Filtered Pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

friar_jay

Reaction score
Beginners question here...

The cheap corn cob I have is filtered and from what I saw on the Missouri Meerschaum website all cobs are. Is the filter really that important? If not I may just remove it.

Filters = British, here in America we smoke without them dang pesky things. Okay in reality I pop them all out regardless of whether it is a cob or briar. The cobs I am handing out to guys over here when they want to start pipe smoking I have removed the filters from before I give them out.

A lot of guys will tell you they detest filters, but I have several pipes equipped with filters, and they certainly have their place in my collection.

I enjoy using them when behind the wheel of my truck, as I can usually do without pipe cleaners during that smoking session. Also, I have found that some blends taste much better when moist. A filter will cut down on steam in the mouth, helping to prevent tongue bite.

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the information. For the record I removed the filter from my corn cob the other day. :)

A minority voice: I use, and enjoy, the filters in my cobs, Savs and Medicos.

The only downsides to the filters that I've found is that they do cut down on the flavor of the tobacco and make for a pretty-wide open draw. On come cobs the draw is too open for my preference.

To remedy this, cut a pipe cleaner in half and then fold each piece in half. Put in this piece in place of the paper filter. Save the leftover piece for later. This gives you some restriction in the draw (like the cob was designed for) and helps keep ashes & embers out of the stem and mouth, like the filter did.

Another plus - the cost! Pipe cleaners are quite inexpensive and something we all have on hand anyway. When I do use them in place of the paper filters, I change them out every 3-4 smokes. So that's what - 1 Pipe Cleaner for every 6-8 smokes?

Not bad...

frogjunk":dnl5bzjv said:
A minority voice: I use, and enjoy, the filters in my cobs, Savs and Medicos.
I do as well. I have no problem with the paper filters in cobs or the Savinelli Dry System Balsa filters.

Owning two Vauen Pipes, both of which are excellent smokers, I can say that the activated charcoal filters do affect taste just a touch. However if you have a couple aromatic mixtures or some edgy VA's that you enjoy but you are prone to tongue bite, charcoal filters will help quite a bit with that.

Rob_In_MO":kk424opd said:
The only downsides to the filters that I've found is that they do cut down on the flavor of the tobacco and make for a pretty-wide open draw. On come cobs the draw is too open for my preference.

To remedy this, cut a pipe cleaner in half and then fold each piece in half. Put in this piece in place of the paper filter. Save the leftover piece for later. This gives you some restriction in the draw (like the cob was designed for) and helps keep ashes & embers out of the stem and mouth, like the filter did.
Agreed... I found filters to cut back on flavor more than anything. I tried using filters with Perique, and yeah, it helped--but I might as well been smoking ultra-light cigarettes.

I used to do the pipe cleaner routine in the cob filter hole, but even those got nasty and weird after a while, even when changed every smoke. I do what I call "draft packing" where I fill the bowl to the top, pack it down until the draw is just ever so slightly restricted, top it off, and pack down gently. It's flavorful, and when done right, won't deliver to a tongue a stray ember or ash toward the end. Tamping is also done very sparingly, if at all.

8)

I went ahead and order two Missouri Meerschaum pipes a few minutes back. The Ozark Mountain Hardwood (Cherry) and the Country Gentleman and some Medico filters to go with it. After removing the filter and smoking out of the cob pipe I have I see the benefit in something being in there to stop the little pieces of ash and such.

Sounds great, Jay. I'm sure you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of that order.

The Country Gentleman is one of my favorites by MM, and mine is a great smoker.

Another technique for you to try (and I do more often that not) is to use the Savinelli 6mm Balsa filters. If you press in slightly on the edges of the balsa filters, they slide right in - taking the place of the paper filter.

The balsa filter does a great job of providing a bit of restriction, acting as an ash-catcher, and filtering out some of the gunk without affecting the flavor. But like the others, you have to change the balsa filters fairly often (3-4 smokes) or they can turn rank.

Thanks for the suggestion Rob. I'll have to look into the Savinelli 6mm Balsa filters.

Thanks for posting about the Sav filters Rob, I'll be giving it a try too.

Naturally, I tried the balsa filters and found a weird tannin-like flavor with them, so I just forwent all filters. :pale: I hate being so palate-sensitive sometimes.

Figures. Oh well, adapt and smoke. 8)