Fill and Forget Tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leacha

Reaction score
I have been smoking a lot of flakes and other cuts that take a little attention if not packed just right. Yesterday I decided to smoke some Carter Hall and after I did a two step fill, char & tamp. I went about my business of messing around in the garden and watching the impending storm. Before I knew it I was done with the bowl without any tamping, ash dump (I like to do one half way through a bowl) or relights (I even set the pipe down a number of times).

Outside of my beloved Sugar Barrel I do not have any other baccys that are “Fill and Forget”. Can you make suggestions, based on experience, of other tobaccos that are like that?

Not really. If I'm interpreting your question right, you've peaked out with Carter Hall (and some of the other OTCs). Everything else seems like a comparative pain in the butt.

I think its more about proper packing and moisture content then the blend itself, no?

I have two "fill and forget" blends that I smoke on a regular basis, one a nice smooth Balkan, Presbyterian and the other one of the FINEST all Va's available, Royal Yacht. Royal Yacht is my "go to" daily smoke and both have the properties you admire about them.  :twisted: 

Different moisture levels and cuts, IMHO, need difrent packing and smoking strategies. But with Carter Hall, Sugar Barrel and Five Brothers are just a stuff, light and go baccy. I was wondering if there are any others out there like 'em. They do not need to be an OTC.

Thanks monbla256 for the suggestions. I have an unopened PM.

Actually, I have better luck with flakes.

It does take a bit more attention to get the flake packed just right and properly lit, but once I get it going, they smoke slow and cool with minimal (if any) relights.

I'm not really one to keep track of relights/tamping (never bothered me much), but anecdotally, I would say that flakes are no-muss no-fuss for me.

I agree about CH--definitely a "set it and forget it" tobacco for me. Another is Weybridge by 4 Noggins. I'd second the Royal Yacht recommendation as well.

Besides Carter Hall, Prince Albert in a cob in a "fill & forget" for me.

fsu92john":5u6ifctw said:
I agree about CH--definitely a "set it and forget it" tobacco for me. Another is Weybridge by 4 Noggins. I'd second the Royal Yacht recommendation as well.
Weybridge has been on my TAD list from 4noggins for a while. The Escudo sale Rhich had was my last big order. I'm going to have to get going on another order with these recommendations.

Thank you all!

Peterson's Irish Oak, I use a medium size bowl because I just LOVE to finish it in one sitting........light up and forget about it until there is no more !

I find this happens with Red Cake 5100 in one of my BSP pipes.

It is interesting to note that different blends work for different people. And not all blends do this in the same pipe. I have a Growley that loves the latakia blends. It smokes only two latakia blends like this... all ash and almost in one light. However, it can't smoke a VA like that. Even if it has the same moisture and consistency levels. It is very strange. So, my recommendation is to reach into your cellar and collection, and find another pipe that smokes another blend perfectly like that. It is my humble opinion that every pipe has a blend it favors. This is a part of the fun.

d4klutz":5wsfopr2 said:

It is interesting to note that different blends work for different people.  And not all blends do this in the same pipe.  I have a Growley that loves the latakia blends.  It smokes only two latakia blends like this... all ash and almost in one light.  However, it can't smoke a VA like that.  Even if it has the same moisture and consistency levels.  It is very strange.  So, my recommendation is to reach into your cellar and collection, and find another pipe that smokes another blend perfectly like that. It is my humble opinion that every pipe has a blend it favors.  This is a part of the fun.
This +1!

Fatman":u3yepsxf said:
d4klutz":u3yepsxf said:

It is interesting to note that different blends work for different people.  And not all blends do this in the same pipe.  I have a Growley that loves the latakia blends.  It smokes only two latakia blends like this... all ash and almost in one light.  However, it can't smoke a VA like that.  Even if it has the same moisture and consistency levels.  It is very strange.  So, my recommendation is to reach into your cellar and collection, and find another pipe that smokes another blend perfectly like that. It is my humble opinion that every pipe has a blend it favors.  This is a part of the fun.
This +1!
+2

Have you ever blended in a wee bit of perique with your Red Cake?

Heavenly stuff, I'm a telling you  :D 

d4klutz":2sec0qpw said:
...It is my humble opinion that every pipe has a blend it favors.  This is a part of the fun.
Well I was smoking a cob with Carter Hall that made me think of the question. Those two are a match made in Heaven. Which now makes me think about blenders and certain pipes....