Film Star

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMacphersonNH

Reaction score
I'm taking part in a film which will be called "Cancer 2.0" about the new treatments of cancer. Part of my segment is about the medications I take each day. Between my cancer and other diseases I take 47 pills, 6 injections, and test 4 times a day. Total cost: $123,670 annually. It's pretty interesting to be followed around by a film crew as you swallow, inject, and get sick all day. But what's amazing is that 15 years ago I'd have a life expectancy of 2.1 years. It's been 7 years since my diagnosis and I'm doing great. So thanks to all those people - medical, researchers, support staff, friends, and family who made it all possible.

image.jpg

Good for you - I can't even imagine.

I read these kinds of stories often, and can't help but think of those that are left behind to their fate due to not having insurance.

DireWolf":nhzttmv2 said:
Good for you - I can't even imagine.

I read these kinds of stories often, and can't help but think of those that are left behind to their fate due to not having insurance.
Thanks Dire. It's amazing to talk to a hemonc and be told 1/3 of the patients have no health insurance and nearly 20% of the people with my disease will file for bankruptcy. I've spent all our retirement and investments (about $1m) to stay alive. Now I simply work to pay for my meds. It's a crazy system no doubt.

TMac...Keep up the good fight. I sincerely hope that one day you will be free of this mess. I will hold you close to my heart and pull for you daily!!! Give'em hell :cheers:

FTRPLT...Cancer survivor.

Inspiring words my friend.
I can't even begin to imagine what you deal with on a day to day basis.
I'm sure your film will raise awareness of an illness that is so indescriminate.

If what you do inspires one person in the fight against cancer God bless ya. I don't know a single person who hasn't been touched by that damned disease in some form or another. I've lost two mother-in-laws, a father-in-law, several great aunts and uncles, my mothers sister currently has it, a dear friend is in remission, and I recently had a scare in my household.

I'm routing for you brother, I mean that from the bottom of my heart. Keep Kicking It's Ass!!!!

Thanks everybody for your comments. I think it will be interesting to see the dichotomy between the advances we've made like immunotherapy and targeted therapies (which is incredible) versus the fact that most of the work is still extraordinarily difficult - long days, longer nights, transfusions, vomiting, bone pain, etc. While its an amazing time to be a cancer patient it still requires the resilient and tenacious patient to make it work. I hope that comes across in the film.

Keep up the fight! Like PB stated, if your story inspires one person - but I know it will inspire more.

I lost my father to cancer in 2012. CANCER SUCKS!

God Bless!

Tom, you are one amazing and strong human. I'm just about speechless after reading what you've detailed here. God bless you man!

RobJ":xrbr93vw said:
Tom, you are one amazing and strong human. I'm just about speechless after reading what you've detailed here. God bless you man!
Thanks Rob. I actually have it easy (with the exception of finding that much money for my meds - that's tough!). Whenever I see an 8 year old in the waiting room - hairless, bloated, with a parent who looks absolutely terrified - I realize how lucky I am.

Mozjo33":uqyucm95 said:
Keep up the fight!  Like PB stated, if your story inspires one person - but I know it will inspire more.

I lost my father to cancer in 2012.  CANCER SUCKS!

God Bless!
Hi Mozjo33. I am sorry for your loss. Thanks for your note. - Tom

Thanks for your work on this subject. I've lost family to this, most recently an uncle. It works it's damage so fast... I'm glad you've hung on so long. You'll have to keep us updated as to when it comes out so we can see it

"You'll have to keep us updated as to when it comes out so we can see it"

Agreed. Please let us know when and how we can watch this.

Fumus":0o4eoprr said:
"You'll have to keep us updated as to when it comes out so we can see it"

Agreed. Please let us know when and how we can watch this.
Will do guys. The funding is a mish mash of not for profit (MacArthur Foundation), corporate (Gilead) and private. My hope is they can find a distribution channel to get it out there.

Thanks everybody for your very kind comments and PMs. It means a great deal when you have one of those low days and have a hard time keeping going.

Tom

I can't even begin to grasp what you're going through Tom. I've lost several Uncles and a close friend to cancer. And have another friend going through the final phase of it right now.

You seem to have a very positive attitude in the face of crisis. Long may you hold onto that attitude. And keep on fighting the good fight.

:cheers:

Cheers,

RR

...many of the thoughts shared are the same as mine...my wife is a transplant survivor and we live daily with some of the things you encounter...Strength and peace to you and those close to you...

Bless you Tom! I wish you great success with the film. I understand all too well your predicament. My 16 yo has had 2 kidney transplants and is back on hemodialysis. I myself take quite a few chemotherapy class meds. I pray you defeat this cancer and get to enjoy many years with your family.

Jim

Thanks everyone. Isn't it amazing how we all have our own burdens to carry. I've found it's important to realize that every time you feel ready to lash out at that person who is rude, condescending, ill tempered, or obnoxious it might they are in the same shoes as you or I. Thanks for sharing your stories.....it's important to realize how much so many of us have in common.

Hey guys. Just wanted to let everyone know the test results came back very bad so I will likely be offline again for awhile. Will have somebody send in updates if I cant. It's been such a pleasure getting to know everyone here and I hope to be able to share some wonderful smokes in the future. See you soon.

Hey friend. Very sorry to learn of your most recent news. My thoughts are with you over this next period and looking forward to sharing time with you on your return. ..
Warmest wishes
Stick.