark and cool walk-in closet).  I then come back to it a few days later to check the jar(s) to make sure the lids are still tight.

* The pipe tobacco is in fine smoking condition when jarred, thus correct moisture and cut are not an issue.

Packed in a jar with limited air contact I would be worried about moisture promoting mold, but I've never tried it.

Fermentation / kiln finishing drives off the ammonia, which is necessary unless you enjoy smoking ammonia.