Fifth Annual Spring Forward Box Pass

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Babs is here again, another special delivery from :afro: himself. This time she's the east version. I've never seen so many sample baggies in my life. Where to begin?

First order of business: Walnut.

I loaded my Meerschaum up with a good amount of the famous blend and I put a match to it. Those first few puffs were very nice indeed. In fact, they were delicious. I decided to settle down and enjoy the ride. But no sooner than five minutes of cruising, the ride was over. Dead stop. I tried to give it some more gas, but there were only bitter fumes. I got out and hailed a cab.
This time it was a fresh bowl of Walnut in a seasoned briar. A Radice bent apple that has recently been the vehicle for likes of Robusto. I put a match to the Walnut/briar combo, and there was that lovely taste again. Mmmmm...... good stuff. This time the ride lasted a good 10 minutes before the fuel ran out. I could taste the bitterness of the exhausted Walnut coming through with the ghost of Robusto trying to keep it in gear. I think I can, I think I can . . . . Dead stop again. I'll just get out and walk this time.

Perhaps Walnut really is the best 5 minute smoke you could ever have. Thanks so much for the sample. I really enjoyed it while it lasted. :cheers:

:lol!:

Best 5 minute smoke.

The first five minutes is just the sulphur from the match.

Sampled the Old Joe Krantz this morning. This one was pretty good, but a little bit too peppery for me. I prefer my perique on the lighter side. I can see why so many people like it though. It's got a very distinct flavor and body to it.

More to follow . . . . . I'm lost in an ocean of baggies.

:pipe: :pipe: :pipe: :pipe: :pipe: :pipe: :pipe: :pipe: :pipe: :pipe:

thomas james":w5cgk4mr said:

Best 5 minute smoke.

The first five minutes is just the sulphur from the match.

For the record, the second bowl was with a butane lighter.

Carry on . . . . . ;)

Mmmmmm........I usually get a good 45 minute ride out of the experience that only gets better with mileage!

Patience men, patience.........

I discovered the bag of "mostly aged" goodies from Dock's personal stash. Uh-oh, here comes trouble. :mrgreen: I chose the "Well Aged Murray's Dunhill London Mixture" for my first sample from that bag. Wow! This was an excellent after dinner smoke. Fantastic. I don't normally have a bowl in the evening, but if I had this blend on hand it would be one of my occasional after dinner smokes.

I feel the same way about Maltese Falcon. Although MF is different than LM, it is also excellent in the evening after dinner, or after a late sunday lunch. It evokes mellow and cozy feelings of peace and contentment. The taste is very satisfying. (I have some MF in the cellar, aging a bit and at the ready. Cellaring the 2oz. tins of MF is a no brainer. Keep up the good work Greg!)

Anyway, back to the Murray's Dunhill London Mixture. Thanks for that special treat Dock. I'll be focusing on that "mostly aged" bag of goodies for the next day or two. It seems to be full of all kinds of neat stuff that I haven't tried yet. I'll check back in when I get a chance to come up for air.

My first bowl of Escudo, ever. (I know, what a newbie :roll: ) Pulled from the magical baggie of Dock's stash.

Not at all like I thought it would be. It was very smooth - creamy in fact. I could not really detect the perique. It was light, yet very well balanced. Smoooooooooooooooooooth.

tin man":1yfej3e9 said:
I discovered the bag of "mostly aged" goodies from Dock's personal stash.
Tin Man,

It's clearly obvious that you and Puff Daddy went to the same school.

The bag was marked "Mostly aged Dock's goodies."

:sleep: 'n in class?

I was sick that day, couldn't get a ride, my dog ate it, lost it on the way, showed up on Saturday, etc. Can I bring a note from home?

Speaking of school, maybe you can explain to me what I smoked this morning. The bag clearly says : "Well Aged McClelland's St. James Flake". I verified this by asking a grown up to read it back to me. :D I had a bowl of this so called WAMSJF with a cup a joe this morning, and I liked it very much. It wasn't as smooth as the Escudo, because it developed a nice strength to it as the bowl progressed. The Ecsudo remained smoooooooth throughout the entire bowl. Very nice indeed this mystery St. James Flake. A great morning pick-me-up.

I looked for it by name on the internet, but I only found St. James Woods by McClelland. Is this a bulk blend with a number asigned to it? Please tell me the answer so I can cheat on the test. :D

Peterson's Irish Flake. Good Lord, knock me over with an anvil. Great taste just before I passed out. Not for the weak of heart nor those made of tin.

I was really looking forward to the sample of Dunhill 965. I picked up the bag and there was a lot of black dust leaking out. I bagged up the original bag so that won't happen to the next guy, and then I took a bowl to sample. Dry as dirt. It started smoldering before I even put a match to it. What the hell, I lit it up anyway. Not much to say here other than Elvis has left the building. These things happen . . . . .

Dorothy,

St. James Flake is by Sam Gawith. To me, it's FVF with perryque.

The 965 was very fresh when I sent it out to the "next" guy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,HE did it.

ps..........Duck!..........Incoming!

I guess I have to apologize for some of the "Dry" stuff in the "East" box (although I don't remember putting in any 965). I guess I should of packed the bulks a little different (live and learn). I should of brought this up before and thank Dock for so kindly "re-stocking" the box with some nice bulks and blends :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: . I will also try and put a larger amount of the individual bulks next time to ensure that everyone gets a try.

No apologies are necessary Mike. There's plenty of great stuff in here to sample. In fact, too much of a good thing in one box for me. All of you guys that are responsible for this east box of joy are to be thanked again. THANKS!

BTW, I figured the St. James Flake was Sam G, but it was a lot more fun to raise my hand and ask the teacher :clown: . I think I just heard the bell ring.

Edgeworth Ready-Rubbed, what a nice surprise. I had a bowl of this but I could still taste the OJK that I smoked in that pipe earlier. So I gave it (ERR) another shot in a different pipe, to smoke it untainted by the ghost of OJK. I really liked ERR, maybe even as much as WBS and Stonehaven. I'll have to order up a bag the next time I place an order. Does it come in tins too, or just the big bag?

Well, I think I've had my fill of Babs. Enough is enough for now. Thanks to everyone for the opportunity.

Takes

Old Gowrie
Robert Lewis 123
Astley's 109

Puts

McClelland Oriental #6, 100g, 2001
SG Best Brown Flake, 50g, 2006
GLP Robusto, 50g, 2007

Sampled

Walnut once,
Walnut twice
Old Joe Krantz
Dunhill London Mixture
Escudo
SG St. James Flake
Dunhill 965
Edgeworth RR once,
Edgeworth RR twice,

Going, going, gone . . . . . . 0308 0070 0000 1405 2536

No blame on you for the dry stuff Mike. That's the nature of plastic bags. I usually try to make sure bags are inside another bag to slow it down. Those hard zip lock containers help for a time.

And some of us just like some blends pretty dry. 'Cause they smoke well. :D

Great passes everybody! I see I am up again pretty soon. Good deal!.

Great pass Tin Man and Mr. Houston.

BAB's "East" and "West" has seen twenty-one people so far. Everyone except Pipetongue1 and JohnR has seen the box at least once. Four people have seen both boxes. "So far" other than a couple of re-routes this pass has gone pretty smoothly and even the re-routes went a lot smoother than I could of expected with no problems what so ever.

Jhuggett looks like "East" box is headed your way. Eggman has the "West" box.