Filters

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terencej

Reaction score
Do everyone smoke with filters or without? what is the positives/negatives of smoking with a filter?

Not all pipes are tapped for filter use. I avoid them.

Filter Pros:

* Moisture abatement (that is, until the smoker leaves them in for so long they solidify and stop working)

* Good feeling about smoking (I'm healthier because the filter is trapping what I think is all the 'bad stuff'!)

* Hip 'n' cool in Germany (...they're all doing it, so it must be the thing to do)

Filter Cons:

* They're a pipe tampon. If you don't change them out frequently, it's a disgusting mess.

* They filter out almost nothing except flavor (they aren't "healthier"--it's smoking: it is what it is)

* They stink, unless they're brand-new

* They hinder new smokers from learning nuances of smoking pipes by affecting draw, moisture content and covering up tobacco flavors--all keys as to how to smoke. (Square training wheels).

And on.

There's a big difference between the rolls of paper known as the "Medico" filters and the balsa wood triangles available for Savinelli pipes. While most guys swear off the paper Medico filters, there's quite a few who use the Sav wood filters and actually enjoy them. I'm not one of them. I won't even buy a pipe that is set up for a filter, except cobs, which can be smoked without them without a problem. Otherwise, a filterless filter pipe is another ball of wax to contend with (and can be a pain in the arse).

Just my take.

8)

I use filters, but only in my aquariums. Now if my pipes had fish poop in them, I would use a filter. Thinking about the previous sentence, I find the very idea exceptionally unappealing..

bosun1":k4zdxhln said:
I use filters, but only in my aquariums. Now if my pipes had fish poop in them, I would use a filter. Thinking about the previous sentence, I find the very idea exceptionally unappealing..
...that's what Mixture 79 and Borkum Riff use to be "green." Which makes me green, too, in the face and stomach. :alien: Filters for 79 or BR is acceptable.

8)

I smoke some of my pipes with filters & some without. On my filtered pipes i like the Savinelli 6 & 9mm balsa filters. You'll probly get a lot of slack from the purist for using a filter but i say **** it smoke what you want how you want & don't give a shit what others think. Oh ya & did i mention i prefer aro's.

If you have a pipe that takes filters, try it out. I find my Sav balsa wood inserts work for certain types of tobacco. For tobaccos where flavor is a nuance I prefer filterless.

I've smoked some pipes with filters ( mostly the balsa type) over the years and found I enjoyed my smokes more without 'em. I have "filter" pipes that I now smoke without 'em without any discernable smoking needs to modify 'em. But after all the years of consuming 'bac I probably don't have as discerning a palate any more :p . Give 'em a try both with/without with the same 'bac and decide for yourself. It's your 'bac, your pipes your decision :p

At first I used to use them, now I don't. I do have some filters laying around I should use to get rid of them. IMO they don't take the flavor away, but it's just a hassle remembering to swap'em out. It's your call. Try using them and see how if it does anything for ya.

Nupe. Filters and stingers both go straight in the bin. Keep it simple sez eye.

The Brigham's an interesting design, but the couple I own smoke great without 'em.

I like to run a pipe cleaner through the pipe between bowls. I can't do that with a filter in the way.

Kim

I do not use them. Even if the pipe is set up so. What do mean by a ball of wax? I have not found a down side to smoking a filtered pipe, with out its filter in place.

Andy