Ferndown fever

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunter5117

Reaction score
I just received 2 new Ferndowns from Pipes2Smoke. The 2 that I bought here on BoB from Atwageman primed the pump, and now I have four.

Really really really nice classic English pipes. Effortless smoking as well, seem to draw themselves.

I know, pics required. Have to get out the camera and will try and post a couple.

You know you're supposed to post pictures, even mention it, and still don't do it. What are we going to do with you? :scratch:

8)

I've become very fond of the Ferndowns as well. His classic Canadian is just beautiful, down to the smooth rim on blasted finishes. His silver work is top notch as well. My only "semi complaint" would be that it appears he fits the wood to the stem (instead of the other way around) on the Canadians.

Come to think of it, the only panel pipe I can remember liking was a Ferndown. He managed to pull it off.

Here are pics of the 2 new ones, a billiard and an apple. The apple is the first I have had with a brindle stem on a dark rusticated finish, my others are more the classic Dunhill cumberland. This photo is a bit over exposed so the brindle pops more than it does in real life, a little more subdued when in hand.

The 2 that I bought from Atwageman were previously posted by him so I won't tie up the bandwidth posting them again.

20120313+New+Ferndowns+001.jpg

20120313+New+Ferndowns+002.jpg

MrE, the 2 I bought from Atwageman did happen to be a Canadian and an octagonal paneled Dublin. Both superb pipes. I found the fit on the stem to shank on the Canadian to be fine, but curiously the shank was rotated just a couple of degrees counter clockwise. Artifact of being handmade I would imagine.

I actually had a Ferndown Bulldog sent to me by mistake this week instead of my London Castle that's on it's way. An honest mistake that is website glitch related to be sure but man oh man, I almost kept it. From what I could tell, that's some quality craftsmanship right there. The draw was quite to my liking too.
Lovely... Or manly pipes! Whichever you prefer ;)

Two classy briars right there! Enjoy :)

I especially like the apple with the Cumberland stem!

s.ireland":0uyzejwm said:
Two classy briars right there! Enjoy :)

I especially like the apple with the Cumberland stem!
That's the one I originally called to order, then I asked about a billiard and he found one that had not even been put up on the website yet, so it came along for the ride as well.

They make some of the nicest, if not the nicest looking English pipes around.
I think their panelled bulldogs are fantastic, and those two that Hunter picked up are real beauties.
(Especially the apple!)